• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    The dog bit the 56-year-old woman on her head and buttocks and broke her eyeglasses. The victim, who already feared dogs, required two staples on her head. She also suffered several puncture wounds on her buttocks.

What's the problem here? The dog was simply giving its handler "the signal" that this woman was doing something illegal.

frogman342

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2011
    I agree it should be put down. I have seen the department I worked for retire a dog because it could not be controlled. They are a huge liability. The department is going to have to get out the check book.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The dog's name was "Eros"?!?!:D

Ram, it is a question of intent. The Kansas City Officer Chompy unintentionally got loose. The Porkopolis Rummie intentionally barked at the dog.

Ohio's got a bunch of goofy laws so I'm not surprised that barking at a dog is an alleged crime.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The dog is obviously NOT a good candidate for being a police dog.
    It should be taken out of service from this and ANY other police department.

The treatment of the dog and it's handler should be the EXACT same thing that would happen to any other person who had an aggressive dog and couldn't control it in a public area.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    The dog is obviously NOT a good candidate for being a police dog.
    It should be taken out of service from this and ANY other police department.

The treatment of the dog and it's handler should be the EXACT same thing that would happen to any other person who had an aggressive dog and couldn't control it in a public area.
    I dont know if I would fault the handler directly or just the department, but someone should pay for sure.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    The thing is, the dogs that are used for this type of work have VERY high prey drives and are VERY hot. That being said, the handler should've kept a hold of his damn dog. IF a working police/military dog can't be trusted around people, it's not an appropriate ambassador for the department it's working for and should be removed. These dogs have thousand's of dollars worth of training put on them but can't/won't stop attacking on command? Article didn't say if the handler issued any commands, I would hope he did. Our previous dog trainer somehow got a K9 officer to visit the store for a meet and greet. Only problem is his dog was too hot to be trusted in the store with customers so it stayed in the car. How does THAT look?

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    if it wasn't a police dog it would have been put down....

when are all us citizens gonna learn that the cops are not subject to the same laws as all of us?

maybe some places or in rare cases, but there is no way an argument would hold up in court proving that cops receive equal treatment under the law. they simply do not. its wrong, but obviously enough people dont feel it important enough to even pick up the phone or send an email. so until then it will stay the same. not all cops are bad, but the double standard sure doesnt thwart criminal behavior, stricter prosecution would.

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    Kirk, it is actually a law here as well. PI seems to be the easier charge to prove and plea to though.

It's hard to fault the dog in this instance. These dogs are trained to be high strung and its the handler's job to keep the dog away from people. The dog doesn't see a uniform, it only sees its handler, what it considers its family (the handler's family as well as close friends), and targets. There have been a lot of handlers that are also bit by their dog. I've worked with dogs that are constantly looking to bite someone and I've worked with those that are only focused on the task at hand (such as tracking a suspect, sniffing for drugs).

I will never take a K9 in my duties. I like my dogs to be pets, not liabilities. It at least appears that the K9 officer was genuinely concerned as he followed the ambulance and also tried to arrange to get the victim home after treatment. That doesn't fix the situation but it at least shows that responsibility is being taken, at least on an individual level.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Kirk, it is actually a law here as well.

Come on, Love, no way we are as goofy as Ohio.:D

I'll bark at all the Officer Chompies I want (well, unless the doggie is doing something police related like talking on the radio or reading a computer screen). Heck, who is to say that I am barking at Officer Chompy maybe I am just discussing a fine point of the law with him as smart as the cops say their dogs are.:rolleyes::D

IC 35-46-3-11
    Cruelty to a law enforcement animal
    Sec. 11. (a) A person who knowingly or intentionally:
    (1) strikes, torments, injures, or otherwise mistreats a law enforcement animal; or
    (2) interferes with the actions of a law enforcement animal while the animal is engaged in assisting a law enforcement officer in the performance of the officer's duties;
    commits a Class A misdemeanor.
    (b) An offense under subsection (a)(1) is a Class D felony if the act results in:
    (1) serious permanent disfigurement;
    (2) unconsciousness;
    (3) permanent or protracted loss or impairment of the function of a bodily member or organ; or
    (4) death;
    of the law enforcement animal.
    (c) It is a defense that the accused person:
    (1) engaged in a reasonable act of training, handling, or discipline; and
    (2) acted as an employee or agent of a law enforcement agency.
    (d) In addition to any sentence or fine imposed for a conviction of an offense under this section, the court may order the person convicted to make restitution to the person or law enforcement agency owning the animal for reimbursement of:
    (1) veterinary bills; and
    (2) replacement costs of the animal if the animal is disabled or killed.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Heck, who is to say that I am barking at Officer Chompy maybe I am just discussing a fine point of the law with him as smart as the cops say their dogs are.:rolleyes::D

Kirk: Bark bark bark, I was just having coffee, bark, bark
    Officer Chompy: Bark, bark, I feel you, bro, bark, bark

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    when are all us citizens gonna learn that the cops are not subject to the same laws as all of us?

maybe some places or in rare cases, but there is no way an argument would hold up in court proving that cops receive equal treatment under the law. they simply do not. its wrong, but obviously enough people dont feel it important enough to even pick up the phone or send an email. so until then it will stay the same. not all cops are bad, but the double standard sure doesnt thwart criminal behavior, stricter prosecution would.

+1 and a rep for you....

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    This is the first case I've heard of the law being enforced for barking at a dog. As soon as the drunk said that the dog started it, I would have told him to find his ride and get home as there is really no argument after that:D. I've seen many officers bark at police dogs and have felt before that it may be entertaining if I did it myself but I would never (admit to) do that myself as it's just not fair to the dog to scare it even though he makes you nearly **** yourself every time you get out of your car within 50 yards of his handlers car.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I've seen many officers bark at police dogs

I use my Chick McGee "doggy voice", big sweetie!

Kirk: Bark bark bark, I was just having coffee, bark, bark
    Officer Chompy: Bark, bark, I feel you, bro, bark, bark

Kirk: Bark bark bark, so, what's your technique for meeting women here in Broad Ripple? bark bark
    Officer Chompy: Bark, bark, bark Puppy dog eyes, man, puppy dog eyes bark bark

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So my question is, what would've happened to the woman who was mauled on her front porch by Officer Chompy if she would've instead pulled out a weapon and shot the dog?

jason conley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    WEST SIDE OF INDY
    I have always thought that dogs only use for police should be sniffing drugs or explosives, they are animals and will act as such. But if you shoot one is it not the same as shooting a cop or is that a rumour.

Top Bottom