• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lowe0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Indianapolis
    It would have been pretty simple to phrase it in a way as to protect any and all from being forced to violate their convictions without presenting it as a religious crusade.
    If it's functionally identical in a courtroom to the original, then who cares how it's phrased? Words don't matter, only end results do.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    It would have been pretty simple to phrase it in a way as to protect any and all from being forced to violate their convictions without presenting it as a religious crusade.

How could it have been done? Again this law was meant to duplicate the Fed RFPA. And how could it have been done without it being stricken down by being too vague?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    He wouldn't lose in November. Gregg has too much baggage, and this time there will be honest to goodness attack ads against him.

Pence is bailing for VP, because there is no next move for him in four years. It is his best option.

See, his BEST move IMHO is to sit this one out and be a knight in shining armor in 4 years. A caretaker POTUS will be exactly what we want.

If he grabs this, he'd be making his move prematurely IMHO. For one thing, his odds of success are less. At best, 50/50 for Trump to win. With Trump support, it should be smooth sailing to another term as governor.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    See, his BEST move IMHO is to sit this one out and be a knight in shining armor in 4 years. A caretaker POTUS will be exactly what we want.

If he grabs this, he'd be making his move prematurely IMHO. For one thing, his odds of success are less. At best, 50/50 for Trump to win. With Trump support, it should be smooth sailing to another term as governor.

Agreed.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart

Well, seeing as his plans went up in flames about 2 years ago with RFRA, I'm not sure if he sees that as a clear way out.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Well, the 4 year plan requires medium-term thinking, which is clearly not his strong suit. And I will concede, that the landscape 4 years from now is foggy.

But, what's the contingency plan if Trump loses? He goes back to radio? Gets hired on at one of Trump's golf courses - the ultimate Apprentice?

Part of the rationale when he left Congress was to develop the executive side of his resume for a presidential run. Although 1 term as governor is better than none, it is not as good as 2. And if the long-range thinking at the time was to become president, running for veep is basically taking a detour into more perilous waters.

And if Trump is electable, then the RFRA thing is a dog whistle in a monsoon.

That's even setting aside whether state Republicans can field a winner. I've heard rumblings for awhile that Rokita would like to come back. I'd put the odds on him if Pence does win the veepstakes.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    Well, the 4 year plan requires medium-term thinking, which is clearly not his strong suit. And I will concede, that the landscape 4 years from now is foggy.

But, what's the contingency plan if Trump loses? He goes back to radio? Gets hired on at one of Trump's golf courses - the ultimate Apprentice?

Part of the rationale when he left Congress was to develop the executive side of his resume for a presidential run. Although 1 term as governor is better than none, it is not as good as 2. And if the long-range thinking at the time was to become president, running for veep is basically taking a detour into more perilous waters.

And if Trump is electable, then the RFRA thing is a dog whistle in a monsoon.

That's even setting aside whether state Republicans can field a winner. I've heard rumblings for awhile that Rokita would like to come back. I'd put the odds on him if Pence does win the veepstakes.

I think that he may believe that Trump has a shot. If he thinks that, then being Veep is good. It is even better if Trump wins then resigns because he is Trump and who knows what he is thinking.

As for the state Republicans, from what I hear it is Bosma or Holcomb. I'm partial to Eric. Rokita has been looming as Gov and was eyeing it in four years. I doubt he moves before then, but who knows. Todd has really been active in keeping his name out there for the past 4 years or so. Eric as a caretaker for four years, then he resigns. Rokita gets a clear path. Bosma would hate it as Governor. He as more power as Speaker, but he is looking at that position as his last move, then retire.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I shudder at the notion of Gov. Bosma. Although his law firm would do quite well.

And, I'm sorry, but I've not been impressed with Holcomb.

Importantly, I'm not sure either one can beat Gregg. Maybe, maybe not. Would take help from Trump.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Everybody here in Indiana gets to see clinton's name on the ballot right next to Gregg's, I'll be curious to see how much daylight his people can put between them running up to the election.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I shudder at the notion of Gov. Bosma. Although his law firm would do quite well.

And, I'm sorry, but I've not been impressed with Holcomb.

Importantly, I'm not sure either one can beat Gregg. Maybe, maybe not. Would take help from Trump.

I don't relish a Gregg administration but maybe it's time for the republicans to take a few years and relearn how to lead and represent the people that put them in office.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I don't relish a Gregg administration but maybe it's time for the republicans to take a few years and relearn how to lead and represent the people that put them in office.
    The only question is how much damage might be done to us while they learn that lesson. I kind of feel that way about the whole national GOP. But can you imagine what the Dems would get done if they get Hillary in and both houses of Congress. I don't think we would recover. Maybe on a state basis we could.

JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Pence did himself no favors when he tried to take all sides of the RFRA argument. He angered his most conservative supporters and gave an impression of spinelessness to independents, all without gaining any popularity among those who disliked him already.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Pence did himself no favors when he tried to take all sides of the RFRA argument. He angered his most conservative supporters and gave an impression of spinelessness to independents, all without gaining any popularity among those who disliked him already.
    The whole party screwed the pooch on that one. Why go down a path if you aren't willing to stay on it?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The only question is how much damage might be done to us while they learn that lesson. I kind of feel that way about the whole national GOP. But can you imagine what the Dems would get done if they get Hillary in and both houses of Congress. I don't think we would recover. Maybe on a state basis we could.

Yeah, I here ya. And I'm not even going to think about voting for a democrat--at any level. But to the extent the republicans were ever really conservative-minded, I think they've rejected it or maybe lost confidence in it and have not adapted to the changing demograpics in being able to teach those principles and apply them today.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Curious, do you guys count Bosma as a conservative? Or just an opportunist?

Same for Holcomb, if you have an opinion.

Top Bottom