• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Unarmed man attempts to rob EMU student of holstered gun

An unarmed man attempted to rob an Eastern Michigan University student of his handgun Thursday morning while he walked on Pearl Street near the campus in Ypsilanti.

According to an email alert sent out by EMU, the student — an open-carry advocate — was walking at about 9:15 a.m. in the 300 block of Pearl Street when he was approached by an unknown man. The man grabbed the student’s holstered handgun and attempted to wrestle it away from the student, according to the alert.

Another person walking by the area came to the student’s aid and was able to secure the handgun, EMU said. The suspect fled the area on foot, and no one was reported to be injured.

Statement from EMU:

Time Warning 12-11, April 19, 2012
    Reported Crime: Attempted Unarmed Robbery (Off Campus, City of Ypsilanti)

The Ypsilanti Police are investigating an attempted unarmed robbery that occurred at approximately 9:15 a.m. today , in the 300 block of Pearl Street. The victim is an EMU student and Open Carry advocate, who had his handgun in a holster. The victim reported that he was approached by an unknown suspect, who grabbed onto the gun and attempted to wrestle it away from the victim. Another person came to the victim’s aid and was able to secure the weapon and return it to the victim. The suspect fled on foot.There are no reported injuries.

The suspect is described as an African American male, in his early 20’s, of a thin build, with a beard. He was said to be wearing a black, hooded sweatshirt, red shirt, dark pants, and grey/orange tennis shoes.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    That's another reason that if I'm OCing I have a Blackhawk Serpa for at least some retention (hoping a potential grabber is not familiar with it), carry cross draw to keep my strong/shooting hand free and carry a nasty knife in my right front pocket. I hope to be able to pin the arm against my left side and cut the hell out of the perp's face, neck, side, arm and whatever else I can slash before he decides to let go and bleed out peacefully somewhere. (Gee, that sounds violent. Damn right it does!!)

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    From now on, I'm going to carry two. When the BG is wrestling with me for the first, I'll draw the second. :p

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    That's another reason that if I'm OCing I have a Blackhawk Serpa for at least some retention (hoping a potential grabber is not familiar with it), carry cross draw to keep my strong/shooting hand free and carry a nasty knife in my right front pocket. I hope to be able to pin the arm against my left side and cut the hell out of the perp's face, neck, side, arm and whatever else I can slash before he decides to let go and bleed out peacefully somewhere. (Gee, that sounds violent. Damn right it does!!)

Flashlight with a blunt strike bezel on my left side so I don't get blood on me. you would be surprised at how many people are listed with a 'Universal Precaution' in Evansville...

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Calling all cars - be on the lookout for a 5 year old little girl posing as an unarmed male assailant. Possible has :poop: in her pants from a recent failed attempt to disarm a student.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    SA much?? Why did he let the guy get that close to him?

There is no way to have 100% SA in most cases. Unless a person spins around in 360 degree circles while out and about, they aren't going to see someone coming up from behind them. I can't imagine being so paranoid due to OCing that I would be turning my head on a constant basis, always checking my 3, 6, and 9 o'clock.

I've seen OCers, and there are plenty of times I could have grabbed their gun. I'm not saying I would necessarily be successful in gaining complete physical control of it, but the chance was clearly there. It is very hard to stop someone from grabbing your gun when it is inches away from the person. If anything, this would be a good reason to have some sort of holster retention, but I'm not sure how many OCers, or even CCers, use retention.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    There is no way to have 100% SA in most cases. Unless a person spins around in 360 degree circles while out and about, they aren't going to see someone coming up from behind them. I can't imagine being so paranoid due to OCing that I would be turning my head on a constant basis, always checking my 3, 6, and 9 o'clock.

I've seen OCers, and there are plenty of times I could have grabbed their gun. I'm not saying I would necessarily be successful in gaining complete physical control of it, but the chance was clearly there. It is very hard to stop someone from grabbing your gun when it is inches away from the person. If anything, this would be a good reason to have some sort of holster retention, but I'm not sure how many OCers, or even CCers, use retention.
    Another holster series I have for several of my pistols is the pancake style (with belt loops) that rides really high (above my elbow) and sucks in really tight to my side. They have snap over straps and I have to give the gun a sudden jerk to draw. Someone would have a heck of a time unsnapping the holster and trying to pull the piece straight up while trying to dodge a 3 1/2" knife blade coming at their eyes. There again carrying cross draw with retention a perp would almost have to be a contortionist to grab my gun without being seen first or approaching me from the front.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell

I CC IWB and the retention system I use is the LH system (Love handle system).

But if someone is going to take a chance at grabbing my gun then they better be 100% successful at gaining full control. Because if they fail in their attempt, then that may possibly be the last thing they will ever grab. (This is the internet so I can act tough like that).:cool:

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy

Im half deaf and still manage to hear people coming up behind me, and if they are running, they will be making more noise, to which i would be looking at them to insure i can get out of their way. You don't have to be paranoid to OC but it helps.

TruxLupus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    I'm always acutely aware of my right hip when I'm carrying, and especially anyone entering my "personal bubble" from that angle.

You might think you could grab an OCer's weapon easily - I also bet that would be the last thing you'd ever grab for a vast majority of them. There are probably some with poor SA or a momentary slip in SA but I doubt that's very many.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    This just goes to prove that the best BUW- Back Up Weapon is anything that your friend is carrying next to you.

You know, that's a good point. I rode the Greenway trail twice by myself and even though I'm a big, bad (but very good looking and nice) MF I still felt a little butt pucker in a couple areas. It was nice on the ride with you because two guns are better than one.

Top Bottom