ZEoROpI.gif

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Think it through. A local EMS worker shouldn't pay ANY taxes? Federal? State? Local? Property? Sales? Either way, does an EMS worker consume services other than what he or she provides through taxpayer funding? They should pay taxes like everyone else and they are just as constitutionally protected as any other citizen.

I think he meant federal, state, and local payroll taxes, Jamil. Property and sales taxes depend on whether you own property or buy things, obviously, but his reasoning is that it makes no sense for gov't to take tax money to pay an gov't employee and then take that money right back from him. Essentially, it would mean that my pay would be some percentage lower than that of a medic employed by a private company, but I wouldn't be participating in the 1040 bureaucracy every year, either, while employed there. Conversely, I wouldn't be able to vote, either, at least not in county elections, if I was a county employee, but I'd still be able to vote in the General for federal, state, and city offices, so long as I wasn't employed by any of those entities as well. (Most folks I know of in EMS work at least two jobs to make ends meet.)

I'll keep my vote, thanks, and pay my taxes, and look for loopholes just like everyone else does, and keep the right to b***h about the government as I see fit. :p

Blessings,
    Bill

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think he meant federal, state, and local payroll taxes, Jamil. Property and sales taxes depend on whether you own property or buy things, obviously, but his reasoning is that it makes no sense for gov't to take tax money to pay an gov't employee and then take that money right back from him. Essentially, it would mean that my pay would be some percentage lower than that of a medic employed by a private company, but I wouldn't be participating in the 1040 bureaucracy every year, either, while employed there. Conversely, I wouldn't be able to vote, either, at least not in county elections, if I was a county employee, but I'd still be able to vote in the General for federal, state, and city offices, so long as I wasn't employed by any of those entities as well. (Most folks I know of in EMS work at least two jobs to make ends meet.)

I'll keep my vote, thanks, and pay my taxes, and look for loopholes just like everyone else does, and keep the right to b***h about the government as I see fit. :p

Blessings,
    Bill

I understand that. I guess I wasn't clear. I'll try to explain the thought this way. Not to taxing government workers at all just because they work for the government, doesn't make the bottom line more balanced. It would need to be a complicated formula to make it balance.

My argument isn't philosophical. It's that I don't think the math works out because many services governments employ people to provide are funded by more than just one government entity. And government consumers, like any consumers, consume way more government services than the value of what they provide.

My philosophical argument would be that we wouldn't have this conversation if the employer for EMS services is not the government.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Right, I'm just against the recycling portion of the taxation. The rest should remain the same. You should retain all of your voting rights, etc... I'm only saying that if county taxes are what pays your salary, you shouldn't then pay back into the same bucket. That makes no sense. But retain everything else.
    I think he meant federal, state, and local payroll taxes, Jamil. Property and sales taxes depend on whether you own property or buy things, obviously, but his reasoning is that it makes no sense for gov't to take tax money to pay an gov't employee and then take that money right back from him. Essentially, it would mean that my pay would be some percentage lower than that of a medic employed by a private company, but I wouldn't be participating in the 1040 bureaucracy every year, either, while employed there. Conversely, I wouldn't be able to vote, either, at least not in county elections, if I was a county employee, but I'd still be able to vote in the General for federal, state, and city offices, so long as I wasn't employed by any of those entities as well. (Most folks I know of in EMS work at least two jobs to make ends meet.) I'll keep my vote, thanks, and pay my taxes, and look for loopholes just like everyone else does, and keep the right to b***h about the government as I see fit. :p Blessings, Bill

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Reading the details of the case, both he and his wife were pretty scummy. But being scummy isn't against the law. They took the stuff but didn't give any stuff in return other than giving access to the system. Although the court said what the McCuliffs did isn't ordinary, what is ordinary is people with connections and money have more access to politicians and decision makers than ordinary people.

Wow. Someone's getting fired today.

CmCqV5WUsAE3Lvc.jpg:large

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Reading the details of the case, both he and his wife were pretty scummy. But being scummy isn't against the law. They took the stuff but didn't give any stuff in return other than giving access to the system. Although the court said what the McCuliffs did isn't ordinary, what is ordinary is people with connections and money have more access to politicians and decision makers than ordinary people.

The story was supposed to be about McDonnell, though. Someone had a Freudian slip and put McAuliffe instead (who is just as bad)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The story was supposed to be about McDonnell, though. Someone had a Freudian slip and put McAuliffe instead (who is just as bad)

Oh, geez. Didn't even pay attention. Just assumed we were talking about McDonnell and glanced at your post for the spelling.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Don't kid yourself, and don't underestimate the people voting for her. They will show up, and they will vote. They'll do so either as a vote against Trump or because she's a woman and she "deserves" it. But they will be there.....and they will vote for her. I know quite a few. If you don't know anyone voting for her, you're out of touch and live in a cave. I am genuinely scared she's going to be voted in.
    The people who would vote for hillary are the people who push the straight party button in the polling booth. The loud and obnoxious college students won't get out of bed on election day.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom