• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    When details are releasable, I'm curious who fired the first shot. Not that it truly matters but as a bystander knowing when to intervene is a crap shoot. It's very clear that you intervene once the lead starts flying and you have no means to retreat, but from the time a robbery is announced, and a weapon is displayed intervening along that timeline is often debatable as to what each person would do. I'm still not sure how I'd react if the weapon is simply presented. There are a lot of other "what ifs" that come into play.

the other thing that is unfortunate that we don't talk about often is the mental state of the customer from this point on. Being in this situation will forever be remembered and could leave him with a PTSD that he may or may not be able to function with. It's not as simple as defending yourself and moving on.
    I believe once a weapon is displayed you are in immediate danger of death or great bodily harm. I would feel completely justified in firing the first shot. Only Marshall Dillon let the bad guy go first!

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    When details are releasable, I'm curious who fired the first shot. Not that it truly matters but as a bystander knowing when to intervene is a crap shoot. It's very clear that you intervene once the lead starts flying and you have no means to retreat, but from the time a robbery is announced, and a weapon is displayed intervening along that timeline is often debatable as to what each person would do. I'm still not sure how I'd react if the weapon is simply presented. There are a lot of other "what ifs" that come into play.

the other thing that is unfortunate that we don't talk about often is the mental state of the customer from this point on. Being in this situation will forever be remembered and could leave him with a PTSD that he may or may not be able to function with. It's not as simple as defending yourself and moving on.

With the type of business this is, I'm sure there is video. It might even be released publicly eventually.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Not quite. He felt quite certain though that the law made me do certain things, as if it wasn't a choice on my part, but some magical force that compelled to be in compliance.

Taxes ! You're such a charitable person that you willingly send money to the guberment or is it some form of compulsion ?

There is nothing " magical " about the force that will be used to gain your compliance if you do not submit to their will .

But you still have a choice right ? Yeah right lady !

Vupd or any others , what does it matter if the make / model of the guns used is disclosed at this point ? I assume it'd possibly have an adverse effect on the investigation some how ?

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I believe once a weapon is displayed you are in immediate danger of death or great bodily harm. I would feel completely justified in firing the first shot. Only Marshall Dillon let the bad guy go first!

I completely agree. I also know of some who would wait to see if the perp was going to rob and leave or rob, kill and leave. As a disinterested third party deciding when to take action is something that needs a little more clarity than simply having a gun shoved in your face.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Vupd or any others , what does it matter if the make / model of the guns used is disclosed at this point ? I assume it'd possibly have an adverse effect on the investigation some how ?

I didn't ask, so I don't know what gun it was. I generally just ask about caliber, shot placement, etc as I don't care what gun was used. Like I said above, the caliber was .40. It was a double stack, I do know that. The lead didn't know how many times the suspect was struck, the autopsy will show that, and I'll also find out what kind of ammunition was used.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    My info comes from the run notes and from talking to a friend who was on scene. I do not want to post any info that is not public and I don't want to hinder the investigation so I won't be too specific. I admittedly don't know where the line is as far as talking about the details so I will err on the side of caution

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I didn't ask, so I don't know what gun it was. I generally just ask about caliber, shot placement, etc as I don't care what gun was used. Like I said above, the caliber was .40. It was a double stack, I do know that. The lead didn't know how many times the suspect was struck, the autopsy will show that, and I'll also find out what kind of ammunition was used.
    Are we talking about the good guy's gun?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Now, to the important part of the conversation:

1. Clearly this poor youth lost his promising life due to racism.
    2. As soon as the paid "protestors" are done burning Ferguson, MO to the ground after the Grand Jury verdict is delivered, I think they'll be needed here.
    3. Note that I have no information re: race or ethnicity of either the dead robber or the customer who took action, but I Just Know That It Was Racism. RACISM.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Taxes ! You're such a charitable person that you willingly send money to the guberment or is it some form of compulsion ?

There is nothing " magical " about the force that will be used to gain your compliance if you do not submit to their will .

But you still have a choice right ? Yeah right lady !

Speak of the devil :rolleyes:

Once again, you are displaying the ignorance of words and their meanings. I do not pay taxes because the law makes me. I pay taxes because the CHOICE of not doing so results in a consequence more painful than the CHOICE to pay. IT. IS. A. CHOICE.

I'll ask it again: if laws make people do things, then why do people still murder?

ETA: or to keep this on topic, why did the dead guy attempt to rob? There's a law that makes him not do it, right?

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Speak of the devil :rolleyes:

Once again, you are displaying the ignorance of words and their meanings. I do not pay taxes because the law makes me. I pay taxes because the CHOICE of not doing so results in a consequence more painful than the CHOICE to pay. IT. IS. A. CHOICE.

I'll ask it again: if laws make people do things, then why do people still murder?

if signs were effective, why not hang a no guns sign on the whitehouse and get rid of the secret service?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    if signs were effective, why not hang a no guns sign on the whitehouse and get rid of the secret service?

I think you're onto something there.

I say we make some signs to post in Iraq: "No Killing, Murdering, Raping, Beheading, Beating, Kidnapping, etc."

I'm sure it will put an end to it, then we can expand to the rest of the word!

Top Bottom