• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    I don't know if it is just because he is a nice guy, but a friend of mine who is a LEO told me that if the gun and the ammo are seperate and bagged up it would not be an issue. I called him when I bought mine to ask about getting it home before I got my license. Again, it could depend on the common sense of the LEO.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The Texas CHL is a 10 hour course with a live fire skills test. If you qualify with a revolver, you can only carry a revolver. Between the class and the application fees, it is hard to get done cheaper than $300. for a three years license. The criteria is really strict, less than 30% can even apply. On the other side of the coin, legally you are just short of a deputy in a court of Law, and are bound to assist a peace officer who is in distress. Over 300 LEO's have had their lives saved by CHL license holders, fo they tend to have a lot of respect.
    The Lifetime Indiana license is pretty cheap and easy to get for a law abiding citizen, but I do not think we have as many legal privilegdes in Indiana.
    Some people think if they do not have a permit, the law does not know about them. I assure you, that unless you live in someone elses house, never worked for taxable pay, never use a credit card, and only have bought firearms from private parties, the Government already has you on a list.

Armed Eastsider

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Does Indiana still have two different types of handgun permits, one for target shooting and hunting and the other for personal protection which also allows taget shooting and hunting. I have had a personal protection permit since the mid 70s and now have the lifetime permit, but do not remember if we still have the two types. I must be getting old.

So a personal protection license to carry a handgun counts as a hunting license?:n00b: Ive never heard that before, but I hope its true.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I don't know if it is just because he is a nice guy, but a friend of mine who is a LEO told me that if the gun and the ammo are seperate and bagged up it would not be an issue. I called him when I bought mine to ask about getting it home before I got my license. Again, it could depend on the common sense of the LEO.

When I bought my first handgun, a retired LEO/current corporate security friend told me I should get the PP license. Did not explain the ins and outs of needing one to even go to the range, but it was good advice. He said something like just do it, its easy, you'll qualify. So I've had a pp license since ~1990 now. Converted to the lifetime several years back when my first renewal came up post the law change.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    So a personal protection license to carry a handgun counts as a hunting license?:n00b: Ive never heard that before, but I hope its true.

Well, IANAL so correct me if I need it but as far as I understand it...

The "hunting" license to carry a handgun is just that - a more restricted form of the "personal protection" license to carry a handgun.

LTCH or not, you would still need a "hunting license" to hunt (unless the land is privately owned and larger than a set size)

If you had no LTCH, and a "hunting license" issued by DNR you could still hunt with long arms...

Ie: hunting license to carry a handgun =/= hunting license issued by DNR

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    ME TOO!

I did not know this ....good thing I had a license but I thought you could transport it locked and then shoot it when you got there and then lock it back up to transport....then shoot at a remote location on the way home and then.....
    Really, you have always had to have a permit to go to ranges? Wow, I have been breaking the law for over ten years then. Aint that a hoot?

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    it absolutely does depend on the common sense of the officer or if the officer bends the rules at all.
    Please do not attempt to carry to a range without a LTCH or advocate that a friend of a friend of a friend who has connections says it is ok. As of now it is not ok and some people believe everything they read on the internet. I'd hate for someone to get into trouble over this.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Did he just answer about bringing it home? Or did he say it would be okay to do the same going to a range? There IS an exception for transporting a handgun home from place of purchase.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    it absolutely does depend on the common sense of the officer or if the officer bends the rules at all.
    Please do not attempt to carry to a range without a LTCH or advocate that a friend of a friend of a friend who has connections says it is ok. As of now it is not ok and some people believe everything they read on the internet. I'd hate for someone to get into trouble over this.
    I have seen, with my own eyes, State Trooper, come to WW, and check for "permit", and write a ticket, and the person, has to go to court .....

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    DO NOT GO TO ATTERBURY without a LTCH!!!! I didn't know that going to the range w/o a LTCH was a NO NO for years. But I've had my LTCH since the 80's so it was a moot point. I have been with friends that didn't have a License though. I'm glad nothing bad ever happened to them.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana

But officer, I read on the internet you don't need a LTCH!:laugh:

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn

There is an explicit exception for bringing it home after you buy it. That doesn't mean you can transport it like that normally without at least a target/hunting LTCH.

Many cops don't know the laws. Look them up yourself. Don't take legal advise from a cop - or from a guy on the internet unless they give you the references to support their claims.

with that said:

Indiana Code 35-47-2

Well, IANAL so correct me if I need it but as far as I understand it...

The "hunting" license to carry a handgun is just that - a more restricted form of the "personal protection" license to carry a handgun.

LTCH or not, you would still need a "hunting license" to hunt (unless the land is privately owned and larger than a set size)

If you had no LTCH, and a "hunting license" issued by DNR you could still hunt with long arms...

Ie: hunting license to carry a handgun =/= hunting license issued by DNR

I agree.

See the above link to the IC.

Sometimes people use "target/hunting" instead of "qualified" but they are talking about the same thing.

I will ask though:

In looking at the differences between the two licenses I didn't really see any more physical restrictions on how you can carry your handgun between the two (qualified & unlimited).

I'm wondering if there really are further restrictions, aside from THE REASON you are carrying it, like:

- can you carry loaded in a vehicle?

- can you carry concealed while hunting?

I Think the answers to the above are "no" but I can't find anything to back that up.

How would the cop know that you were really going to/coming from hunting or the range? That just seems to me to be another reason that the qulified LTCH makes no sense.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    For the people that say this is "no big deal, just get the permit."....

How about for people that work 8-5 and their police departments only accept permit apps between 9-11am on Thursday? So, to exercise your right, you have to take off work to get your permit. I know they're not all like this, but I know of at least two in NW Indiana that have strange, limited hours like this.

How is this not a restriction of 2A rights and the Indiana Constitution?

I was trying to get my friend and my sister into shooting and encouraging them to buy a handgun for self-defense. Oh yeah, and if you ever want to go to the range to become proficient and learn how to operate and safely shoot your handgun, you have to take time off work to go down to the PD, get fingerprints and fill out an application, just so you can drag your handgun back and forth to the range, whether you are interested in carrying the firearm or not.

This is stupid! Not even the People's Republic of Illinois has this rule. Hope the legislation passes to fix this. We SHOULD have constitutional carry, hopefully soon.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    For the people that say this is "no big deal, just get the permit."....

How about for people that work 8-5 and their police departments only accept permit apps between 9-11am on Thursday? So, to exercise your right, you have to take off work to get your permit. I know they're not all like this, but I know of at least two in NW Indiana that have strange, limited hours like this.

How is this not a restriction of 2A rights and the Indiana Constitution?

I was trying to get my friend and my sister into shooting and encouraging them to buy a handgun for self-defense. Oh yeah, and if you ever want to go to the range to become proficient and learn how to operate and safely shoot your handgun, you have to take time off work to go down to the PD, get fingerprints and fill out an application, just so you can drag your handgun back and forth to the range, whether you are interested in carrying the firearm or not.

This is stupid! Not even the People's Republic of Illinois has this rule. Hope the legislation passes to fix this. We SHOULD have constitutional carry, hopefully soon.

Just go out & shoot in the woods, it's calm & relaxing, :yesway:

Top Bottom