• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    I'm sorry... but my preofessional opinion disagrees. I've seen too many roll through the shop with 90k+ that are just a disaster waiting to happen. 90% of ours end up going straight to auction.

My experience as an owner would disagree, but then again it all depends on your clientele. To each their own

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    Small Honda's- rear tire thing again. Not going to happen.

The Honda CR-V hasn't had a rear tire on the gate since 2006. 2007-2011 (3rd Gen) all have it under the vehicle like most other SUVs. The 2012 (4th Gen) is an all new design being released in December, so the previous Gen versions may see a price drop or better availability soon.

The 3rd Gens are pretty nice; seems to have rock solid reliability with a great setup. Honda engineers do a great job packaging; that thing has much more interior volume than other small Utes (even ones that are bigger externally like the Equinox).

trillobite

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Muncie
    I'll put in my argument for a Subaru Outback wagon. It drives like a small car, great visibility all around, has more interior space than either my CJ7 or my (dead) Pathfinder, heated seats, AWD that laughs at snow and ice, and 100,000 miles between major services. I have a '99 and '98, which are allegedly horrific head gasket years (redesign in 2000 models), and I pulled the engines and redid the belts, water pump, head gaskets, and whatever else i felt needed done. At $900 in parts (and free labor), I have no qualms about keeping and driving either car 100,000 miles, and dropping another $900 into each of them. Oil changes are really laughably easy, the ground clearance makes everything easily accessible.

My 1985 CJ7 will end up being for sale, as my wife can't drive a stick any more, and I'd like something with a bit more power than a 2.5 with a 4 speed. It does fine in winter, but nowhere near as good as the Outbacks, which can also go on the highway without getting ran over.

My (scrapped) Pathfinder, 1987 model, was a great truck. Only issue I had with it was it liked to fishtail in the winter, unexpectedly, on corners. It had a solid rear axle, and I figure that issue is gone in the new models. Sold it to my wife's brother, and he went to jail. His girlfriend poured antifreeze into the engine, and drove it until the engine seized. I was very, very unhappy when she called to tell me to come pick it up, and the engine was ruined.

DaveL

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Lafayette
    As for the hyundai quality, they entered the "getting better" phase in late 2000. 2001-2005 is their era of drastically improving quality. 06-up they are even with the Japanese for quality, ride, comfort, amenities etc. 2012-up they have surpassed them.

I agree. My oldest Hyundai is an '02 with 193,000 on it and runs just fine. Only maint has been timing belt and calipers. And the '11s on are very, very nice.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I have an Oldsmobile Bravada. It is AWD. Listen to my words and stay FAR FAR AWAY. It only has 67,000 miles, and has been nothing but problems since I bought it with 46,000 miles.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    One thing I don't care for on the Hyundai or KIA, and even the Escape is the seat doesn't go far enough back. I don't consider myself tall (5'11") but have long legs and I just felt uncomfortable in the one's I've had as rentals.

snowdrifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Next to Atterbury
    I used to have a 2000 Xterra. It was fun to drive, decent power, and was the absolute best vehicle I've ever driven in snow! Unfortunately it was kind of a gas hog, especially on the freeway. Still miss it sometimes. The gf has a 2010 Subaru Lecagcy. It's a really roomy sedan, and has the 2.5L four cylinder with the CVT and she frequently gets over 30MPG, which I find impressive for an AWD. Maybe consider one of Subaru's SUV's?

pate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Bloomington area
    stay away from them ford exploders!!! if u want a good dependable suv then get a chevy blazer!! we have a 95 blazer 4 door 4x4 and it as of right now has 298,462 miles and counting. still purrs like a kitten!! its never been rebuilt and still on same tranny. only thing ive ever done is plugs, wires, cap, button, and i change the oil evry 20-30,000 if im lucky lol. ive never stuck to the 3,000 mile oil change deal. the tranny fluid has never been changed either.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'd like to add the Subaru CTV is top notch. It takes a little while to get used to, but once you do, it's fantastic. I was told that Subaru sells its older generations to Audi, Porsche and Nissan. When you test drive a Nissan Murano, and the salesman brags about the transmission, it's old technology.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Just saw a TV commercial last night for Andy Mohr Ford... 2012 Escapes priced at $14,900... Can guarantee there isn't a single "option" on them an they're 2wd, but it's a start!

Also, OP, are y'all dead-set on having AWD / 4WD? Is that really NEEDED in Indiana?

-J-

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    My experience as an owner would disagree, but then again it all depends on your clientele. To each their own

I see 2 -3 a week as trade-ins. If it was one or two, I would agree with you. But when it's 90%, I can't. Just like all car makes, they all have their pluses and negatives. My suggestion for BMW and Mrecededs is to lease a new one. Then when the lease is up, trade it in for another.

marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I would love to know what you drove. Having owned Hyundai's for the last 10 years, My experience is the suspension is quite the opposite... way too soft.

It probably wasn't fair of me to lump the Hyundai and Kia together as the Kia was a rougher ride than anything else we drove. The Hyundai Sedan we tried (Elantra IIRC) didn't handle bumps very well. As long as you were on smooth pavement it wasn't too bad. The Tucson was a rough ride but the Santa Fe was a pretty nice vehicle.

On the Kia side the Sorento wasn't too bad but the Soul was more like an old buckboard wagon than anything I've ever driven.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Not sure what type of dealer you work at but like I said it depends on your clientele. I worked at a MB/BMW dealer for a couple years

marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg
    stay away from them ford exploders!!! if u want a good dependable suv then get a chevy blazer!! we have a 95 blazer 4 door 4x4 and it as of right now has 298,462 miles and counting. still purrs like a kitten!! its never been rebuilt and still on same tranny. only thing ive ever done is plugs, wires, cap, button, and i change the oil evry 20-30,000 if im lucky lol. ive never stuck to the 3,000 mile oil change deal. the tranny fluid has never been changed either.

Blazers from the mid-to-late nineties can be hit or miss so check them out thoroughly. I had a 2WD '97 that I bought new and got rid of before it reached 36K miles. During the last 5-6K it literally spent more time in the dealerships repair center than it did in my driveway. My neighbors thought I had traded it in for a Dodge Ram (the loaner vehicle). It had problems with the brakes, AC, suspension, steering, cooling system as well as numerous electrical problems. The engine and transmission however were rock solid. It almost qualified as lemon under OK law which is shocking because the auto lobby made sure the law was so watered down that no one would ever be able to return a car under it. I'm sure there are 10 good ones on the road for every lemon like I had, just be careful.

I know people who've had hit-or-miss experiences with the explorers too. It seems (to me anyway) that Expedition owners seem to complain about fewer problems than the Explorer and Escape owners. But you've already stated that the Expedition is more vehicle than you are planning for.

Last edited:

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Just saw a TV commercial last night for Andy Mohr Ford... 2012 Escapes priced at $14,900... Can guarantee there isn't a single "option" on them an they're 2wd, but it's a start!

Also, OP, are y'all dead-set on having AWD / 4WD? Is that really NEEDED in Indiana?

-J-

Yeah, I'll say it's needed.

Currently, living in a sub-division, our streets don't start getting plowed until 2hrs after the snow stops falling. So, like last year when it snowed 2' over a day and a half, we didn't get plowed until it was all over. I drove to and from work twice and our street and cul-de-sac hadn't been plowed. As I posted up thread, I used my old Santa Fe to push some folks out of our neighborhood one winter when their accord couldn't get through.

Secondly, and this may not be a factor for most, but my quickest drive to work does not involve any of the major in/out routes from Indy proper. Camby road is usually passable during severe winter weather, but it's an exciting trip once you get West of 67.

Finally, plenty of folks live totally rural, and you're pretty well screwed if you don't have a 4WD vehicle in the winter.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Finally, plenty of folks live totally rural, and you're pretty well screwed if you don't have a 4WD vehicle in the winter.

nOT necessarily true. Where I live, a 4wd wouldn't do any good. When the road has 6' tall drifts that are 20 yards long down your road in boath directions, you ain't going anywhere. Our truck is 1wd (open diff) and we have one of the water bag's for weight. Never left us stranded yet. Just have to be smart about your driving style.

mister

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Fairmount, IN
    *sigh*

I'm just going to sit back and watch the favoritism of car manufacturers dispute between the hard headed ones.

:popcorn:

Every thread like this goes down that same path.

BTW, you and ole bobzilla should know who I am by the LGT recommendation.

Mister projectlgt himself. ;)

buying a used car is like buying a EDC. you have to go out and try them all, drive them all and then do your research.

Best advice posted so far.

/thread

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom