Poll: Would you like to see a Gunsmithing subforum?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you like to see a Gunsmithing Subforum?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    I would like one. It would give me something to read when I open carry my AR into various free WIFI hot-spots.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    whoops, Ment to select yes but accidentally voted no (Guess I shouldn't multitask while INGOing ). I like to tinker and would like to see how people accomplish tasks.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I don't see people asking about triggers or other parts for who knows what, that's why there's this.... Accessories and Gear

Make a sticky on how to build an AR lower, and move the gunsmiths in Indiana thread over there, maybe a few more. And who cares if people put a bunch of slightly off topic questions. It happens in all the subforums.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Please, can we....please.

Agreed!

I voted yes but I don't see it happening. This is delving into an area that could be construed as an area of potential liability risk for the site owner that probably can't be minimized by a liability policy. If it could even be purchased much less affordable.

Uhm... I kind of doubt it. We have a reloading/ammo subforum. I'm sure people mess up handloading frequently and damage guns, etc. There are car/mechanic forums all over the place, I'm sure people post all kinds of mechanically unsound info on those and you don't see them getting sued out of existence.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I think we absolutely need a smithing forum. It's the one big glaring "hole" of INGO. A very large part of most any gun forum I visit is the gunsmithing section where people can ask questions, post their latest projects, or get recommendations on a smith for a project that is outside their ability. Without that section on INGO I feel that we are lacking a great resource that could be exploited by the membership here.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    You ever wanted to know how to convert an old Norinco Hunter into a more recognizable AK ? You won't find it on INGO .

You ever wanted to see a step by step pictorials on how to properly crush AK rivets in your garage without special , purpose made tools or screwing them up ? You won't see it on INGO .

You ever wanted to see a video / pictorials on shaving new hand guards / parts to fit them to a gun ? You won't see it on INGO .

You ever wanted to see a video on how to polish feed ramps without screwing them up ? You won't see it on INGO .

Notice the pattern here ? YOU WON'T SEE / FIND IT ON INGO .

No , you'll have to go spend time on other forums tracking down the info your looking for and hope the guy 5 states over knows what he's talking about since he's not in the same state and you can't take it over and ask him to check out if what you've done is right .

You can talk , joke , argue , get together and shoot guns but you can't find info on how to work on them on INGO .

Makes no sense . It's the one thing (and a free fire zone) that's missing on INGO .

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    i vote yes. there are enough new gun owners that have always been tinkerers in other things that a question on a gunsmithing forum might save them some money, grief, or time. new 10-22 owners are a prime example that dont know about rimfire central, ar owners as have been posted about above different installs etc.

since i've retired i've been involved in helping out a few people that needed it and didnt know where to start.

YES

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    @indygunworks you never give up! I voted yes, again. One day all this hard work will pay off and you will be remembered in the history books!

It has to see more traffic then the real world reviews is seeing!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    At first I thought they were turning down the idea since I brought it up and was running a smithing business at the time, but I have been running that for over a year now and have turned it down 3 times since then so I don't understand anymore.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    We will just keep asking! Mean while there is weaponsguild.com and homegunsmithing.com. I would rather spend more time here though. Just don't let this subject die! I am behind you 100% Indy

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I saw the 2 no's and had to find out who and why. 1 I get.....the other, maybe but I would still like to see something along these lines done here.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Perfect example of why we need a gunsmithing only forum:

After seeing many requests on here for the one-time or occasional use of a barrel vice I realized I have one that sits in my toolbox 99.9% of the time so I began offering it up to other members. That led to an idea of having a "Tool loaner thread". Such threads are a great success on other forums. So I started it. It slipped off the top page of "General Firearms Discussions" the first day and is now lost in all the other "stuff" likely to never resurface without a bump from somebody else. A gunsmithing forums would likely see a thread like that get tacked at the top and become a great success. 2 members have used the vice with great success and I'm very happy to loan my tools to other members, but those members have no way to make the "connection" to my tools that are available for loaning out when my thread is lost in all of the general discussion threads.

The thread in question: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...n/319537-gunsmithing-loaner-tool-program.html

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Perfect example of why we need a gunsmithing only forum:

After seeing many requests on here for the one-time or occasional use of a barrel vice I realized I have one that sits in my toolbox 99.9% of the time so I began offering it up to other members. That led to an idea of having a "Tool loaner thread". Such threads are a great success on other forums. So I started it. It slipped off the top page of "General Firearms Discussions" the first day and is now lost in all the other "stuff" likely to never resurface without a bump from somebody else. A gunsmithing forums would likely see a thread like that get tacked at the top and become a great success. 2 members have used the vice with great success and I'm very happy to loan my tools to other members, but those members have no way to make the "connection" to my tools that are available for loaning out when my thread is lost in all of the general discussion threads.

The thread in question: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...n/319537-gunsmithing-loaner-tool-program.html

I would generally not loan out any of my gun related tools unless I knew who wanted them very well. Every time I loan something out to an acquaintance it is returned damaged or I have to track it down. Most of my smith tools are spec. 1911 and none of them are really cheap.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I wouldn't load out a lot of my more delicate tools, but something like a barrel vise I would loan out no problem. Same thing with an AR barrel block, or multi tool.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I wouldn't load out a lot of my more delicate tools, but something like a barrel vise I would loan out no problem. Same thing with an AR barrel block, or multi tool.

I loaned my AR vice block and barrel tools to a good friend. He somehow (:dunno:) broke the vice block and damaged the tool. I never saw the gun he was attempting to work on. He did replace the tools.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom