• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowdrifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Next to Atterbury
    Our truck is 1wd (open diff) and we have one of the water bag's for weight. Never left us stranded yet. Just have to be smart about your driving style.

+1. My first vehicle was an old 2wd (actually 1wd) Mazda B2200 pickup. Had about 300lbs of sand in the bed and took that truck lots of places it shouldn't go. And this was in Northern WI, so a lot more snow than here. As bobzilla said, I think it just makes one a smarter driver.

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    Ford does not want to make any money, they just want to sell Escapes

Just saw a TV commercial last night for Andy Mohr Ford... 2012 Escapes priced at $14,900... Can guarantee there isn't a single "option" on them an they're 2wd, but it's a start!

Also, OP, are y'all dead-set on having AWD / 4WD? Is that really NEEDED in Indiana?

-J-

I noticed online this article:

Why Black Friday is the best day of the year to buy a car - Yahoo! Autos

It states Black Friday is the best day to buy a new car (I typically wait until the week between Christmas and New Years; end of the month, end of the quarter, end of the year and generally extra car show money in Indy).

Article states that Ford has a $2,500 incentive on 2012 Escape (selling on average with a 13.5% discount at $22,015, this most likely has 4 Wheel Drive). I know you are looking for used, but with some of the recent interest rates (0%, 2%, 2.9% and others under 4%) you could expand the payments a little longer (and drive the car a lot longer, maybe 10-12 years).

Just an idea, :laugh:__:):_:laugh:

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    From the sound of it, your needs would be met with either a gently used Honda CR-V or Subaru Forester. Both vehicles make great use of their size, return respectable fuel economy and are very reliable.

Don't turn your nose up at wagons either, I know they're not "cool", but a Subaru Outback/Legacy would be another excellent option.

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    How about the Ford Escape?!

I have one. Had it for almost a decade. Good little SUV. If I was in the Market for another in this small SUV Class I would definitely look at another one.

+1
    A friend and I just flew out to Jersey to pick up a 03 with 85k. He's had one before, and regretted selling it. Great small suv that averaged around 22mpg on the way back.
    I'd say cherokee, but finding one with low miles is getting difficult. Good luck finding what you want.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    Ford Escape/Mercury Mariner/Lincoln Aviator

Ive been looking hard into these little things for my girlfriend to replace her ageing and degrading Blazer and im becoming very fond of them. Id get the V6 4x4 Though. Both of these powerplants have been in my most familiar vehicles the Ford Ranger and the 2.3l 4 cyl will be a dog especially as a 4x4 TRUST ME ive had 2 4x4 4 cyl rangers in the past and they couldnt get around anywhere quickly or efficiently. The 3.0l flex fuel V6 is the better choice. It has just enough power to move it and do so efficiently as long as your not thinking about stuffing larger tires underneath it. Most of the 3.0l Truck engines Ive seen will run well past 200k miles. That will probably be longer than the transmission will last anyway. Going from Expedition to any small SUV will take some adjusting though. Most of the people I know who went from the big ones to the small ones complained about the lack of mass and just the different feeling you get from it.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Ford Escape/Mercury Mariner/Lincoln Aviator

Ive been looking hard into these little things for my girlfriend to replace her ageing and degrading Blazer and im becoming very fond of them. Id get the V6 4x4 Though. Both of these powerplants have been in my most familiar vehicles the Ford Ranger and the 2.3l 4 cyl will be a dog especially as a 4x4 TRUST ME ive had 2 4x4 4 cyl rangers in the past and they couldnt get around anywhere quickly or efficiently. The 3.0l flex fuel V6 is the better choice. It has just enough power to move it and do so efficiently as long as your not thinking about stuffing larger tires underneath it. Most of the 3.0l Truck engines Ive seen will run well past 200k miles. That will probably be longer than the transmission will last anyway. Going from Expedition to any small SUV will take some adjusting though. Most of the people I know who went from the big ones to the small ones complained about the lack of mass and just the different feeling you get from it.
    Do yourself the Favor of having an open mind in regards to their Auto 4wd. Mine has it, would not hesitate to order another with it. As a matter of Fact in the 9 Years I have had the Escape, it has only been in Manual (Auto Override) once. It is a wickedly capable little vehicle on the Winter Roads.

Mine is a V6 as well, if I drive it like I have a brain I can break 22 MPG fairly reliably. My problem is that I tend to drive it like a little Racecar, and still push 18+ MPG...

My only complaints with the Escape is I think the '02 that I have should have about another 20-30 Hp at the throttle, and I think it should sit about 4 more inches higher off the ground than it does.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Update:
    Yes we need 4wd or AWD. The lane to our house is a County road, but it is 1/2 a mile long, 10' wide and doesn't get plowed until 2-3 days AFTER everything else is done. Once you get down the lane, to our drive, its steep. Wife had a car 15 years ago when we first built the house and had to walk all the way when we had 4" or so of snow.
    So far she has driven the following, listed in order of what SHE likes.

Hyundai Sante Fe
    Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
    Honda CRV

Today she wants to drive an Escape. Found an 08 with 46K with all options she wanted and 4wd.

Thinks the Subaru looks like a station wagon, sorry Subaru guys, but it's her choice.

With the exception of the Honda, we have found vehicles that our close to our $15K budget with under 60K. I don't do car loans, always paid cash and not going to do a car loan now.

We'll see how today goes. Once she decides exactly what she wants, we'll be in the dealing mode.

Dirty Steve

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Grand Cherokee's are nice new, but old they nickle and dime you to death in maintenance and repairs. I hear the new ones aregetting better, but anything with a 4.7L V8 I would run from. I do mean RUN.

DaveL

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Lafayette
    A good friend of mine is the GM of a Hyundai dealership and he wanted to see something at my house last year in the midst of a major snowstorm. I said "Let's wait until another time". He said "Let's GO!" He was driving an AWD Santa Fe (he could have driven anything). I rode with him out a curvy/hilly state hiway and then up the very steep hill to my house, then back. The storm was getting worse and worse. He was close to maniacal in his trust of the Santa Fe AWD ... and it never let him/us down. I was a bit white-knuckled, but it just went right through everything. I was very impressed with the AWD system.

Note that the 60k bumper-to-bumper warranty is transferable to you, but the 100k drivetrain warranty is not transferable unless the car is a "Certified Used Hyundiai". If it is certified, then the 100k warranty does transfer.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    After driving an Escape, there was no comparison to the Santa Fe. The Escape seems like a nice vehicle, but for the price, the Santa Fe has many more options and comforts, rides better, handles better on the road and is more quite. She is now convinced that the Santa Fe is it. Drove a second one yesterday just to confirm her choice. Based on what I have read online, what you guys are telling me and what I gathered from the ones we have looked at, I think it will be a good choice for her.

I appreciate the number of responses on this thread and all of the input you guys have given me.

Dirty Steve

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Reliable, handle easy in small spaces. Still fairly useful. Nice inside, and reliable. They hold resale value like crazy.

^^^This...Love my 04 4-runner. haven't done anything to it in almost 5 years except the fluid changes (and a wheel hub that i tagged a curb with, but that was my fault). Mine has 130k on it and runs like a champ and still looks great for an 8 yr old car.

I also second the outbacks. Loved ours, but it got too small for 3 car seats at a time. Had to move up to a minivan.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Just saw a TV commercial last night for Andy Mohr Ford... 2012 Escapes priced at $14,900... Can guarantee there isn't a single "option" on them an they're 2wd, but it's a start!

Also, OP, are y'all dead-set on having AWD / 4WD? Is that really NEEDED in Indiana?

-J-

I wouldn't have an SUV or a truck without 4wd. I don't use it as much as I use to since we don't go out and play as much these days but when we get hit hard with snow, most cars aren't leaving their drives until the plows come out. Depending on where you live, yeah...it is needed or at least very, very useful.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom