• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erik7941

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Noblesville
    While I see your point, I have to disagree. My car is MY property too. If my employer disarms me in their building, fine, I can understand that even if I do not agree with it. If they do not allow me a gun in my car, they disarm me both to, and form, work as well. THIS affects MY rights more than it does theirs, because it affects me off of their property as well.

If they want to make a caveat to the Bill that says employers can insist on the gun being locked, either by trigger lock, or small gun safe, I could agree with that, but telling me I have to give up my rights on the way to work, at work, and on the way home?

I agree completely. I have already contacted my Senator on this issue because my employer does not allow guns anywhere on company property as long as you are on the clock (or are going to be or you are leaving work). They don't have a problem with anyone carrying in the store, as I have done so on my days off, but if I'm going to work, I can't take my gun and lock it in my car. I hate not having my gun on me when I go to work and it's worse when I leave work since the managers keep telling us of break-ins occuring at night in our store chain and at other stores in the area. So we all have to leave as a group at night in case there is some kind of robbery attempt, but I still can't bring my gun to work and leave it in my car. If I want to go out with friends after work, I either have to meet them later to run home to get my gun or I can choose to just go without it. But I hate going anywhere without my gun.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I agree completely. I have already contacted my Senator on this issue because my employer does not allow guns anywhere on company property as long as you are on the clock (or are going to be or you are leaving work). They don't have a problem with anyone carrying in the store, as I have done so on my days off, but if I'm going to work, I can't take my gun and lock it in my car. I hate not having my gun on me when I go to work and it's worse when I leave work since the managers keep telling us of break-ins occuring at night in our store chain and at other stores in the area. So we all have to leave as a group at night in case there is some kind of robbery attempt, but I still can't bring my gun to work and leave it in my car. If I want to go out with friends after work, I either have to meet them later to run home to get my gun or I can choose to just go without it. But I hate going anywhere without my gun.

Never underestimate the power of a tuckable IWB holster.

iwb_holster1.jpg

iwb_holster2.jpg

(Both pics stolen from Google Image Result for http://concealedcarryholsters.org/wp-content/images/iwb_holster2.jpg)

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    You can also send the email to your senator by using the form provided on the link Roadie posted previously. That is probably the simplest way to go about contacting your senator.

Here is the email I sent to my state Senator. Feel free to use it, too.

Caleb

I got a reply from my state senator today.

Caleb: Thank you for your e-mail. I am a co-author on this bill.

Doh! :facepalm:

Next time, I'll remember to do a tad more research before writing my rep to make sure that I don't look like a fool!

Caleb

ETA - my state senator is Senator Kruse.

Last edited:

WaltherFan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    EM69XX aka Fishers
    I’ve seen a posting that has stated that you can CCW on a collage campus. I think the wording in this bill clarifies that you cannot CCW on a campus.

(1) in or on school property, in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function, or on a school bus in violation of IC 20-33-8-16 or IC 35-47-9-2;
    (2) on the property of:
    (A) a child caring institution;
    (B) an emergency shelter care child caring institution;
    (C) a private secure facility;
    (D) a group home; or
    (E) an emergency shelter care group home;
    in violation of 465 IAC 2-9-80, 465 IAC 2-10-79, 465 IAC 2-11-80, 465 IAC 2-12-78, or 465 IAC 2-13-77;
    (3) on the property of a penal facility (as defined in IC 35-41-1-21);
    (4) in violation of federal law; or

(5) in or on property belonging to an approved postsecondary educational institution (as defined in IC 21-7-13-6(b)).

Am I correct?

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I’ve seen a posting that has stated that you can CCW on a collage campus. I think the wording in this bill clarifies that you cannot CCW on a campus.

(1) in or on school property, in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function, or on a school bus in violation of IC 20-33-8-16 or IC 35-47-9-2;
    (2) on the property of:
    (A) a child caring institution;
    (B) an emergency shelter care child caring institution;
    (C) a private secure facility;
    (D) a group home; or
    (E) an emergency shelter care group home;
    in violation of 465 IAC 2-9-80, 465 IAC 2-10-79, 465 IAC 2-11-80, 465 IAC 2-12-78, or 465 IAC 2-13-77;
    (3) on the property of a penal facility (as defined in IC 35-41-1-21);
    (4) in violation of federal law; or

(5) in or on property belonging to an approved postsecondary educational institution (as defined in IC 21-7-13-6(b)).

Am I correct?

That refers to schools up through high school. For more info on carrying on college campuses, check out Students for Concealed Carry on Campus - ConcealedCampus.com. That site provides info on the laws in each state, but of course you should always verify it on your own, too.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Actually, postsecondary is colleges. However, this bill would not make it illegal to carry there.

This bill would allow colleges to continue to adopt or enforce rules (not laws) for their employees and students to follow.

It exempts them from other businesses which would not be allowed to enforce similar rules.

Summary, Senate Bill 0025

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Actually, postsecondary is colleges. However, this bill would not make it illegal to carry there.

This bill would allow colleges to continue to adopt or enforce rules (not laws) for their employees and students to follow.

Turns out I didn't read carefully enough. The quote said to refer to IC 21-7-13-6, which reads:

"Approved postsecondary educational institution"
    Sec. 6. (a) "Approved postsecondary educational institution", for purposes of this title (except section 15 of this chapter, IC 21-12-6, IC 21-12-7, and IC 21-13-1-4) means the following:
    (1) A postsecondary educational institution that operates in Indiana and:
    (A) provides an organized two (2) year or longer program of collegiate grade directly creditable toward a baccalaureate degree;
    (B) is either operated by the state or operated nonprofit; and
    (C) is accredited by a recognized regional accrediting agency or by the commission on proprietary education.
    (2) Ivy Tech Community College.
    (3) A hospital that operates a nursing diploma program that is accredited by the Indiana state board of nursing.

I stand corrected.

Caleb

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I got a reply from my state senator today.

Doh! :facepalm:

Next time, I'll remember to do a tad more research before writing my rep to make sure that I don't look like a fool!

Caleb

ETA - my state senator is Senator Kruse.

It's all good. Here's a list of the authors:

Nugent, Bray, Charbonneau, Delph, Head, Hershman, Hume, Kruse, Landske, Paul, Steele, Stutzman, Walker, Waltz, Waterman
    Just a reminder, Stutzman is running against Bayh next election. He is on our side.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Time to write my Legislators again. Thanks for the heads up!

These are the kinds of Politics threads I enjoy reading :)
    Yes I'm Biased. No the above sentence isn't the official stance of the board, nor it's owner. :)

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Just a reminder, Stutzman is running against Bayh next election. He is on our side.

Stutzman made an appearance at my College Republicans group last Fall. After he finished his speech and the allotted questions time, he, and most of us in attendance, just sat around and talked for another hour or so. He is a very stand-up guy, a solid representative, and he's got my vote.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

It exempts them from other businesses which would not be allowed to enforce similar rules.

Summary, Senate Bill 0025

This is why I had to contact my Senator to oppose this in its current form. Why should I as an employee of a college have less rights than someone in some other line of work? I don't get the postsecondary exemption, everyone attending or working at a college is an adult, it's not like the bill is allowing CCW there in opposition to campus policy.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I believe that (5) got added in in subcommittee last year to try to get it past another political hurdle.

It is crap and didn't succeed but it managed to stay in this year's draft.:noway:

jim b

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Ind. panel holds off voting on workplace gun bill
    By CHARLES WILSON
    Associated Press Writer

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]Advertisement[/FONT]
    INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- An Indiana House committee is holding off action on a bill that would prohibit companies from banning guns in people's locked cars at work.
    Supporters say employees have a right to have legal firearms in their locked cars. But opponents - mainly businesses - say companies have a right to protect their employees from workplace violence.
    Ed Roberts of the Indiana Manufacturers Association says the bill would "usurp" business owners' property rights.
    However, some opponents seem resigned to the bill's passing and asked the House Natural Resources Committee on Thursday to amend it to protect businesses from being sued if someone is harmed in a workplace shooting because guns weren't banned.
    The committee expects to vote on the bill next week.

WXNT - AP NEWS STORY

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    How about pressing for a bill that allows companies to ban guns in the workplace and employees cars. But also holds them EXPLICITLY responsible for their decision to render employees defenseless if they do so. Protects the employer's ability to exercise control over their employee's private property, and makes them pay for their negligence in disarming and rendering defenseless said employee if they do so and an employee is injured in a criminal act at work, on the way to work, or on the way home from work.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    This is why I had to contact my Senator to oppose this in its current form. Why should I as an employee of a college have less rights than someone in some other line of work? I don't get the postsecondary exemption, everyone attending or working at a college is an adult, it's not like the bill is allowing CCW there in opposition to campus policy.

The "why" is simply that doing it that way will get more votes than doing it the other way.

The reason to support it now is because it keeps the momentum going on giving people back their RKBA. Once it's in place it becomes a lot easier to expand it than getting the law on the books in the first place.

Small steps that we can achieve now are far better than the "perfect" law that has no chance of passage. That one-small-step-at-a-time approach is what worked well for the antis for the past 75 years. It worked well for various "civil rights" movements. And it can work well for us.

Get whatever improvement we can get now.
    Hold onto that improvement like grim death.
    From the position of the improved position start working on the next improvement.

"The mills of the Gods grind slowly, but exceedingly fine."

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    The "why" is simply that doing it that way will get more votes than doing it the other way.

The reason to support it now is because it keeps the momentum going on giving people back their RKBA. Once it's in place it becomes a lot easier to expand it than getting the law on the books in the first place.

Small steps that we can achieve now are far better than the "perfect" law that has no chance of passage. That one-small-step-at-a-time approach is what worked well for the antis for the past 75 years. It worked well for various "civil rights" movements. And it can work well for us.

Get whatever improvement we can get now.
    Hold onto that improvement like grim death.
    From the position of the improved position start working on the next improvement.

"The mills of the Gods grind slowly, but exceedingly fine."
    :+1:
    If you wait for one perfect bill, you will be waiting a very long time.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Supporters say employees have a right to have legal firearms in their locked cars. But opponents - mainly businesses - say companies have a right to protect their employees from workplace violence.

Why not just go right to the source, then, and ban workplace violence? I mean, really ban it. Not just vague laws about assault and battery, and murder. Real laws that say things like "No hurting or killing people on the property of an employer." Surely that'll do more than just allowing companies to make rules about guns on their property.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008

Agreed. Post secondary education should NOT be exempted and especially STATE schools. At Indiana University, staff with a LTCH could CARRY at work/on campus up to the mid '90s (when the policy was changed). I have no problem w/private property restrictions, but the Constitution is in place to limit STATE/gov't restrictions.

Top Bottom