People that shoot regularly but never carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How often do you carry a pistol

• If I have my pants on I'm armed

Votes: 48 51.1%
    • 75% of the time

Votes: 20 21.3%
    • 25% of the time

Votes: 13 13.8%
    • Never

Votes: 8 8.5%
    • Only when going out to pick up some bacon

Votes: 11 11.7%

• Total voters

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I don't think the comments were directed at you, or really anyone here. I know mine weren't. Simply being a contributing member here would indicate a certain amount of commitment to learning and proficiency, and you DO shoot, even if it's not as often as you'd like. Believe me, I understand...life happens!

What I'm referring to is the guy/gal who goes out, buys a gun, never even shoots it (or maybe puts a magazine or box of ammo through it just to say they did), and then never goes to the range again. They figure that all their self defense needs are now covered because they own this magical talisman that will protect them from any and all evil, simply through its existence.

Not everybody needs to be a grandmaster competition shooter or Delta Force operator, nor should they. That takes way too much time and money to leave you much of either left over to enjoy the life you're trying to protect. But carrying a gun is a commitment that requires at least a bit of effort to do it responsibly.

I like to compare it to voting...both are rights that we have as Americans, but both come with some inherent responsibility on our part to do them properly. Lots of people go in the booth and just push the buttons without knowing anything about the candidates or what their record is, or what their positions are. Doing it right requires some research and a bit of time spent studying backgrounds (even on the minor and obscure ones!) before we enter the voting booth. We're not asked to commit our lives full-time to serving in Congress, but it's our responsibility to make an educated choice about who we send. With carrying a gun, nobody's expecting average Joe citizen to be a full-time tier-1 operator, but ideally he ought to be at least somewhat educated and basically proficient if he's going to tote one around.
    I know they weren't directed at me.

:)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I joined a wonderful outdoor range near Bristol at the start of the year. To be accepted, you had to go shoot with the membership director. That was to be certain that you understood the safe handling of firearms and some basic marksmanship.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I joined a wonderful outdoor range near Bristol at the start of the year. To be accepted, you had to go shoot with the membership director. That was to be certain that you understood the safe handling of firearms and some basic marksmanship.

Good. That means as a member you *shouldn't* have to fear shooting with other members. Or at least not as much ;)

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I could (did) type out a long response as to why we personally hardly get to the range. I'll simplify it the top 3 reasons.

1)Time.
    2)Time and a baby sitter.
    3)Time.

*We do go atleast once a year but that qualifies as almost never.
    I understand that life get’s in the way of stuff. IMO your limited training time would be best served with one day classes.

I am not talking about super operator $900.00 classes. Basic CCW training that should not break the bank. You can also do a lot with dry fire that will keep you sharp.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    I shoot all most daily at home. Rarely carry on person. Got a sling bag. Not a much of a pistol person. Shotgun and rifle more
    Ever had a child run head first into your carry? It hurts both of us.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I shoot all most daily at home. Rarely carry on person. Got a sling bag. Not a much of a pistol person. Shotgun and rifle more

I carry all the time I'm awake for the most part. It's mostly just practice for keeping me in tune TO carry in the event carry is actually needed.

Admittedly though, I don't carry when I watch the grandkids. They are at the unpredictable rambunctious age. If I'm just passing through for a short visit, I warn them off of crashing into my "really hard parts."

Tossing the Frisbee in the yard is a good test of your carry rig.

:)

Johnk

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Mooresville
    If I had a range out my back door (or front door for that matter) I'd shoot everyday.

Johnk

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Mooresville
    I carry sporadically, when I believe I may be most exposed to danger. Yes, I know that crime is not predictable. I simply feel the need more in some situations than others. I do practice dry-firing and reloading almost daily, and try to shoot on most Wednesdays (my day off). I understand, but don't regularly practice, the principles of cover and concealment. I went hunting exactly one in my life, and killed one rabbit. That bothered me, hugely. I won't do it again, as long as I have a job and there are grocery stores. This may seem a bit incongruous, but I would have no qualms about shooting another human being in order to stop a threat. The rabbit was minding its own business, most threats are not. HUGE difference there. I have been robbed at gunpoint, and no, not by a rabbit. My thoughts about potentially killing another person? I will shoot to stop the threat. That is my response to another's aggression. If said aggressor happens to die, that is on him. The only unknowns in this equation are: can I shoot well enough under stress, and can I stop once the threat has ceased. I do not want to be the guy in diner, on security video, who walked up to the wounded aggressor on the floor, and executed him with a head shot.
    I always carry when I go to WalMart. And downtown Indy.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I carry when I leave the house. Even when I am wearing pants, I don’t always carry at home. But like now, I have 2 pistols within my arm’s reach of me. When I am on the elliptical, I have an Sig P226 within 2 feet of me. I used to have a 5 shot revolver in there until one morning I see 2 flashlights running up my driveway. It was before daylight. I felt undergunned at that moment. Turned out to be Amazon delivery.

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I always carry when I go to WalMart. And downtown Indy.
    YOU sir are a brave man, downtown Indy has been off my list of places to visit for several years and I was born and grew up in Marion county. I do everything I can to avoid utilizing my training so anywhere, especially inside the 465 loop is no man's land as far as I'm concerned.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I carry when I leave the house. Even when I am wearing pants, I don’t always carry at home. But like now, I have 2 pistols within my arm’s reach of me. When I am on the elliptical, I have an Sig P226 within 2 feet of me. I used to have a 5 shot revolver in there until one morning I see 2 flashlights running up my driveway. It was before daylight. I felt underfunded at that moment. Turned out to be Amazon delivery.
    I do the same close at hand Sig226. My Snubbie is resting on top of the spice cabinet. Also close at breakfast, Good choices.

Lucar186

Threat to Democracy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2024
    Auburn
    Just curious how many here shoot regularly (or even once a month) but never leave the house armed? Shooting with a new acquaintance today, very safe and accurate but told me he never carries a gun. I remember Coach opining at one of his matches that he knew several of participants looked on shooting as an enjoyable and challenging game but never carried a gun. Just curious what the numbers would look like and reasons some might have for not carrying?
    Unfortunately in a month I’ll be living in the communist country called a college campus so I won’t even be able to be armed in my own apartment. I just started concealed carrying a month ago.

Top Bottom