People that shoot regularly but never carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How often do you carry a pistol

• If I have my pants on I'm armed

Votes: 48 51.1%
    • 75% of the time

Votes: 20 21.3%
    • 25% of the time

Votes: 13 13.8%
    • Never

Votes: 8 8.5%
    • Only when going out to pick up some bacon

Votes: 11 11.7%

• Total voters

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ^^^
    Those aren't my words, friend. Looks like maybe you typed your reply into what was originally where you quoted me?

I believe we are talking about two different things though? It appears you are talking about emotions vs me suggesting that training not only evaluates and enhances defensive skills, but also addresses the emotions involved.

To begin with addressing emotions, one might start with the mental exercise of "stopping the threat to me and mine" vs the thinking that it's harming or killing another human.

Good firearms self defense training does address the mental aspect of stopping the threat and the repercussions. While gun handling and tactics are often involved, it is not at all like marksmanship practice or hunting game.

:twocents:

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I carry sporadically, when I believe I may be most exposed to danger. Yes, I know that crime is not predictable. I simply feel the need more in some situations than others. I do practice dry-firing and reloading almost daily, and try to shoot on most Wednesdays (my day off). I understand, but don't regularly practice, the principles of cover and concealment. I went hunting exactly one in my life, and killed one rabbit. That bothered me, hugely. I won't do it again, as long as I have a job and there are grocery stores. This may seem a bit incongruous, but I would have no qualms about shooting another human being in order to stop a threat. The rabbit was minding its own business, most threats are not. HUGE difference there. I have been robbed at gunpoint, and no, not by a rabbit. My thoughts about potentially killing another person? I will shoot to stop the threat. That is my response to another's aggression. If said aggressor happens to die, that is on him. The only unknowns in this equation are: can I shoot well enough under stress, and can I stop once the threat has ceased. I do not want to be the guy in diner, on security video, who walked up to the wounded aggressor on the floor, and executed him with a head shot.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I do not want to be the guy in diner, on security video, who walked up to the wounded aggressor on the floor, and executed him with a head shot.
    Yeah that was not good. No charges were brought, bad guy was possibly already dead.

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Before I retired, during a Board Meeting, the CEO asked how many in the room were Carrying. 4 of us raised our Hands & her response was: "Good, that's what I wanna hear."
    In addition to all the Perks & how well they treated us, it was a Great place to work & for Good People. If I Ever Un-retire, I'll go back there.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Before I retired, during a Board Meeting, the CEO asked how many in the room were Carrying. 4 of us raised our Hands & her response was: "Good, that's what I wanna hear."
    In addition to all the Perks & how well they treated us, it was a Great place to work & for Good People. If I Ever Un-retire, I'll go back there.

I wish it was that way where I work, but we're not even allowed to carry pocket knives... :facepalm:

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I would bet that there are far more that carry regularly but don't shoot that much if at all.
    Probably more true than anything. I certainly dont shoot as much as i like. Does knowing how to shoot and such make you a worse shot that someone that does it everyday..i don't necessarily think so.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Probably more true than anything. I certainly dont shoot as much as i like. Does knowing how to shoot and such make you a worse shot that someone that does it everyday..i don't necessarily think so.

Shooting, like most things, is a perishable skill. If you don't practice is regularly, if SHTF you may not react correctly, or fast enough. Some people believe that a gun is a magical talisman that wards off evil, that only needs to be carried without any need for training or practice, but real life proves that incorrect more often than not.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Working part time in a retail store, I'm not allowed to carry. I would if allowed, but once I'm home, or off work, I have a gun on my person, and almost always one, or two near me.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    I never thought about shooting a lot and not carrying until few years ago when I discovered a guy that I was teaching didn't carry on a regular basis. When asked why he stated wasn't sure he could actually shoot a person. First time I had dealt with that issue after teaching a lot of people to shoot.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    My stepmother carried in her purse for decades. I asked her and my Dad to go to the range with me (must have been 6 or 8 years ago). My Dad took the gun out of her purse and found her revolver was completely non-functional. Had she needed it to save her life, she would have died. To me, you should know the status of your gun and be able to shoot it proficiently. Occasional training, range trips and maintenance really helps.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I never thought about shooting a lot and not carrying until few years ago when I discovered a guy that I was teaching didn't carry on a regular basis. When asked why he stated wasn't sure he could actually shoot a person. First time I had dealt with that issue after teaching a lot of people to shoot.
    My wife has been trained, is a reasonable shot, and fairly level headed. She really does not like the idea of possibly killing someone in self defense. Her first choice is to depend on me, stating I am more skillful and can logically make the decision if the need arises.

I am hoping, should the situation ever develop, her self preservation instinct will overcome the internal resistance, and her training will take over.

I really would like to avoid it myself, but I cannot disbelieve that the need could arise, and the odds are getting more likely every day.

Judamonster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    I work in Illinois-1 block from the state line. If I carry and am caught I will have issues. I can "Car Carry"-that means the gun has to stay in the car while I work, eat lunch, etc. That makes me feel like I am more likely to arm a hood rat that breaks car windows for a living than anything else. Stupid state, with stupid laws. It feels like they try to make it hard to be a responsible citizen and easy to become prey.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    My stepmother carried in her purse for decades. I asked her and my Dad to go to the range with me (must have been 6 or 8 years ago). My Dad took the gun out of her purse and found her revolver was completely non-functional. Had she needed it to save her life, she would have died. To me, you should know the status of your gun and be able to shoot it proficiently. Occasional training, range trips and maintenance really helps.
    Unfortunately this is not uncommon. I know of three people who purchased weapons and have never shot them. In couple of the cases straight from box to holster. I tried to explain things but gave up on them.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Unfortunately this is not uncommon. I know of three people who purchased weapons and have never shot them. In couple of the cases straight from box to holster. I tried to explain things but gave up on them.

You'll occasionally see an add in the classified section stating, gun carried but never shot... :facepalm:

Even if you have another, identical gun, it doesn't mean it won't have issues the other gun didn't. No way to know unless you shoot it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Training may help some.
    Aint gonna help others.
    Even some that have shot a while.

IMNSHO too many overthink this stuff.

If there's a threat that must be stopped, so be it.

Never understood buying a gun and not practicing with it.

sailordave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2016
    North Porter County
    I carry depending where i go. Perhaps a foolish method.

Definitely if i have to go to Lake County.

We do get to the range about every week. My Dear Bride is a damn good shot.

Top Bottom