• ...and so much more!
  • ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    NRA Convention

Sarah Palin addressing the NRA convention in Indy:
    "If I were in charge, the world would know that water boarding is our way of baptizing terrorists"
    This I like. Some of her speech I thought was too cutsie and she used too many clichés.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Subtle metaphor swish! straight over peoples' heads. When you've been brainwashed to expect that anything she says is going to be stupid/insane, you will interpret anything she says as stupid/insane. Think for yourself.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Water boarding, thumbscrews, electrical probes on the pecks, whatever it takes to get the information out of a terrorist, is fair play in my book.

Except your government calls you a terrorist for owning a gun.

Are you really so sure you want to support these policies which WILL be used on you eventually? Lost your guns in a boating accident? We'll just rip your finger nails out and give you some dental work until you decide to tell us where you put these firearms. It has to be done for the children!

Meanwhile everyone screams BS and denies the possibility. But they tend to forget where we are and where we have come from. It's a reality that has to be dealt with instead of shoved aside and ignored.

Not to mention torture is about the least reliable way to produce credible information. After a certain point someone is just going to tell you what you want to hear whether it's right or wrong.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I think it's fair for people to take her statements at face value, and there have been some real gems, and decide that she may not be all that fit for public office. I don't think people are bigots towards her because she's female, or because she doesn't vote democrat. Even though she makes a lot of soundbites that excite conservatives, overall I think she does more harm than good. She gives them too many "Dan Quayle" moments to criticize, and it enables militant progressive lunatics to heap all the level headed conservative women into the same class as her. I see Sara Paliin as a tabloid political pundit. She has to rely on sensationalism to remain relevant.

How is it an unforgivable offense for Palin or Quayle to have a 'Quayle Moment', but it is just fine for the 57 states Kenyan or 'I invented the internet' Gore?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How is it an unforgivable offense for Palin or Quayle to have a 'Quayle Moment', but it is just fine for the 57 states Kenyan or 'I invented the internet' Gore?

I am not sure why Sarah gets such a tough time from so many.
    I am not a huge fan but I am not a huge fan of "ANY" politician. Many of them say far more idiotic :poop: than she does and do not get near the negative.
    Dumb and dumber....really. Calling an entire room of people "Dumber"..........I am guilty of some blanket insensitivity (no, I do not have a ****ing Link) but this was a room full of 2A supporters and gun people. Maybe they feel a bit as I do, embarrassed at how we as a country have been acting and where we are being led. Torture is a subject we can go at from many angles. Personal feelings and emotion will be a major factor.
    What would any of you do. How would or should we address this. I am more the hit them in the head with the board kinda guy. Save the water.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I am not sure why Sarah gets such a tough time from so many.
    I am not a huge fan but I am not a huge fan of "ANY" politician. Many of them say far more idiotic :poop: than she does and do not get near the negative.
    Dumb and dumber....really. Calling an entire room of people "Dumber"..........I am guilty of some blanket insensitivity (no, I do not have a ****ing Link) but this was a room full of 2A supporters and gun people. Maybe they feel a bit as I do, embarrassed at how we as a country have been acting and where we are being led. Torture is a subject we can go at from many angles. Personal feelings and emotion will be a major factor.
    What would any of you do. How would or should we address this. I am more the hit them in the head with the board kinda guy. Save the water.

I find the torture issue to be a difficult one. Given that we have already been branded terrorists of a higher order than AQ by our own government and my general disagreement, I have to generally oppose its employment, especially by the .gov. I am not convinced that waterboarding constitutes torture although compelling arguments have been made both ways. On the other hand, if the life of someone to whom I assign special value were in danger and I had the terrorist (assuming that he fell into the presumed demographic) he would be bound and forced to watch me fry bacon, cool the grease, fill cavities in hollow points with it, and then be advised that he could either cooperate for have his martyrdom immediately exchanged for a one way trip to Hell, on video for posterity and cooperation from future offenders.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Incorrect. Kalik Sheik Mohammed was waterboarded, and it has been well documented and well publicized that his waterboarding DID, in fact, provide valuable information.

Disagree that waterboarding is 'torture'. In fact, it's probably less 'traumatic' then some of the hazing I've been through in my life time.

Waterboarding Success Stories: Khalid Shaikh Mohammed and Library Tower | waterboarding.org

Uhh, yeah... about that. Every instance of thwarted terror attacks based on this supposed intelligence were reported, the perpetrators arrested, and records released prior to kalik shiek mohammed capture. Don't believe everything you read....

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Wrong. "We hold these truths to be self-evident: That all men are created equal. That they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights. That among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" (Declaration of Independence, United States of America) (punctuation may be in error, I typed from memory)

ALL men. Not all Americans. Not all males. Not all citizens. ALL men. This was the belief of our Founders, which, yes, you have said they made up. That said, however, their beliefs were what created this country, and their beliefs and the documents and actions that came from those beliefs have served us well for over 200 years.

Now... if someone chooses to abdicate their rights by attempting to cause harm or death to others unprovoked, such persons may do so, just as an arrested person CAN choose to "waive the right to remain silent" under Miranda. The sticky point is that we don't know that they're attempting murder without the information. We may suspect, but suspicion may not be valid as a justification to apply these methods.

If it's my kid who's in danger, I'll do what I have to do to get the information to remove that danger. I will do so without regret and while I may lose sleep over it, it will be the fact that my daughter is safe and the fact that my actions made that possible that will allow me to go back to sleep. Drawing the line on where we can and cannot do this or that, though, is the harder part.

Blessings,
    Bill

American rights, correct.

Holder: Constitution doesn't cover terrorists ? USATODAY.com

They may have their own rights where they come from, but enemies to our nation aren't afforded our American rights and protections.

But you knew that.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The Bill of Rights was not written to 'apply' to a certain demographic. It was written written to govern the government. The government may not torture, period.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    *BoR wisdom*

Might be the first time I've been BoR'd. :)

I keep looking at it in the unprovoked harm standpoint of losing their rights, I guess. As someone said before, there were non-combatants being tortured, and I was unaware. I don't know how I feel about that yet. Balance between safety and abhorrent action.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Palin is the political version of a TV evangelist. "Send me your money, and ill do absolutely nothing with it except watch it gain interest in my back acct."

Top Bottom