OSUT 262: The King has Been Neutered....and Waylon too...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    You know, the ones for $8/lb. look like the "Scallops and Pieces" that I saw at Fresh Thyme. The $10/lb. ones look like the "Scallops" that Fresh Thyme had for $16.99/lb..
    Even pieces are great for scallop and noodle salads. Like everyday tuna noodle, but with scampi scallops.
    :thumbsup:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    "Creative cooking" doesn't have to be expensive. I remember back in the early 80's, my roomie and I got "creative" with our cooking, since we were both two broke guys. Once, we had a box of mac 'n cheese but we wanted to doctor it up. For some reason, we had a little container of "Curry Spice", so we added it to the mac 'n cheese. We called it "Maharoni". :):

Another time, we had gone fishing up on the Tippy and caught what I thought were "white bass". We took them home, cleaned them, and realized the only "breading" we had was Shake 'n Bake BBQ flavor. We used that. It was not good. And to add insult to injury, those "white bass"? They were shad. I'm sure that contributed to the "not good" part. :puke:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Even pieces are great for scallop and noodle salads. Like everyday tuna noodle, but with scampi scallops.
    :thumbsup:
    I've never tried something like that. Sounds interesting! Or maybe as a "scallop tetrazinni" kinda dish...

Wu8GwXa.gif

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    The only thing worse than Fri the 13th is

Sat the 14th!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrgggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    I've never tried something like that. Sounds interesting! Or maybe as a "scallop tetrazinni" kinda dish...

Wu8GwXa.gif
    I used to buy Gulf coast scallops right off the boat.
    Texas side had smaller product that the Florida side, but still alive when they hit the port.
    Plus, Texas sand bars were much farther apart out there. Way more toil for the fishers.

Same with shrimp, but off the Texas coast, fishers brought in much larger shrimp.

They measure shrimp by how many it takes to make a pound.
    I have bought fresh, live shrimp right off the boat that were 0.5 size. That's a two pound shrimp.
    A splurge, because the restaurants were there, too, outbidding lay folk.

Bought lots of eight and four size at a fraction of what the prizes cost, though.
    Wrap them in bacon, slow smoke them and you gotcha something special.

Our fresh scallops were not big enough to use that way, but I bought buckets of them! Stir fried them many ways.

Last edited:

BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    I used to buy Gulf coast scallops right off the boat.
    Texas side had smaller product that the Florida side, but still alive when they hit the port.
    Funny thing about the scallop fishers, they would get the huge boats tied up and about forty divers would literally RUN away as fast as they could.
    Ending their work week.

Best I could do for them was to buy all I could.

Top Bottom