• ...and so much more!
  • teejay422

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Muncie
    a little help would be appreciated...

preface- my company has a strict "no weapons" policy that i have already been informed of when i was asked to leave my pocket knife at home- not just in my car. although i could argue until i am blue in the face that my knife was a tool and not a weapon and i had a counter to every example of the danger of me having the knife, i respectfully agreed to follow the rules.

but this past week, i was pulled in to HR yet again over a "growing concern for the safety of my co workers." i was confronted by my company's senior director and informed that an employee noticed me carrying a firearm. i responded that i would not jeopardize my employment by violating company policy. i have a family that depends on my income. i did however have an empty holster on my hip. the same way my wallet, keys, and belt switch from one pair of pants to the next, so does my holster. at this time, my glock was at home safely locked in its case atop my dresser. i was then informed that i would no longer be able to carry my holster into the building because it has already sparked panic. again, i will oblige.

but, when i pointed out bill 1065, i was told that my company's policy will not change and that a firearm locked in my car out of sight will still be grounds for termination. how would you approach this moving forward?

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    sue them and set a precident, or contact the AG's office and get them a warning letter. nothing you can realy sue them over unless they actualy terminated you and stated the reason was for having a gun in your car. better make sure you wait for the law to go into affect before you make a stink about it, or you may get fired now for them not liking the cologn you wear

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    sue them and set a precident, or contact the AG's office and get them a warning letter. nothing you can realy sue them over unless they actualy terminated you and stated the reason was for having a gun in your car. better make sure you wait for the law to go into affect before you make a stink about it, or you may get fired now for them not liking the cologn you wear

Exactly, keeping quiet until July 1st is a must. After that, take them a copy of the law and ask them again about their policy.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    preface- my company has a strict "no weapons" policy that i have already been informed of when i was asked to leave my pocket knife at home- not just in my car. although i could argue until i am blue in the face that my knife was a tool and not a weapon and i had a counter to every example of the danger of me having the knife, i respectfully agreed to follow the rules.

but this past week, i was pulled in to HR yet again over a "growing concern for the safety of my co workers." i was confronted by my company's senior director and informed that an employee noticed me carrying a firearm. i responded that i would not jeopardize my employment by violating company policy. i have a family that depends on my income. i did however have an empty holster on my hip. the same way my wallet, keys, and belt switch from one pair of pants to the next, so does my holster. at this time, my glock was at home safely locked in its case atop my dresser. i was then informed that i would no longer be able to carry my holster into the building because it has already sparked panic. again, i will oblige.

but, when i pointed out bill 1065, i was told that my company's policy will not change and that a firearm locked in my car out of sight will still be grounds for termination. how would you approach this moving forward?

My advice is not to push it. If a firearm is locked in your car, out of sight, they won't know it. If asked, evade the question; something like, "Don't be silly, I've already been told I will be fired if I bring a gun to work." Don't give permission for them to search your vehicle.
    My experience is that anti-gun people believe that "the ends justify the means" and they will lie if they think it will get them what they want. You've already been accused of carrying a gun when it was an empty holster. I doubt they would hesitate to claim you threatened someone if they thought they could prove you had a gun. Indiana is an "at will" state regarding employment, meaning your employer does not need a reason to fire you. Even if you keep your job because of the law, they will just find another reason to get rid of you.
    Look for another employer who is more gun-friendly, if you can afford to; I wouldn't trust these people.

Doug

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    Is that a .380 in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? Seriously, once July 1st hits, you have nothing to worry about (depending where you work at of course). Keep your mouth shut and your holster CC till then. If they fire you for wearing an empty holster I'm fairly certain even a crappy lawyer (like Lionel Hutz) could make you well enough off till you find another job.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Yes, but Indiana being an "at will" employment state, your crappy lawyer would have to prove intent to a jury if they were smart enough to simply say "we no longer require your services".

I plan on simply keeping my mouth shut.

I don't see my employer changing policy due to a law. In fact, I could see them looking forward to being the test case...even if that weren't the case I don't see why anyone would feel the need to advertise.

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    exactly! Just keep it to yourself. Nobody else needs to know period. Not only can they fire you for no reason you could be setting your self up for theft. Keep in mind it's a parking lot windows get broke and stuff stolen. A spider web of duct tape over the window and a swift strike with anything, no one will hear a thing.
    The next guy could have a cousin that has no problem breaking into your car. I don't trust anyone ever, but the recession has me trusting everyone even less.

Yes, but Indiana being an "at will" employment state, your crappy lawyer would have to prove intent to a jury if they were smart enough to simply say "we no longer require your services".

I plan on simply keeping my mouth shut.

I don't see my employer changing policy due to a law. In fact, I could see them looking forward to being the test case...even if that weren't the case I don't see why anyone would feel the need to advertise.

vwfred69

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    noblesville
    my plant manager said basically the same thing to me and then followed it up with "I won't let anyone on my private property with a gun, and this is private property just the same as my house. Go ahead bring your gun to work."
    I have since dropped the subject!

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    Dont forget, your employer can say he fired you for another reason. Remember legal bills are very expensive especially when you are out of a job! Keep the weapon out of sight and out of any discussion. Better to be tried by a jury of your peers than carried by a group of six Pall Bearers.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Even when the new law goes into effect in July, the key will continue to be (for most), "Don't ask; Don't tell."

That includes talking about "it" on internet forums.

HK45Mark23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Newburgh
    my plant manager said basically the same thing to me and then followed it up with "I won't let anyone on my private property with a gun, and this is private property just the same as my house. Go ahead bring your gun to work."
    I have since dropped the subject!

Your car is also private property and according to the Castle Doctoring it is a mobile castle and has the same legal standing as your house.

You may be on his private property, but your car is your private property and you can by law keep your firearm in it. They can’t fire you for having your firearm in your car, no matter if that the car is on their property.

I have more information for you on this; I will be back in a few days or week with it if I can find it.

Don’t ask don’t tell is the best policy really.

By the way a Kel-Tec P3AT will fit in a pocket really nicely.

Also if they are telling you their policy and it violates the law, I would try to get a nice digital recording of them or better yet video. Phones are a wonder today.

Top Bottom