• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Too bad it doesn't apply to all. Noticed the TVs at work were touting that "we" or really, "they" are exempt from this law and guns are still a no-no regardless of how they are stored. Stupid homeland security protected site! I'm an American, I AM Homeland Security! Oh well, if I get shot getting out of my car in the ghetto I'll just sue, or have my family sue for being barred a means of self defense. Funny thing is, I can still carry a knife, so I do.

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    Your SOL if your job could even be mildly described as in home... Regardless of whether you work in an armed profession.

Pizza Delivery guy? Your SOL
    Courier? Your SOL
    Nurse? Your SOL
    independent contractor? Your SOL

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Why are all of these 2.5 year old threads being resurrected from the dead all of a sudden?

And as for the Pizza Delivery Guy and/or Courier, IC 34-28-7-1 et seq. could be claimed to protect them when on the job, but it's a bit titchy about the definition of "locked" vehicle. I believe your mention of nurse gets closest to the exception to the prohibition on the part of employers from IC 34-28-7-2(b)(10).

IC 34-28-7-2
    Regulation of employees' firearms and ammunition by employers
    Sec. 2. […]
    (b) Subsection (a) does not prohibit the adoption or enforcement of an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition:
    […]
    (10) in the employee's personal vehicle if the employee, including a contract employee, is a direct support professional who:
    (A) works directly with individuals with developmental disabilities to assist the individuals to become integrated into the individuals' community or least restrictive environment; and
    (B) uses the employee's personal vehicle while transporting an individual with developmental disabilities.
    Unless pizzas or packages could be termed "individuals with developmental disabilities", which not knowing the full depth and breadth of governmental language legerdemain, they just might, then as long as the firearm remains locked in the glovebox, there's nothing in IC 34-28-7-1 that can be read to premit employers of pizza boys or couriers from having their firearms with them while on the clock. Now, if they have their firearms on their person when they get out of their locked vehicle to carry the pizzas or parcels to the customer, then that could be actionable by the employer, as it's not covered by the IC 34-28-7-2(a) employer prohibition.

The titchy part would be regarding what it means for a vehicle to be "locked". Is the vehicle still considered "locked" if I unlock the door to place the pizzas/parcels in the backseat, climb into the driver's seat, and relock the door, all without the vehicle ever leaving my sight? As long as the firearm is in the locked glovebox or locked in the trunk, I don't think it matters, but if the pizzaboy/courier is taking advantage of the "or stored out of plain sight in the employee's locked vehicle" language, then arguably, once any of the doors enter an "unlocked" state, the firearm could be immediately accessed by someone who know where it was "stored out of plain sight", a fact that would not be true for a firearm in a locked glovebox or trunk.

Although, my car's trunk can be popped by a button on the dashboard as well…

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Why are all of these 2.5 year old threads being resurrected from the dead all of a sudden?

And as for the Pizza Delivery Guy and/or Courier, IC 34-28-7-1 et seq. could be claimed to protect them when on the job, but it's a bit titchy about the definition of "locked" vehicle. I believe your mention of nurse gets closest to the exception to the prohibition on the part of employers from IC 34-28-7-2(b)(10).

Unless pizzas or packages could be termed "individuals with developmental disabilities", which not knowing the full depth and breadth of governmental language legerdemain, they just might, then as long as the firearm remains locked in the glovebox, there's nothing in IC 34-28-7-1 that can be read to premit employers of pizza boys or couriers from having their firearms with them while on the clock. Now, if they have their firearms on their person when they get out of their locked vehicle to carry the pizzas or parcels to the customer, then that could be actionable by the employer, as it's not covered by the IC 34-28-7-2(a) employer prohibition.

The titchy part would be regarding what it means for a vehicle to be "locked". Is the vehicle still considered "locked" if I unlock the door to place the pizzas/parcels in the backseat, climb into the driver's seat, and relock the door, all without the vehicle ever leaving my sight? As long as the firearm is in the locked glovebox or locked in the trunk, I don't think it matters, but if the pizzaboy/courier is taking advantage of the "or stored out of plain sight in the employee's locked vehicle" language, then arguably, once any of the doors enter an "unlocked" state, the firearm could be immediately accessed by someone who know where it was "stored out of plain sight", a fact that would not be true for a firearm in a locked glovebox or trunk.

Although, my car's trunk can be popped by a button on the dashboard as well…

I have had to leave my guns at home due to this IC, and this is the actual one I was referencing in regards to hospital/nursing home carry being a no go. LOL. Couldn't find it though.

pretty much anywhere with a therapy dept is a no go.

Thanks for that post, and letting me know I "can't" take my guns to work :(

Top Bottom