• ...and so much more!
  • ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...This country, and certainly this forum is occupied by precious few trained carriers with the nerve and the ability to fend off an attact...
    ...Criminals also know this.

Then what do you think deters them from grabbing every gun they see exposed and ripe for the taking?

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    Then what do you think deters them from grabbing every gun they see exposed and ripe for the taking?

Easy........I'm 45 years old. I live in one of the best gun owning states in the country, however, as of this date, I have seen exactly ONE person open carrying in my entire life. I submit that lack of opportunity is the biggest factor as to why this doesn't happen more often.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Easy........I'm 45 years old. I live in one of the best gun owning states in the country, however, as of this date, I have seen exactly ONE person open carrying in my entire life. I submit that lack of opportunity is the biggest factor as to why this doesn't happen more often.

OK, but you also live in a state where it seems half the population has no idea it's even legal to carry a gun let alone openly. :):

(It's actually more common in several of the states that don't require any license to OC.)

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Has anyone even considered that the guy doing the grabbing was just someone that was insane? Not many people grab guns from others. It does happen or is attempted on police officers while they are in a physical fight. But that certainly does not make a case or LEO's carrying concealed.

If I were a OC'er I would not let an incident like this change that. There are as many pros and cons to OC as there are for CC. One little incident like this, in which we have little information and few facts should not make a hill of beans difference in our chosen carry method.

Let's see some real data and a real pattern of issue before we do full recall.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Easy........I'm 45 years
    old. I live in one of the best gun owning states in
    the country, however, as of this date, I have seen
    exactly ONE person open carrying in my entire life.
    I submit that lack of opportunity is the biggest
    factor as to why this doesn't happen more often.

Then you're not looking enough.

I'm 50, I notice someone OC'ng every week,
    I also know that the odds of an OC'r harming
    is slim to non, it's the shady one's I pay
    attention to.

I deliver beer for a living, the potential for
    something happening to me or my assistant is
    above average to the normal person. My head
    is on a swivel all the time, so much that it is of
    habit. My wife calls me a people watcher
    because I'm always looking around.

Just wish I had Peter Parker's Spidey sense.
    picture.php

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    Then you're not looking enough.

I'm 50, I notice someone OC'ng every week,
    I also know that the odds of an OC'r harming
    is slim to non, it's the shady one's I pay
    attention to.

I deliver beer for a living, the potential for
    something happening to me or my assistant is
    above average to the normal person. My head
    is on a swivel all the time, so much that it is of
    habit. My wife calls me a people watcher
    because I'm always looking around.

Just wish I had Peter Parker's Spidey sense.

picture.php
    Perhaps.....except, I can't go by what you see, I can only go by what I see. I look all the time.

It could be our locations. As I saw someone post here, it seems the more north you go, the more liberal it is. There is probably a lot of truth to this. I live in Nappanee, but spend the majority of my days in South Bend. Still, I stand by the notion that gun theft is rare because very few people open carry......speaking purely about percentages. As somebody else posted earlier, I believe that as OC increases, gun theft attempts will also increase. JMO

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    :laugh:

I forget how serious this internet discussion stuff is... :n00b:

I know plenty of people including several Marines who carried their M9s in a Serpa in actual combat and liked them so I trust them over you any day. Also if you re-read what I posted I did not even GIVE my opinion unlike yourself.

Everyone on the internet knows a marine who loved this or that. Still doesn't change the fact it it is crap. Like I said, why would IDPA, FLECT, VSM courses, Todd G, etc etc all ban them? I'd trust all of them over you and your marines :rolleyes:

I registered for a Vicker's class last week, the first thing I was asked was. "what handgun I was planning on running and what holster?" I replied, "a PPQ with a RCS"...to which the instructor said, "ok good, as long as it isn't a serpa or something, you're gtg".

There have been MULTIPLE officer and civilian incidents of people accidently shooting themselves.

USMC adopts Blackhawk SERPA holsters | Military Times GearScout
    SERPA Holsters Banned from FLETC | The Truth About Guns
    Blackhawk SERPA banned at FLETC | Gun Nuts Media

^not a one has a postive thing to say about it.

Do you own one or are you just going from knowledge from the interwebz?

Hello Pot, meet Kettle....

People have shot themselves using all kinds of holsters. It's not just Blackhawks.

I did own one a few years ago and was thoroughly unimpressed. I know how it works, it's undeniable that the retention release is very conducive to accidently actuating the trigger, especially for the untrained individual looking for a cheap holster.

Show me the consistancy of people shooting themselves like has been shown with the serpa?

Last edited:

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Everyone on the internet knows a marine who loved this or that. Still doesn't change the fact it it is crap. Like I said, why would IDPA, FLECT, VSM courses, Todd G, etc etc all ban them? I'd trust all of them over you and your marines :rolleyes:

I registered for a Vicker's class last week, the first thing I was asked was. "what handgun I was planning on running and what holster?" I replied, "a PPQ with a RCS"...to which the instructor said, "ok good, as long as it isn't a serpa or something, you're gtg".

There have been MULTIPLE officer and civilian incidents of people accidently shooting themselves.

USMC adopts Blackhawk SERPA holsters | Military Times GearScout
    SERPA Holsters Banned from FLETC | The Truth About Guns
    Blackhawk SERPA banned at FLETC | Gun Nuts Media

^not a one has a postive thing to say about it.

I did own one a few years ago and was thoroughly unimpressed. I know how it works, it's undeniable that the retention release is very conducive to accidently actuating the trigger, especially for the untrained individual looking for a cheap holster.

Show me the consistancy of people shooting themselves like has been shown with the serpa?

Well then, it's settled. Your "personal experience" and Internet knowledge is 100% correct and everyone else is wrong.

Let's blame the equipment. And while we are at it, triggers seem to cause an inordinate amount of ND's, so let's get rid of them. Preposterous? Yep.

People have ND's because of a rush to get on target and shoot. They happen with every platform and with every type of pistol. Don't believe me?

Check out Bob Munden's holster in this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hujvVmuLuoM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I wonder why he has that piece of steel hanging out the muzzle end?
    Could it be to protect his leg perhaps?

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    So police officers flaunt tax dollars?

Yes. There is a similar debate in LE circles. Do you slap "thin blue line" stickers all over your personal vehicle? Do you put the FOP license plate on your vehicle? So far, incidents of attacks on police officer's personal cars/homes is rare, but it does happen from time to time.

TruxLupus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    I carry mine in a Blackhawk SERPA. I've never been under the impression that it's just the absolute best thing out there, but it serves me well and I like how it draws. Serves my needs just fine. I may upgrade to something better down the road but right now there's just no pressing need.

You can minimize the shortcomings of any type of holster by just practicing your draw. Keep your gun loaded while you do this (and pointed in a safe direction of course!) so the weight and everything will be the same. Muscle memory is key if you get in a tight situation and are unable to keep a calm head. Even if you can stay calm muscle memory can only help.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Two failures in one story. First was the idiot for trying to rob an ARMED person, he is lucky he isn't dead. 2nd is the LOUSY situational awareness of the OCer. Some one approaches me, I change direction, if they continue, I reach for weapon.

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Well then, it's settled. Your "personal experience" and Internet knowledge is 100% correct and everyone else is wrong.

Let's blame the equipment. And while we are at it, triggers seem to cause an inordinate amount of ND's, so let's get rid of them. Preposterous? Yep.

People have ND's because of a rush to get on target and shoot. They happen with every platform and with every type of pistol. Don't believe me?

Check out Bob Munden's holster in this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hujvVmuLuoM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I wonder why he has that piece of steel hanging out the muzzle end?
    Could it be to protect his leg perhaps?

Are you blind or what??? My personal opinion aside...look at ALL the reputable people/instructors who want NOTHING to do with it. I posted some of it right there for you to read! Unreal.

Find me someone respectable that recommends it, bc all you are doing is offering your opinion to refute mine...which is the whole premise of your argument right?

Top Bottom