• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Some ideas. . .

The availability of spoons and forks does not make people fat.

Neither does the availability of any tool cause any behavior.

Additionally, there's no positive correlation between so called "gun control" laws and the sort of thing to which she refers. What there a huge school shooting problem in 1890? How about 1920? Yet, there was comparatively no federal regulation of firearms ownership back then. Yet, today, with 20,000+ firearms laws, there's a "problem?"

Her phraseology, "The problem is . . .," indicates a narrow, simplistic understanding of a complex issue.

None of which is likely to make any difference in her position since it's most likely based on emotion rather than critical thought.

Last edited:

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    She never engages my wife and I face to face on the subject. It is always in text or face-book. We have taken advise given by many here and we just do not engage. She is just looking for a fight and I/we truthfully do not want to expend the energy as it is a waste so we ignore. She is not blood to me , just the wife and the wife has basically cut ties because it is not just guns we disagree on. Like I said she is a liberal Demo-rat so you can imagine some of the issues.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Send her this, and challenge her to read and understand it in full in it's original intent and context as amended.

Then send her this, and explain that if you can't understand and support to your death the first item, you are the embodiment of the need for the second, and need to decide what other Nation you are going to, too execute the DS4080.

Then disconnect.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    My wife's cousin is a liberal teacher here in Indiana. My wife and I have been in a text battle with her regarding guns since this last school shooting happened. Which we agree is horrible. She just posted this. What can I reply with? She writes. " The problem is that private gun dealers don't have to follow the background check laws. Anyone 18 and over can buy a semi automatic weapon" How can I counter that?

I always counter "Shouldn't we be protecting our kids better than banks and politicians" usually shuts down the debate.

Because every "yeah but" can be countered with:

Why don't we do what's legal and constitutional before broaching "gun control," which has done little to make society more peaceful. Besides, if you take away these sickos guns, they can just use knives and machetes, which can be just as deadly as a firearm. Certainly, you've heard of the knife attack at a Taylor Swift watch party in England. 3 children died and several children and adults were severely injured. It's the user not the tool afterall.

How did students get rifles into the school in the first place in these latest cases? Have seen no investigative details on that issue.

On a lark, here is chatGPT's answer to your post.

A good way to counter that argument is by providing factual information about federal and state laws, while maintaining a respectful tone. Here's a response you could use:

---

"I completely agree that school shootings are horrific and we should all be focused on finding solutions. However, it’s important to clarify how gun laws work. Federal law already requires licensed gun dealers to conduct background checks, which applies to most gun sales, including semi-automatic weapons. Some states have additional regulations that also cover private sales, but private individuals selling firearms between each other in some states (what’s referred to as 'private sales') may not always require background checks, depending on local laws.

Also, while it's true that individuals 18 and older can legally purchase certain types of firearms, including semi-automatic rifles, there are a lot of nuances. For example, federal law requires individuals to be at least 21 to buy handguns from licensed dealers. Expanding background checks to cover private sales could be a step worth discussing, but focusing on ensuring existing laws are followed and improving enforcement might also help address the root issues.

I think the conversation should be about how we can balance safety with individual rights, and work together on common-sense measures that can genuinely make a difference."

---

This response acknowledges her concerns while pointing out existing laws and suggesting that further discussions focus on constructive solutions.

10mm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2024
    Greencastle
    My wife's cousin is a liberal teacher here in Indiana. My wife and I have been in a text battle with her regarding guns since this last school shooting happened.Which we agree is horrible. She just posted this. What can I reply with? She writes. " The problem is that private gun dealers don't have to follow the background check laws. Anyone 18 and over can buy a semi automatic weapon" How can I counter that?

How about the proliferation of ssri meds and the fact that every school shooter that makes the headlines is on them?
    What if we address the lack of male centered education? (I.e. have you ever met a 5-8 year old boy that could sit still and read for 30+ minutes at a time next to a window)
    Guns aren't the issue, violence is the issue and if she isn't willing to admit that then there's a fundamental disconnect and no amount of logic or emotion will bridge that gap.
    If we're being straight up honest, she's standing on the graves of children to virtue signal and it's disgusting. If you want to have a reasonable, good faith debate about firearms, I'm all for it. I don't think there's anything productive that you can say to convince someone who is already so deeply indoctrinated and unwilling to accept anything factual or logical.
    Here's the real answer though, homeschool your kids and it won't be a problem. We don't have to employ liberal teachers and your kids don't get shot/indoctrinated by unstable weirdos. Simple as.

Top Bottom