Poll: Would you like to see a Gunsmithing subforum?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you like to see a Gunsmithing Subforum?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Had a good discussion about this. There are concerns as with any changes. We will see. Patience.

Oh, I should get out of the hospital soon when I heal from the beating security gave me when they heard we were talking about this..............:):

It was Frank wasn't it? I knew he was Fenway's personal security guard.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Thanks for taking one for the team.:rockwoot: I am starting on a semi-auto Sten gun build that would be good posting in a build forum. I will post about it in the regular forums.

We'll see what happens.

:popcorn:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'd be happy with ONE gunsmithing subforum. I dont think we really need a major topic with multiple sub-forms for each and every type like the main forums (long guns, handguns, etc). I dont think the intermingling of the various types of 'smithing would be anywhere near as bad as the individual 'smithing threads that get buried quickly within the main forums.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    If they do a Smithing sub forum I don't think it would be any more work to do sub groups. Like "Long gun's" "Hand guns" Lumping everything in to one would be messy. But I would be happy with messy at this point!

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Personally I would love to see a gunsmithing sub-forum, they are usually my favorite threads. I can also see the logic that if we had one it would have an affect that would promote more contributions. In other words I anticipate some 'build it and they will come' affect but the extent is impossible to say ahead of time.

That being said, I'm not the owner, nor do I know much about how to effectively manage a social forum like this but it is my understanding that the decision is largely a function of activity. If memory serves me right the logic is basically centered around keeping the site from having dead spots. The method to get this to happen was explained in response to previous petitions (again, IIRC). If the method wasn't spelled out as such lets get it written down.
    1. Try to let everyone know that if you are starting a thread that could possibly belong in a gunsmithing sub-forum include the work "gunsmithing" in the title.
    1a. If you see a thread that could qualify that isn't titled as such either PM the author asking them to add "gunsmithing" to the title (include a link to this post?), and/or use the report function to get the MODs to add it to the title.

2. This allows us (anyone really) to simply use the search function and enter "gunsmithing" and pull up all the threads. This particular search can be handy for 2 things:
    A) It would help the owner/management gauge when there is enough activity to open a new sub-forum. If the new threads and posts conjure the image :tumbleweed: then I can see the logic of not wanting to look like an inactive site. Where that line is??? Not for me to say.
    B) Prior to getting a sub-forum, the search can be used to create a 'poor mans' sub-forum by pulling all the threads together. Again, this only works if we get the word out to properly title the threads and have everyone help recognize and find threads that could be titled this way.

I just did a search of "gunsmithing" and the results were not great. I did not, however, start looking for threads that could have been titled that way. Lets get it going! I'd love to see one but it has been explained each time that it isn't going to be a function of saying "X number of members want one!", it is going to be a function of activity...new posts, threads, and contribution that justify it.

I think the first step to get one would be to go find all the threads that should have showed up in a "gunsmithing" search that didn't because they were not titled as such. PM the author or report the thread so it can be edited to show up in the search. GO!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    If memory serves me right the logic is basically centered around keeping the site from having dead spots.

The closest subforum that INGO currently has that mimics such a format would be the Real World Reviews section. And even THAT is fairly slow-moving. The problem I see with a dedicated gunsmithing forum is that it would be even slower, as reviews are currently posted much more frequently than gunsmithing projects are. I don't yet see that the content is so great that it warrants its own separate place.

Your idea of titling threads with "Gunsmithing:" is a good one. This would indeed help show the demand, as well as act as a way to filter out those threads for those interested in searching.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    The closest subforum that INGO currently has that mimics such a format would be the Real World Reviews section. And even THAT is fairly slow-moving. The problem I see with a dedicated gunsmithing forum is that it would be even slower, as reviews are currently posted much more frequently than gunsmithing projects are. I don't yet see that the content is so great that it warrants its own separate place.

Your idea of titling threads with "Gunsmithing:" is a good one. This would indeed help show the demand, as well as act as a way to filter out those threads for those interested in searching.

To be fair, the reason why the "real world reviews" subforum isn't that active is because lots of people don't know that they have to PM a MOD to have their review posted in that subforum. There have been several reviews, but never posted in that forum.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

I think you accidentally just reinforced the point of why we DO need one.

gunsmithing tends to be fairly low traffic as there isnt a ton of work being posted. Therefore you will miss alot of the smithing stuff because it gets buried in all the "noise" of the other posts in the forum.

Set up a dedicated smithing forum and you wont have to try to search for projects, miss ones that the OP didnt tag correctly, etc. The projects will be there, easy to find, and wont get buried in all the other chatter. I think thats the whole point of the push for a dedicated forum; so that the projects dont get buried.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I think you accidentally just reinforced the point of why we DO need one.

gunsmithing tends to be fairly low traffic as there isnt a ton of work being posted. Therefore you will miss alot of the smithing stuff because it gets buried in all the "noise" of the other posts in the forum.

Set up a dedicated smithing forum and you wont have to try to search for projects, miss ones that the OP didnt tag correctly, etc. The projects will be there, easy to find, and wont get buried in all the other chatter. I think thats the whole point of the push for a dedicated forum; so that the projects dont get buried.

..and I think you accidentally just reinforced the point of why Fenway feels like we do not need one. :)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    No, thats the point. its a specific topic that quickly gets buried in all the generic crap in each forum.

I had no idea that administering yet another single subforum with admittedly a relatively low post count is soooo difficult. So lets get rid of the vendor section. I see VERY few posts in those forums compared to the majors like break room, long guns, hand guns, etc. If the threshold of whether a subforum is created is based on activity, those need to go as they arent as "popular" as the mains. :p

So what, does Fenway pay the hosting company, vbulletin, etc per subforum? is that the reason? If its that low traffic, will it REALLY be that much of a burden to manage and keep up? :stickpoke:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    No, thats the point. its a specific topic that quickly gets buried in all the generic crap in each forum.

I had no idea that administering yet another single subforum with admittedly a relatively low post count is soooo difficult. So lets get rid of the vendor section. I see VERY few posts in those forums compared to the majors like break room, long guns, hand guns, etc. If the threshold of whether a subforum is created is based on activity, those need to go as they arent as "popular" as the mains. :p

So what, does Fenway pay the hosting company, vbulletin, etc per subforum? is that the reason? If its that low traffic, will it REALLY be that much of a burden to manage and keep up? :stickpoke:

Let me ask you this.. Do you think being negative and snarky about it is how to convince Fenway it is needed?
    Bottom line is it is his house, and if he thinks it doesn't benefit in his house, then it won't be here..

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Let me ask you this.. Do you think being negative and snarky about it is how to convince Fenway it is needed?
    Bottom line is it is his house, and if he thinks it doesn't benefit in his house, then it won't be here..

Well, being nice and polite wasnt working, time for a new tack? :laugh: I guess I should have used more purple and less emoticons.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I did not see that as being negative and snarky. Maybe a bit but he is trying to push his desires as we all are. It is like with any discussion/debate/argument....you escalate your tone to fit the emotions in the room....or forum. Nothing more. JMHO of course.

Not sure about others but I would become a site supporter for this.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I did not see that as being negative and snarky. Maybe a bit but he is trying to push his desires as we all are. It is like with any discussion/debate/argument....you escalate your tone to fit the emotions in the room....or forum. Nothing more. JMHO of course.

Not sure about others but I would become a site supporter for this.

Me to. Not having a gunsmithing forum is the reason I stopped paying for the site supporter status anyways.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So we have the chicken (gunsmithing forum) and the egg (gunsmithing threads). Some say we need the chicken first. Others say we need the egg first.

At this point it sounds like Fenway wants the eggs first. I'd personally really like to see more technical information like gunsmithing how-tos on INGO.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So we have the chicken (gunsmithing forum) and the egg (gunsmithing threads). Some say we need the chicken first. Others say we need the egg first.

At this point it sounds like Fenway wants the eggs first. I'd personally really like to see more technical information like gunsmithing how-tos on INGO.

Not trying to bribe anyone.....:shady: But if a few who want this defrayed some of the expense involved would that help??

I feel a technical how to info area would be beneficial to the entire site but that is just me being self centered.

Top Bottom