People that shoot regularly but never carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How often do you carry a pistol

• If I have my pants on I'm armed

Votes: 48 51.1%
    • 75% of the time

Votes: 20 21.3%
    • 25% of the time

Votes: 13 13.8%
    • Never

Votes: 8 8.5%
    • Only when going out to pick up some bacon

Votes: 11 11.7%

• Total voters

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I cross paths with precision shooters that are great shots. Some do not carry for whatever reason. I guess each to there own.

I cannot understand the carry and never shoot mindset. It might be a g)$)k or a hi point but you need to at least put a couple hundred rounds through it. I guess $40.00 is too much $$ ?

Some people are fine carrying practice ammo. Hollow points cost to much.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I would bet that there are far more that carry regularly but don't shoot that much if at all.
    I worry more about that guy than the guy who doesn't carry.

There are some perfectly valid reasons not to carry. My wife for example is a competent shot, but doesn't feel like she could ever pull the trigger to take a human life. While I wish she felt differently, as there may come a time where she needs to protect herself or our kids, I respect her decision and would never pressure her to carry a gun against her will.

I know others who lack the proficiency to carry safely, acknowledge that, and opt not to carry for that reason. It's simply not a priority for them, and that's their decision to make.

I spent the past two weeks with a couple of younger guys in AK who had shot before, but never really carried. It was pretty eye-opening for them what all was involved...holster selection, the occasional inconvenience, concealment vs open carry, making good choices about where to leave their gun if they took it off, having to deal with prohibited locations, and risking wear and tear to their guns in an outdoor environment. There were a few good lessons learned by the end of the week, I think.

I really appreciate those who put some thought into what it means to carry and use a gun (developing a mindset) and effort into being proficient with it (developing and maintaining a skillset).

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I still drive through the "Hood", work part time in the "Hood", and drive home through the "Hood". Do I carry? Hell Yes.
    \
    Primary gun, backup Gun, trunk mounted shotgun.
    Road rage Idiots, Hood Rats, and never stop after midnite on my way home!

I also have a 35 mile commute to the country home of my choice of location. I keep a firearm within reach as I type this. Paranoid? Nope.

Have seen home invasions everywhere, anytime, and people all say, "this is quiet neighborhood, shouldn't happen?

Read from Sheriff Grady on YT. Man speaks from experience. Smell the coffee people!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I still drive through the "Hood", work part time in the "Hood", and drive home through the "Hood". Do I carry? Hell Yes.
    \
    Primary gun, backup Gun, trunk mounted shotgun.
    Road rage Idiots, Hood Rats, and never stop after midnite on my way home!

I also have a 35 mile commute to the country home of my choice of location. I keep a firearm within reach as I type this. Paranoid? Nope.

Have seen home invasions everywhere, anytime, and people all say, "this is quiet neighborhood, shouldn't happen?

Read from Sheriff Grady on YT. Man speaks from experience. Smell the coffee people!

In recent times, "the hood" is everywhere. I live miles and miles from any urban environment. A dozen years ago a stranger drove into my driveway. He looked around, waited a minute or two, then went to my neighbor's long driveway and acted the same way there. It's not uncommon to see lost folks hunting for an address out here.

Half hour later, the stranger murdered a well known neighbor less than a mile down the road. The neighbor confronted the drug addled local for stealing his ATV. Took a bullet to the head from near contact range. Never seen it coming.

That was a real eye opener for me to treat self defense seriously. I could have easily been the dead guy found in his driveway, just like my neighbor.

Most of carrying all the time is just practice carrying. Conditioning one's self to make it the norm, so you are not weirded out or caught off guard or self conscious about the odd extra weight and bulges created. Easing in to the argument between comfort and equipment effectiveness/versatility.

We are blessed these days that Coach :bow: established a standard for Carry Gun Competitions, (picked up by downrange72 and others,) to actually wring out our carry rigs to see that they actually work as expected, rather than in our imaginations.

:soapbox:

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It may be just me, but I detect a whiff of Facebookism in the need to look down on people who carry but are just not up to your standards. At least they're armed, which is a YUGE first step on the road to eventually recognizing the need for training and practice

Knights1776

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2024
    Idaho
    I should carry more often than I do. There are times when running quick errands that I don't want to take the extra time to carry.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I cross paths with precision shooters that are great shots. Some do not carry for whatever reason. I guess each to there own.

I cannot understand the carry and never shoot mindset. It might be a g)$)k or a hi point but you need to at least put a couple hundred rounds through it. I guess $40.00 is too much $$ ?

Some people are fine carrying practice ammo. Hollow points cost to much.
    I bought a really nice HK USP 40c from a guy that had carried it for many years but he had never fired it. To me, that’s pretty crazy.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    It may be just me, but I detect a whiff of Facebookism in the need to look down on people who carry but are just not up to your standards. At least they're armed, which is a YUGE first step on the road to eventually recognizing the need for training and practice

A bad first step if they don't have any training or haven't shot the gun. People carrying that way are more likely to hurt themselves or others. I've seen plenty of people at the range for the first time, or first time in years, completely miss their target at 5 yards. If that happens when SHTF, they're likely to hit innocent bystanders instead of the intended target. If their gun malfunctions because they didn't shoot it to verify there were no issues, they could easily find themselves disarmed and possibly killed. The darn thing is not a magical talisman that they can just strap on and prevent bad things from happening.

Yes, every responsible citizen should carry, but part of being responsible is getting training or at least getting to the range to verify you know how to hit your target and to verify the gun you choose isn't problematic. I've bought brand new guns that malfunctioned right out of the box. Thank God I didn't just drop it in a holster and go about my day thinking I was GTG.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Reminds me of the time I was on state land for the pheasant put and take. We were sitting in the parking area waiting for the official start time. Some dude showed up in his fancy car and popped his trunk. He had a brand new 1100 in the box. i saw him looking it over so I went over to him. I had to show him how to put it together. Once again, it just mystifies me that someone wouldn’t have gotten that worked out and at least function checked it ahead of time.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    A bad first step if they don't have any training or haven't shot the gun. People carrying that way are more likely to hurt themselves or others. I've seen plenty of people at the range for the first time, or first time in years, completely miss their target at 5 yards. If that happens when SHTF, they're likely to hit innocent bystanders instead of the intended target. If their gun malfunctions because they didn't shoot it to verify there were no issues, they could easily find themselves disarmed and possibly killed. The darn thing is not a magical talisman that they can just strap on and prevent bad things from happening.

Yes, every responsible citizen should carry, but part of being responsible is getting training or at least getting to the range to verify you know how to hit your target and to verify the gun you choose isn't problematic. I've bought brand new guns that malfunctioned right out of the box. Thank God I didn't just drop it in a holster and go about my day thinking I was GTG.
    Agreed, but my point was more towards the rather strong tendency to look down on people by some solely because those people don't train 'enough' by that persons standards, with the caveat that everyone has to start somewhere and needs to come to the realization organically that 'owning a guitar doesn't make you a guitar-player'

If we bombard people too much with their need for what could be expensive training, might that be a disincentive for an initial gun purchase to those who don't know better. Which kid learns to play the piano better, the one who wants to take lessons or one whose parents force him to do so? Which comes first, buying a gun or taking lessons?

And are you of the opinion that it is necessary to train with name-brand teachers to get good training? And if you do, what about the tendency to name-drop who one has trained with. That's what has more than a bit of the flavor of the curated, 'perfect' lives on display on Facebook

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Agreed, but my point was more towards the rather strong tendency to look down on people by some solely because those people don't train 'enough' by that persons standards, with the caveat that everyone has to start somewhere and needs to come to the realization organically that 'owning a guitar doesn't make you a guitar-player'

If we bombard people too much with their need for what could be expensive training, might that be a disincentive for an initial gun purchase to those who don't know better. Which kid learns to play the piano better, the one who wants to take lessons or one whose parents force him to do so? Which comes first, buying a gun or taking lessons?

And are you of the opinion that it is necessary to train with name-brand teachers to get good training? And if you do, what about the tendency to name-drop who one has trained with. That's what has more than a bit of the flavor of the curated, 'perfect' lives on display on Facebook

The training landscape is a bit of a nightmare for the standard person, IMO. That said, most ranges offer at least some basic training in marksmanship, gun handling, drawing from the holster, basic self defense and such. I think the basics are needed, but I'm not saying everyone needs to spend a week at Gunsight. You should be familiar with your weapon of choice, know that it's in good working order and have some possibility of being able to use it correctly if needed.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    The training landscape is a bit of a nightmare for the standard person, IMO. That said, most ranges offer at least some basic training in marksmanship, gun handling, drawing from the holster, basic self defense and such. I think the basics are needed, but I'm not saying everyone needs to spend a week at Gunsight. You should be familiar with your weapon of choice, know that it's in good working order and have some possibility of being able to use it correctly if needed.
    Agree with this 100%. And I'll also add learning a bit about basic self defense law and under what circumstances it's appropriate to employ a weapon in self defense, and the potential consequences of doing so. I wouldn't even say it has to be formal training...just do your research and put in enough time with your gun to develop some basic proficiency with it.

The idea that simply having a gun will solve all your defensive needs sets a lot of people up for failure, IMO. I've seen plenty of relatively benign situations turn critical because of well-intentioned poor choices with guns.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I cannot understand the carry and never shoot mindset.
    I worry more about that guy than the guy who doesn't carry.

I could (did) type out a long response as to why we personally hardly get to the range. I'll simplify it the top 3 reasons.

1)Time.
    2)Time and a baby sitter.
    3)Time.

*We do go atleast once a year but that qualifies as almost never.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Agree with this 100%. And I'll also add learning a bit about basic self defense law and under what circumstances it's appropriate to employ a weapon in self defense, and the potential consequences of doing so. I wouldn't even say it has to be formal training...just do your research and put in enough time with your gun to develop some basic proficiency with it.

The idea that simply having a gun will solve all your defensive needs sets a lot of people up for failure, IMO. I've seen plenty of relatively benign situations turn critical because of well-intentioned poor choices with guns.

I'm a proponent of taking Guy's Essentials of Indiana Gun Law class. It's fantastic!

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I've posted this previously but I think it fits very nicely here. Three things I ask people that are considering carrying a firearm to defend themselves or loved ones.
    Consider in your mind that you may be in a situation that you could take a life, are you prepared to do that?
    Are you practiced and accurate enough to accomplish that, hopefully without endangering innocents?
    Do you have a basic understanding of Indiana law as to when you can legally use lethal force?

You can't possibly KNOW all the answers but you should consider the questions before setting out armed. At least that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I could (did) type out a long response as to why we personally hardly get to the range. I'll simplify it the top 3 reasons.

1)Time.
    2)Time and a baby sitter.
    3)Time.

*We do go atleast once a year but that qualifies as almost never.
    I don't think the comments were directed at you, or really anyone here. I know mine weren't. Simply being a contributing member here would indicate a certain amount of commitment to learning and proficiency, and you DO shoot, even if it's not as often as you'd like. Believe me, I understand...life happens!

What I'm referring to is the guy/gal who goes out, buys a gun, never even shoots it (or maybe puts a magazine or box of ammo through it just to say they did), and then never goes to the range again. They figure that all their self defense needs are now covered because they own this magical talisman that will protect them from any and all evil, simply through its existence.

Not everybody needs to be a grandmaster competition shooter or Delta Force operator, nor should they. That takes way too much time and money to leave you much of either left over to enjoy the life you're trying to protect. But carrying a gun is a commitment that requires at least a bit of effort to do it responsibly.

I like to compare it to voting...both are rights that we have as Americans, but both come with some inherent responsibility on our part to do them properly. Lots of people go in the booth and just push the buttons without knowing anything about the candidates or what their record is, or what their positions are. Doing it right requires some research and a bit of time spent studying backgrounds (even on the minor and obscure ones!) before we enter the voting booth. We're not asked to commit our lives full-time to serving in Congress, but it's our responsibility to make an educated choice about who we send. With carrying a gun, nobody's expecting average Joe citizen to be a full-time tier-1 operator, but ideally he ought to be at least somewhat educated and basically proficient if he's going to tote one around.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A lot of the challenge for those who have not shot under trained supervision is that often they don't know what they don't know. Be it an instructor, a range officer or even just others well seasoned in proper safe gun handling, exposure to those experienced in gun handling is important. There is hardly any new gun handler that doesn't need some assistance getting started and honestly constructive criticism, as they break critically important safe gun handing rules.

We have all seen people handling guns who are a danger to be around. A danger to themselves and their family on top of anyone they might happen to be around. Sadly, sometimes some of the worst gun handlers are folks who have been at it a while. Professionals, military and the "grew up with guns" folks are not immune to dangerous bad gun handling. It's not that unusual that some of these poor gun handlers might pass along their dangerous habits to friends and family.

The good news is that if the "people that shoot regularly" do it at a public range, they are likely to have a grasp of safe gun handling. These days a range membership often requires a safety briefing to join. On top of the fact that a decent percentage of the membership of public ranges have spent enough time shooting around others that any poor habits have likely been ironed out? Seasoned shooters who spend time shooting in relatively crowded places won't be watching much poor gun handling before correction happens. :nono:

:)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom