• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I am sure most of you find it ridiculous that you need a permit just to go to a range. Does anyone know who we have to pressure to get a bogus law like that changed? The State is doing nothing more then trying to get revenue and it seems to me like it is a defacto back door registration tactic.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    you don't need a permit to own the gun.
    once you have a pe mit you can carry how ever you want.
    the state will issue you the permit unless you fall in a specific group of exclutions..

it is probably one of the best systems in the country.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Does Indiana still have two different types of handgun permits, one for target shooting and hunting and the other for personal protection which also allows taget shooting and hunting. I have had a personal protection permit since the mid 70s and now have the lifetime permit, but do not remember if we still have the two types. I must be getting old.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I still agree that it is absurd. Many more restrictive states still allow for handgun transport if unloaded and encased. Many allow open carry without permit or license.

Indiana is only decent once you get the LTCH.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    It's always been like that...nothing new. Just go get your LTCH and you'll never need to worry anymore. As much as it is a pain...the state is a "shall issue" state...much better than many others.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    I am sure most of you find it ridiculous that you need a permit just to go to a range. Does anyone know who we have to pressure to get a bogus law like that changed? The State is doing nothing more then trying to get revenue and it seems to me like it is a defacto back door registration tactic.

I too find it ridiculous. I've had my lifetime since I was 19, but I don't understand how we have to have a license to exercise a right to begin with. To answer your question, or not answer I should say, I'm not sure who we would have to talk to to get some sort of Vermont law passed in Indiana. People from out of state don't even need a license to carry in Vermont, to the range, or anywhere else. The license is easy to get if you have a clean record here, but I still see your point.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Hey we could live in a liberal state, where your gun gets to stay at home. I understand where people are coming from, but be thankful you can carry anywhere you are legaly allowed too!

sptland

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Howe, IN
    If you can legally carry - what's the big deal? Get the permit! - I sure don't want any gun toting felon shooting beside me @ the range!! Yes - I know they aren't supposed to have a firearm anyway -- my point is - that if you're legal - what's the big deal? How to get it changed!!! - Vote! -- and let your Senators and Representatives know what's important!!

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    I agree; Permit for just going to the range is stupid.
    However in general Indiana is a great state for gunowners to live in.

Just get your lifetime and be done with it.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

1. I find it less than optimal. However, I will comply with the law while I complain about it and work to modify/abolish it. The problem remains that unless you can go back with me to 1996 and get Rex Early elected, then we can join ISRPA and NRA and fight to restore our rights to a Vermont or Alaska approach.

2. We have to pressure the Indiana General Assembly to repeal the LTCH statute. Have you joined ISRPA and the NRA yet? If already a member, write another check today.

3. The State of Indiana passed the law in response to "gangsters" like Dillinger (and because of Indiana's dirty little secret the influence of the Klu Klux Klan). There is no registration requirement.

So, my suggestions:

1. Get the license. We have lifetime, do it once and never worry about it again.
    2. Join the NRA. If already a member, up your membership.
    3. Join the Indiana State Rifle and Pistol Association. If already a member, up your membership.

NRA: NRA

ISRPA: Indiana State Rifle And Pistol Association - Home

*Disclaimer: I am a Director of ISRPA.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    At least you didn't call it a Right and stated that it is an allowance.

Its is a RIGHT! just because laws prohibit some gun rights doesnt make them constitutionaly legal. I think that as long as your not a felon or have been convicted of domestic violence then you should be allowed to carry a firearm WITHOUT ANY PERMIT!!! Permits only allow the governemnt to harvest your personal data so they know who has guns. And if they ever try and take them we will be the first ones they visit. (whatever the outcome or body count) criminals ALWAYS will have guns and carry them. Permits only hurt legal gun owners not help us. permits to go to the range is a joke too.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Its is a RIGHT! just because laws prohibit some gun rights doesnt make them constitutionaly legal. I think that as long as your not a felon or have been convicted of domestic violence then you should be allowed to carry a firearm WITHOUT ANY PERMIT!!! Permits only allow the governemnt to harvest your personal data so they know who has guns. And if they ever try and take them we will be the first ones they visit. (whatever the outcome or body count) criminals ALWAYS will have guns and carry them. Permits only hurt legal gun owners not help us. permits to go to the range is a joke too.
    It's not a Right in the state of Indiana. That pink piece of paper proves it. It is allowed and a privilege, not a Right.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    just like i dont need the government to tell me i can BREATH AIR. I dont need them to tell me im allowed to carry a gun. I have their pink little paper just to apease the beast, but I'd sure hate to see what happens if they try and take it away from us gun owners. That piece of paper regulates it and allows them to know who carrys. their pink paper dont mean crap to me except oppression. yes im glad i live in indiana and not some other state like kookyfornia, but how many times are we gonna lay down to let the govet regulate what and how are rights are gonna be "handed out" ? we own their A**es. the govt belongs to the people. but too many established scewballs are in office and govt possitions that until we fight them legaly more than we are now nothing will get better

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    It's not a Right in the state of Indiana. That pink piece of paper proves it. It is allowed and a privilege, not a Right.

I believe what he's saying is that it's an inherent right. Whether the state of Indiana recognizes it as such is inconsequential...........and he is right!

Top Bottom