Poll: Would you like to see a Gunsmithing subforum?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you like to see a Gunsmithing Subforum?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I feel a technical how to info area would be beneficial to the entire site but that is just me being self centered.

I think so too. But if people aren't posting the info now, it's not like it's going to magically appear when a new subforum is created.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    For a while there I was adding a gunsmithing tag to a lot of threads, and there were a lot of threads with the title gunsmithing. I had tried what was proposed here by PMing the author of several threads asking the author to change the title to "gunsmithing:" I don't think a single one was changed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think so too. But if people aren't posting the info now, it's not like it's going to magically appear when a new subforum is created.

You may be surprised at how much attention this would receive. That said I may be just as surprised if it doesn't. It may be a handful at first but if there is a designated thread to go and ask questions about the maint./repair/modification of specific guns that may be a plus to everyone.

I know we can ask in the hand guns long guns but there is so much other noise in there about so much else these specific questions get lost.

Again....JMHO of course.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Me to. Not having a gunsmithing forum is the reason I stopped paying for the site supporter status anyways.

Funny you mentioned that... I just pared down my PM box size to the 50 limit because my site-supporter status expires at the end of the month. I don't plan to renew for the same reason you mentioned... if our voices aren't being heard or are being ignored, we certainly have our right to take our support monies elsewhere... and take our gunsmithing threads elsewhere as well... there are other forums targeted to IN firearms owners that DO have gunsmithing sub-forums...

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I am going to keep supporting the INGO. I get enough info and enjoyment for my money. I don't thing stomping feet and taking away money is going to change anything. More Gunsmithing post and positive reactions to them are the best way to show the need and or the interest in having one.

I have started a project. Comments welcome.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...*-building-sten-mark-ii-semi-auto-pistol.html

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Just curious but would you be willing to take the time to take pictures, upload them, and write up a creative post knowing it would be buried deep in all the other mumbo-jumbo?

Me? My free-time is way too precious to mess with that knowing that within 6 hours it will be off the first page and forever buried never to be seen again unless somebody knew about it and specifically searched it up. You want evidence of that? Try to find the "gunsmith loaner tool" thread I linked earlier in this thread. Within the first day of posting that it fell to page 2 of General Firearms, within a week it was far beyond where most people go looking for in causal forum reading.... now, a few weeks later it's "lost forever". Nobody will EVER know that the thread exists and that I'm willing to loan out smithing tools to other members unless it is specifically referenced or searched for by a member...

You want stuff to appear there has to be a reasonable place for it and IMHO, General Firearms is NOT a reasonable place... but that is just my opinion and my opinion counts for nothing...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just curious but would you be willing to take the time to take pictures, upload them, and write up a creative post knowing it would be buried deep in all the other mumbo-jumbo?

Me? My free-time is way too precious to mess with that knowing that within 6 hours it will be off the first page and forever buried never to be seen again unless somebody knew about it and specifically searched it up. You want evidence of that? Try to find the "gunsmith loaner tool" thread I linked earlier in this thread. Within the first day of posting that it fell to page 2 of General Firearms, within a week it was far beyond where most people go looking for in causal forum reading.... now, a few weeks later it's "lost forever". Nobody will EVER know that the thread exists and that I'm willing to loan out smithing tools to other members unless it is specifically referenced or searched for by a member...

You want stuff to appear there has to be a reasonable place for it and IMHO, General Firearms is NOT a reasonable place... but that is just my opinion and my opinion counts for nothing...

THIS is the point I was trying to make. Thank you for making it more eloquently than I ever could. Rep inbound...

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    THIS is the point I was trying to make. Thank you for making it more eloquently than I ever could. Rep inbound...

Personally I don't care if my post stay on the page for 2 minutes or 2 days. It's not about fame. It's about sharing info, experience and learning something new. I am more then willing to take the time. And I always look back threw a 24 hr period to see if there is anything interesting. Some of us will take the time. Just because you don't doesn't mean no one else will!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

I do this very thing quite frequently. In fact I spend more time than most putting together informative posts. Some are quickly buried, while other stay at the top. You know what this tells me? Some topics are more interesting to INGOers than others.

If a gunsmithing thread quickly falls off the first page of threads then people weren't interested enough in it to comment. So that doesn't exactly help your case for needing a gunsmithing forum. If such a need existed and such topics were popular, I think we'd see more interest when those kinds of threads popped up.

I do get what you're saying in regards to archiving and retrieval. But that's an issue for ANY thread on ANY topic. Generally we use keyword and tag searching for such things.

My advice to those lobbying for this new subforum-- do the preliminary work so the Staff doesn't have to. Make it as simple for them as flipping the switch and letting it run. This means gathering a list of users that would actively "support" and engage in such a forum. Then compare those numbers to the numbers of members actively engaging in other areas of the site. Also comb through all past pertinent posts and tag them with "gunsmithing" so that you can quickly reference and get an idea of how many threads could belong in such a subforum. This will go far for your cause.

If it's of any value-- the last several subforums that were created have been some of the least-used areas of the site. I can see why Fenway is cautious.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    Lafayette
    Think this would be a good idea even for as a portfolio for gunsmiths to show off some of there work as well. Even be good for others as a visual reference if we want to "do it ourselves"

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Fenway -

If You Build It - They Will Come.

I really think a a gunsmithing forum would be cool. But from what I have seen from my gunsmithing post it may not be hopeful. I have had a post up for a week It has 25 responses. A lot of them are my comments. over 500 views. I seen a post a new leather holster 20 hours ago. It has almost 450 views. with 35 comments.

People aren't looking at or responding to many gunsmithing post. They seem more interested in holsters :-( Given time and a lot more gunsmithing threads it might catch on. I am going to keep posting projects and be hopeful the interest will rise.

If you see a project that you like please show support and comment or know one will take us seriously. Mean while I will be surfing the weaponsguild,com forum. They do a lot over there.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I really think a a gunsmithing forum would be cool. But from what I have seen from my gunsmithing post it may not be hopeful. I have had a post up for a week It has 25 responses. A lot of them are my comments. over 500 views. I seen a post a new leather holster 20 hours ago. It has almost 450 views. with 35 comments.

People aren't looking at or responding to many gunsmithing post. They seem more interested in holsters :-( Given time and a lot more gunsmithing threads it might catch on. I am going to keep posting projects and be hopeful the interest will rise.

If you see a project that you like please show support and comment or know one will take us seriously. Mean while I will be surfing the weaponsguild,com forum. They do a lot over there.

Ah -
    But what you didn't realize is I have never seen your thread before because I don't regularly hang out in the "Handgun" section.
    If there was a "Gunsmith" Section on INGO, I would be visiting there as often as I do my other favorite sections.

BTW -
    I have NOW subscribed to your Sten Build - now that I know about it.
    I still may or may not comment in your thread unless I had a specific question for you on the build so don't take offense on the lack of postings. But I am indeed interested in it and all other builds and gunsmith questions people here have regardless on how lost all their posts and threads get because there is no designated place to put them.

See how that worked.

If You Build It - They Will Come. :ingo:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Ah -
    But what you didn't realize is I have never seen your thread before because I don't regularly hang out in the "Handgun" section.
    If there was a "Gunsmith" Section on INGO, I would be visiting there as often as I do my other favorite sections.

BTW -
    I have NOW subscribed to your Sten Build - now that I know about it.
    I still may or may not comment in your thread unless I had a specific question for you on the build so don't take offense on the lack of postings. But I am indeed interested in it and all other builds and gunsmith questions people here have regardless on how lost all their posts and threads get because there is no designated place to put them.

See how that worked.

If You Build It - They Will Come. :ingo:

I think you are right. People do flock to areas of interest. Another issue maybe that there might have been more interest in a rifle? I don't know. I am hopeful that the ideal of a gunsmithing area catches on. Thanks Duck for the encouragement!

Top Bottom