the%2Bheist.jpg
    136_215337.jpg

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    What's funny is Dems are getting Merrick Garland since Garland and Kavenaugh agreed with each other 96% when on the same court.

But, oh, that 4%.

I don't recall what I have have said about the Garland situation at the time, but I remember of being of about 3 minds about it.

1. I don't want another justice who is not a strict constructionist, so let's fight it.

2. I like the Constitution and it says "advice and consent", so the President should get an opportunity to see if the Senate gives its consent.

3. The Senate has made its own goofy rules that make a straight up-down vote somewhat of a chore to get to, so they're stuck with what they agreed to.

In sum, didn't like the way he was not really considered, but the same party that complains about that now agreed to the rules that resulted in it, so....

Last edited:

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Actually Garland and Kavenaugh voted the same 93% of the time. Garland joined 96% of Kavenaugh's published opinions and Kavenaugh joined 93% of Garland's published opinions.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Actually Garland and Kavenaugh voted the same 93% of the time. Garland joined 96% of Kavenaugh's published opinions and Kavenaugh joined 93% of Garland's published opinions.

In any event, about 93% of cases that go to the Court of Appeals are rather mundane without controversial, "sexy", constitutional issues. Maybe more.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom