• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I'll second that. We just recently got my wife a new car and in the process we looked at Hyundia and Kia. Very noisy and all but the most top end vehicles rode like an old buck-board wagon. Needless to say we were not impressed.

Sounds to me like what you need is maybe a Jeep Compass. There are plenty of 4wd/4cyl/auto Compass' out there on the used lots.

I would love to know what you drove. Having owned Hyundai's for the last 10 years, My experience is the suspension is quite the opposite... way too soft.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Good stuff guys.

Suburban - absolutely out of the question. Way to big, wanting smaller than our Expedition. Looked at them when we bought the Expedition. Have a Chevy truck with 210K on it and it runs like a champ. No complaints with my Chevrolet trucks, ever. Just don't know about the Equinox. GMC Terrain, out of the price range.

Ford Escape - That's a possibility.

Toyota FJ - not a chance. Rear tire on outside is a big NEGATIVE for the wife. Had one like that on the Isuzu Rodeo and she hated it. Blocked her vision. She drove and FJ and liked it,....except for the tire that blocked her vision.

Dodge Nitro - That one scared me when she said it. Never had a Dodge, don't plan to now. Nothing against Dodge guys, just not for me.

Hyundai - Entrigued me, but don't know about reliability and if I can get 150K on it.

Small Honda's- rear tire thing again. Not going to happen.

I told he she needs to actually drive what she thinks she likes. That's the plan for later this week.

Dirty Steve

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    if you're worried about Hyundai reliability, don't. They are above par with the Japanese makers right now.... although they have been on a decline for the better part of a decade.

2 Hyundai's in my "stable" right now. 194k on one, 146k on the other. Plans are to keep them both to well over 250k each. Between the two being extremely durable, theyare cheap to maintain. Parts are cheap and they're easy to work on.

3point5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Kokomo
    Im an domestic guy, chrysler to be more precise...

But Grand Cherokee's (4.0 I6 preferably) and Explorers are tough to beat.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    I'll weigh in on Hyundai also.
    We bought a 2001 Santa Fe (1st model year) and had 1 issue that happened in almost 9years and 130k miles. Well, it happened 2x, but it was the shift speed sensor both times.

We bought the upper end version with the V6 and all the options. I'd buy another one tomorrow. They do have that AWD that's not really, but I pushed a Honda Accord out of my subdivision a few winters ago, so they'll do just find in 6" of snow.

I didn't notice much in the way of road noise and it was our vacation vehicle for several years. The steering was tight and the ride was good regardless of road conditions. I was very impressed for a 1st year model. They also have a fantastic warranty.
    (not mine, but exactly like it)
    santafe.jpg

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I'll weigh in on Hyundai also.
    We bought a 2001 Santa Fe (1st model year) and had 1 issue that happened in almost 9years and 130k miles. Well, it happened 2x, but it was the shift speed sensor both times.

We bought the upper end version with the V6 and all the options. I'd buy another one tomorrow. They do have that AWD that's not really, but I pushed a Honda Accord out of my subdivision a few winters ago, so they'll do just find in 6" of snow.

I didn't notice much in the way of road noise and it was our vacation vehicle for several years. The steering was tight and the ride was good regardless of road conditions. I was very impressed for a 1st year model. They also have a fantastic warranty.
    (not mine, but exactly like it)
    santafe.jpg

And you have the ****ty version. :): I can say that, I spent 3 years working for them and 10 years owning them. :laugh:

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    And you have the ****ty version. :): I can say that, I spent 3 years working for them and 10 years owning them. :laugh:

Yeah, I imagine so. I've always been leery of 1st model years, but that Santa Fe caught me like a bear-trap. I'm guessing the new models are better?

My only real reasons for getting rid of the Santa Fe was that the wife wanted a minivan and we knew the SF has 0 towing capacity.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Yep, the new Sante Fe's make your 01 look like a 1990 Excel in comparison. It's night and day difference. I spent a lot of time behind the wheel of the boss's demo Sante Fe's while I was there. Not bad, but compared to the newest generation it's completely different.

Then again, wife and I test drove the new 2012 Elantra. Makes my 2002 look like an old pile of crap....and I love my 02.

mister

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Fairmount, IN
    Not an SUV but.....

Subaru Legacy. GT preferably.

AWD
    High 20's MPG
    Heated Seats
    Automatic transmissions are available
    Low cost of ownership
    Comfortable
    Big trunk for road trips (mine holds 4 golf bags)
    Sunroof/leather
    Low insurance rates
    Definitely in your price/mileage range

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    *EDIT* - LOL, Go figure; I post this and the ^guy^ right above me drags Subaru in before me. +1!

Something I'm surprised hasn't hit within the first 3 pages...

Subaru Forester.

For your <$15k range, I'd suspect you'd be in the 03-06 range...
    Any who, based off of pure personal experience and ownership of all manufactures,

They're built off of a platform designed to withhold lots of abuse (rough weather, roads),
    Ride quality is certainly above average and they're a great size (if you just need the space but don't want a full size SUV).

I recommend it not for sake of favoritism (I've only owned one Subaru and am certainly unbiased with the company) -
    but I have to say, again, they're incredibly well built vehicles and with standard maintenance, have the capability of kicking on for 3/400,000 miles with no hiccups.

From what you've mentioned in your OP:

Hyundai has REALLY improved on their quality of build... However, for <$15k,
    You'll be forced into an 05-09 probably, which was during their 'Getting better' phase.
    Either way, Hyundai is certainly turning heads and getting attention from people that never would've considered them.

Dodge Nitro.... Eh. As much as I support CDJR for making amazing vehicles,
    This certainly doesn't stand anywhere near the top when it comes to setting itself from other vehicles in the same class. Not bad; not great.

Subaru Forester is definitely a contender, though. Keypoints:
    -AWD Drivetrain is top notch durability
    -Ride comfort is in the upper percentile of cars in it's class
    -Size is popular for wanting the 'big vehicle' feel without having a gas hog
    -Standard maintenance will have those boxer motors kicking strong until you're likely ready to get rid of it.

Good luck with your decision, regardless. Hope that helped.

Last edited:

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    bE AWAre that the 2.5 Forester's are popping head gaskets about the time you need a timing belt job. T-belts are a pain in the arse to change and make sure you keep up with the correct fluids in the drivetrain.

As for the hyundai quality, they entered the "getting better" phase in late 2000. 2001-2005 is their era of drastically improving quality. 06-up they are even with the Japanese for quality, ride, comfort, amenities etc. 2012-up they have surpassed them.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    You buy a BMW, better take out a second loan for maintenance. You're buying a used, German luxury vehicle. They are not cheap to maintain. $100 oil changes etc....

The Sante Fe is a great vehicle. Be sureto avoid the 2.7L V6 in the early ones though. They sucked.

Not entirely true. While a dealer oil change may cost you $100 BMW uses synthetic oil and oil changes are at 15K mile intervals. You will pay that following a 5K mile interval at any quick change shop or more at a dealer. If you are slightly inclined, BMW is one of the easiest vehicles I have ever worked on. There's several online retailers that sell parts reasonable. I'd also hardly refer to one newer than 2000 as maintenance intensive.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Not entirely true. While a dealer oil change may cost you $100 BMW uses synthetic oil and oil changes are at 15K mile intervals. You will pay that following a 5K mile interval at any quick change shop or more at a dealer. If you are slightly inclined, BMW is one of the easiest vehicles I have ever worked on. There's several online retailers that sell parts reasonable. I'd also hardly refer to one newer than 2000 as maintenance intensive.

I'm sorry... but my preofessional opinion disagrees. I've seen too many roll through the shop with 90k+ that are just a disaster waiting to happen. 90% of ours end up going straight to auction.

IndianaSigma

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Huntington, IN
    IMO the Dodge SUV's are not quality vehicles. The Durango rides very rough and the Nitro isn't built well at all.

Out of the options you suggested, I'd go with the Chevy or Nissan as I have heard good things of both. Another option you could look into is a GMC Terrain. They come with a 4-cylinder option for great mileage, but finding a used one may be a chore as they are rather new.

I'd stay away from all Saturns as they seem to require quite a bit of time in the repair shop. Hondas are overrated and in turn overpriced. Hyundai makes a quality vehicle, but they aren't the most stylish vehicles in the world.

You can't go wrong with these manufacturers when it comes to SUVs: Chevy, GMC, Ford, Nissan, Saab and Jeep. Infinity also makes a nice SUV, but they are very pricey.

Just my :twocents:

MrsXtremeVel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My parent's bought a brand new Equinox, drove it to FL, came back to IN and returned it. They were very disappointed in the way it drove at higher speeds. It made a funny noise when it accelerated and wouldn't stay consistent in cruise control. The ended getting a GMC Acadia. They lost about 3 grand returning it, but got a better quality of vehicle instead.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom