• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Serious note: somewhere some poor Enlisted troop is searching for the last time there was a "balloon kill." We talkin Eddie Rickenbacker or someone from WWI? I'm thinking so. Part of the Red Baron's 80 aerial victories were airships, is he #1 all-time?

Now as far as the flightsuit wearing type who got cleared hot: new callsign? "Balloon Killer" would be awesome. Most are one word, but I knew an Eagle Driver whose callsign was Stevie Ray so there is hope for Balloon Killer.
    Russians would use SU-15s and TU-128s to shoot down out spy baloons during the cold war.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Both the Allied and the Germans used several kind of balloons (barrage balloons and incendiary balloons) during WW2.

I assume the last time a pilot shot a balloon was in 1945. :dunno:

01122017_balloon.jpg
    Cold war, there are documented cases of Russian TU-128s and SU-15s shooting down our spy baloons during the cold war

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Serious note: somewhere some poor Enlisted troop is searching for the last time there was a "balloon kill." We talkin Eddie Rickenbacker or someone from WWI? I'm thinking so. Part of the Red Baron's 80 aerial victories were airships, is he #1 all-time?

Now as far as the flightsuit wearing type who got cleared hot: new callsign? "Balloon Killer" would be awesome. Most are one word, but I knew an Eagle Driver whose callsign was Stevie Ray so there is hope for Balloon Killer.
    How about “Popper”?

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis

Discussion on it starts at 15 minutes.

Thought is that it was supposed to deflate well before getting here, and that it has no value over the numerous satellites above.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    We look like idiots letting that balloon cross over an inch of our airspace! It should have been shot down immediately. If it was the other way around, you can bet the Chinese would have shot it down. Our problem is the idiots that run our country have no balls when it come to this stuff. :bacondance:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Huh. I figured they would use something laser guided and paint the balloon so they didnt hit the payload in case they wanted to inspect it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    We look like idiots letting that balloon cross over an inch of our airspace! It should have been shot down immediately. If it was the other way around, you can bet the Chinese would have shot it down. Our problem is the idiots that run our country have no balls when it come to this stuff. :bacondance:
    Hell, they would have shot it down AND demanded answers, not taking the "oh, its just a civilian craft. Sorry you can disregard." as an acceptable answer.

Top Bottom