Not open for further replies.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Some very good comments. Prude is a funny word for a saved person to throw out. You are correct there is no hierarchy of sin. One lie will send you to hell.

So I can preach against deceit. I can preach against murder. I can even preach against adultery and incest. (though that is pretty close to being added to a hate map) If i preach against sodomy and fornication (that is the one that covers all of the other sexual sins that Kut thinks are defined by sodomy) I am definitely going to wind up on the SPLC list.

I will preach the whole council of G-d. If it offends you do not listen.

I have dealt with men in relationships with other men. I have not once confronted them on that sin. I have confronted them on sin and the remedy for sin. I have done it lovingly and tenderly and of those I'v spoken to I have seen only one accept Christ as their Saviour. I am confident I will see him in Heaven.

Christianity is not about hate and condemnation, it is about love and acceptance. Not of sin, but of sinners of whom I am one.

John 3:16 + 17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Preach hard against every sin, bit love sinners.

As for my Bible, when you have the best don't change.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Some very good comments. Prude is a funny word for a saved person to throw out.

Not really. The church has a long history of prudish and downright unbiblical view of sex.

If it's just you and your spouse: play ball!

Why use the antiquated terms "sodomy and fornication" and not just say exactly what the Bible is saying: Sex outside the of a historical Christian model of marriage? :dunno:

The whole point of language it is to communicate thoughts; and if you use words not understood, then you've failed to communicate.

As for my Bible, when you have the best, don't change.

:rolleyes:

That always befuddles me, because, (A) the KJV is confusing because many words have changed in meaning, and (B) there's a whole lot of inaccuracies in that outmoded translation. It seems like it's more of a tribal thing, i.e. a marker to know who the "true Christians" are. Furthermore, (and I don't know you, so this isn't directed at you) KJV only Christians tend to have an air of superiority about them - "we're all sinners! But you need to get on the straight and narrow path like me! ... and by 'me', I mean just like me and have the exact same doctrine, ethics, and dress code as me. Because my interpretation of scripture is correct and not soiled by hoity-toity theologians."

If you like the stilted language, then you be you; but don't try and tell us that it's a superior translation to all others.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Not really. The church has a long history of prudish and downright unbiblical view of sex.

If it's just you and your spouse: play ball!

Why use the antiquated terms "sodomy and fornication" and not just say exactly what the Bible is saying: Sex outside the of a historical Christian model of marriage? :dunno:

The whole point of language it is to communicate thoughts; and if you use words not understood, then you've failed to communicate.

:rolleyes:

That always befuddles me, because, (A) the KJV is confusing because many words have changed in meaning, and (B) there's a whole lot of inaccuracies in that outmoded translation. It seems like it's more of a tribal thing, i.e. a marker to know who the "true Christians" are. Furthermore, (and I don't know you, so this isn't directed at you) KJV only Christians tend to have an air of superiority about them - "we're all sinners! But you need to get on the straight and narrow path like me! ... and by 'me', I mean just like me and have the exact same doctrine, ethics, and dress code as me. Because my interpretation of scripture is correct and not soiled by hoity-toity theologians."

If you like the stilted language, then you be you; but don't try and tell us that it's a superior translation to all others.

It is.

Some are just to lazy to use a dictionary and expand their horizons.

You obviously understand the words, what is your problem.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It is.

Some are just to lazy to use a dictionary and expand their horizons.

You obviously understand the words, what is your problem.
    I think it's more profitable to expand one's horizon in Koine Greek, Hebrew or Latin than archaic English.

I think anymore conversation on that specific topic will be deleterious. Besides, this isn't the right thread.

Did you have any comment on first part of my post?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think there are threads better suited for people to argue about which sacred test version is better, and what that even means.

BTW I had no problem understanding what BF is saying. I strongly suspect the participants in this thread understand it too.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I think there are threads better suited for people to argue about which sacred test version is better, and what that even means.

BTW I had no problem understanding what BF is saying. I strongly suspect the participants in this thread understand it too.

I think we all do, it's just... well.. archaic and off-putting.

I'm not sure if BF would use that word when talking to a gay couple. It's kind of like trying discuss race relations and using the term "colored" or "negro". You're just going turn the whole conversion sour.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Now. About ****ing. I mean, that’s what we’re talking about here. It’s fine to have an opinion about how people should and shouldn’t do it. Even if it’s a religious opinion. It’s not fine to impose your way on other people. You believe something, then YOU live it yourself. You think ***-****ing is an abomination, then don’t do it. As long as those people who do aren’t harming you or others—and again, I’m not entertaining silly false equivalencies of “harm”—it’s not your business.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

I'm not sure if BF would use that word when talking to a gay couple. It's kind of like trying discuss race relations and using the term "colored" or "negro". You're just going turn the whole conversion sour.

Damn it read what I said!

I would not use smoking when talking to a smoker about salvation!

Use your head the discussion turned to SPLC lists. I was saying there are Churches that are doing no more than preaching The Bible on their list.

Most mature Christians do not accost people on the street and point out their particular sins. Many will attempt to tell you how they have received forgiveness for their sins and how you can receive the same free gift.

I was not trying to start a discussion on comparative religions or bible/Bible versions.

This is my last post on this subject. It amazes me that those thartBELIEVE any new version bible is OK, but when I quote the King James Bible they take exception, usually stating that INGOers are too dumb to understand what I am saying.

This is the progressive model. If I don't agree with you I am a Luddite.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Damn it read what I said!

I would not use smoking when talking to a smoker about salvation!

Use your head the discussion turned to SPLC lists. I was saying there are Churches that are doing no more than preaching The Bible on their list.

Most mature Christians do not accost people on the street and point out their particular sins. Many will attempt to tell you how they have received forgiveness for their sins and how you can receive the same free gift.

I was not trying to start a discussion on comparative religions or bible/Bible versions.

This is my last post on this subject. It amazes me that those thartBELIEVE any new version bible is OK, but when I quote the King James Bible they take exception, usually stating that INGOers are too dumb to understand what I am saying.

This is the progressive model. If I don't agree with you I am a Luddite.
    Fine, you're a luddite and I'm dumb - what ever you want.

Wait... is all this talk about the SPLC? They seem to cast a wide net... a very wide net.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Yes they do my point is that I trust absolutely nothing they say.

I used the example of D James Kennedy, Founder of Focus on the Family as an example of how easy it is to get on their hate lists.

It is funny that people that believe the solution to the "homosexual problem" is to throw them off tall buildings find them on the SPLC's protected list.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yes they do my point is that I trust absolutely nothing they say.

I used the example of D James Kennedy, Founder of Focus on the Family as an example of how easy it is to get on their hate lists.

It is funny that people that believe the solution to the "homosexual problem" is to throw them off tall buildings find them on the SPLC's protected list.

But you seem to trust almost everything Trump says. I having a hard time reconciling that trust, when you so freely speak of yourdisdain for "Sodomites."

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    First I have no more disdain for sodomites than drunkards. 'nough said for normal people.

Second never know what you are talking about when you say trump said something lie/stupid/crude/otherwise, because,
    1. I never listen to the MSM
    2. I never listen to Trump.

I liken your interest to someone that has a few shares of stock and checks the paper/internet/financial tv shows. every morning and evening.

Whereas I look at it like a guy that has a few shares of stock and is pressurized when he gets a dividend check.

Try once in a while checking an article on what He has accomplished in two short years.

Then again don't, you may burst into flame.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    You are the only one that matters.

Keep telling yourself that, try channeling Kut or alp.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Archaic and off putting are social constructs used by social activists to oppress people of the book.

Sorry. Just practicing my problematization skillz.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom