• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    something the lady did cued it that the woman was a threat.

The article said she had a fear of dogs.
    I have a friend in her 60s who fears dogs. She was mauled when she was a child and since then ALL dogs terrify her. Especially big dogs.
    I say that to share this;
    Once we visited a mutual friend who owns a few Labs. Extremely docile, sweet big lumps that frequently visited nursing homes, daycares and such and walked in parades. Not a vicious bone in their body. They never met a stranger they didn't [STRIKE]lick[/STRIKE] like... but as a courtesy to the FraidyFriend, DogOwnerFriend put her dogs up in another room during the visit, like always.
    While we were all in a different room having coffee over small talk, one of the Labs made a jailbreak from the other room and just casually strolled in.
    FraidyFriend did nothing more than get a little wide-eyed and maybe had a breath intake...
    That dog's neck fur went spikey, she bared her teeth and growled a sound that scared DogOwnerFriend, having never heard a sound like that coming from any of them in all of their 10 or more years.
    What I'm saying is that dogs (working/pets/other) are still animals. Animals are unpredictable. And for some reason, they alert to FEAR and act upon it.
    I think that's what happened in this case. I don't think that woman was doing any more than standing on her own porch talking on the phone. COMPLETELY within her rights.
    The dog is only guilty of doing what he was trained to do.
    No, the dog is only guilty of being a dog.
    If it was somebody else's dog, they'd be retrieving the ashes from a vet right now. The officer IS culpable for not keeping his animal under his control at all times.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    The article said she had a fear of dogs.
    I have a friend in her 60s who fears dogs. She was mauled when she was a child and since then ALL dogs terrify her. Especially big dogs.
    I say that to share this;
    Once we visited a mutual friend who owns a few Labs. Extremely docile, sweet big lumps that frequently visited nursing homes, daycares and such and walked in parades. Not a vicious bone in their body. They never met a stranger they didn't [STRIKE]lick[/STRIKE] like... but as a courtesy to the FraidyFriend, DogOwnerFriend put her dogs up in another room during the visit, like always.
    While we were all in a different room having coffee over small talk, one of the Labs made a jailbreak from the other room and just casually strolled in.
    FraidyFriend did nothing more than get a little wide-eyed and maybe had a breath intake...
    That dog's neck fur went spikey, she bared her teeth and growled a sound that scared DogOwnerFriend, having never heard a sound like that coming from any of them in all of their 10 or more years.
    What I'm saying is that dogs (working/pets/other) are still animals. Animals are unpredictable. And for some reason, they alert to FEAR and act upon it.
    I think that's what happened in this case. I don't think that woman was doing any more than standing on her own porch talking on the phone. COMPLETELY within her rights.

If it was somebody else's dog, they'd be retrieving the ashes from a vet right now. The officer IS culpable for not keeping his animal under his control at all times.

This.

I get tired of hearing, "My dog will never bite." I get really tired of hearing, "OMG, he's NEVER done THAT before!"

A friend of ours owns a purebread standard poodle for many years. I've been around that dog hundreds of times, seen it in every situation, never saw a hint of aggression.

They came to visit us when my daughter had just learned to walk. They were telling us how great the dog is with their grandaughter who is the same age as our daughter. Next thing you know, their dog had it's teeth bared and was growling at my daughter who was inches away. My daughter hadn't done anything.

We or they have never seen the dog do anything like that since.

We don't know how dogs think, or what makes them react the way they do.

Dogs don't bite for no reason, but sometimes they bite or maul for reasons we don't understand.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    I don't think you guys are getting the point. It is a dog that has been trained, it can't tell you what cue the lady made to make it attack. You all are assuming it attacked for no reason. Dogs don't attack for no reason. This was a highly trained dog similar to the Schutzhund dogs. I've seen them trained in person, I know how it works.

Yes if your dog or my dog were to do the same thing, we would be in big trouble as I think this officer will be.

No, I got the point. I don't think the dog attacked for NO reason. I know better then that. Dogs do everything for a reason. The reason the dog attacked will never be known and it might not even be anything the victim did, knowingly or unknowingly. I don't assume ANY dog is safe all the time, not even my own.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    No, I got the point. I don't think the dog attacked for NO reason. I know better then that. Dogs do everything for a reason. The reason the dog attacked will never be known and it might not even be anything the victim did, knowingly or unknowingly. I don't assume ANY dog is safe all the time, not even my own.

I have to totally agree with the bolded statement. I am the same way, I dont trust any animal completely, not even my own dog, and I have been told my dog is the most well behaved dog the vet has ever met.

INGunGuy

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Well if you go outside investigating the problem, don't take your gun, or if you do, don't expect to use it and not be questioned heavily or prosecuted as to why you went looking for trouble.
    Really?!
    I doubt that. At least in the Area I live anyway. It could be very different in Your part of Indiana though.
    I would think this is what a Responsible Person would do BEFORE ever Notifying a Sheriff...
    I don't think you guys are getting the point. It is a dog that has been trained, it can't tell you what cue the lady made to make it attack. You all are assuming it attacked for no reason. Dogs don't attack for no reason. This was a highly trained dog similar to the Schutzhund dogs. I've seen them trained in person, I know how it works.

Yes if your dog or my dog were to do the same thing, we would be in big trouble as I think this officer will be.
    I get the Point. I am on the side of this as the Dogs are trained Poorly and Handled worse. Not to mention I am tired, damn tired of the double standard between LEA and Civilians. IF, if my dog bit someone regardless of the training. The dog would be put down, and I would face a very long up hill legal battle, probably both Criminal and Civil. Where is the Justice in the LEA Dog attacked without Command and neither the Dog, the Handler, Nor the Department are in Jepordy?! :dunno:

A Dog is a Dog. Exactly!

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If the department tries to say it was the womans fault, I'd call 911 every single time I gotready to step out the door to make sure there were no police or police k9's in my yard if I were her.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    You all are assuming it attacked for no reason. Dogs don't attack for no reason.

Wrong. I'm not saying that the dog attacked for no reason. I am saying that the attack was completely unjustified. She would have been completely justified killing the animal after it came onto her property and acted aggessively towards her.

As Dross said, dogs attack for reasons that we don't entirely understand. I have been attacked "for no reason", and now that I carry a firearm, that experience will never be repeated. :twocents:

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Maybe, but remember there is a distinction between a crime and negligence.

The officer may have breached a duty of care and that would be negligence, not a crime.

Stepping out of her home may be considered by the civil jury as assumption of the risk, maybe.

The first is negligence, the second is an alleged crime.

Thanks for the clarification. My question is this: can a person be charged for a negligent act, or by preventing an occurence through inaction?

Top Bottom