One LARGE order of S-HOLE coming right up!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    No. It's not. I'm serious. Just say straight up what you're saying. I honestly am not sure.

Generally, if a person Indicates that they are Irish-American, is that reference to heritage, or simply the place they were born?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Generally, if a person Indicates that they are Irish-American, is that reference to heritage, or simply the place they were born?

I've heard people use "Irish-American" as both ways. They were born in Ireland and immigrated here or born here with an Irish background.
    Or a better term I've heard is "Irish-Immigrant-American" if they were born there and got citizenship here. He told me that was the breakdown but first just liked being called an "American" as I'm sure most immigrants do after coming over and going through the citizenship process. They are probably more proud of being an official American then a bunch of liberal whiny Americans that were born here.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    This appears to be avoiding a fairly straitforward question. Perhaps I should ask what do people mean when they refer to themselves as "Anglo." Is that better?

I have rarely known you to ask a straightforward question, to be fair. I'm forever trying to sort through the context of the discussion to figure out exactly what your question is asking.

I don't mean that as a criticism, but just to beg a little patience when you think people are avoiding your questions.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I've heard people use "Irish-American" as both ways. They were born in Ireland and immigrated here or born here with an Irish background.
    Or a better term I've heard is "Irish-Immigrant-American" if they were born there and got citizenship here. He told me that was the breakdown but first just liked being called an "American" as I'm sure most immigrants do after coming over and going through the citizenship process. They are probably more proud of being an official American then a bunch of liberal whiny Americans that were born here.

As have I, that's why I stated "generally." I'm interested to see how many people say they're referencing the place they were born, vs identifying with history and customs of a place they've (most likely) never even set foot in.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I have rarely known you to ask a straightforward question, to be fair. I'm forever trying to sort through the context of the discussion to figure out exactly what your question is asking.

I don't mean that as a criticism, but just to beg a little patience when you think people are avoiding your questions.

So what you are saying is that some don't like when I ask questions that make you think? And when I say "think" most of the time, it's trying to find a way to answer a question without admitting something that supports my premise.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    ....to add....
    I also know a handful of people that immigrated here from different places and they are outright pissed at the illegals that jump the fence and take advantage of all the benefits that the liberals throw at them for a vote. It's not fair for them coming over here legally doing their wait time, studying for the test, learning some English and finally becoming a citizen to legally work and pay their fair share without taking gov handouts.

So what is the political correct term of the wave of fence jumpers ..... "Illegal-Americans"?
    Will they have their own box to check on forms?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    ....to add....
    I also know a handful of people that immigrated here from different places and they are outright pissed at the illegals that jump the fence and take advantage of all the benefits that the liberals throw at them for a vote. It's not fair for them coming over here legally doing their wait time, studying for the test, learning some English and finally becoming a citizen to legally work and pay their fair share without taking gov handouts.

So what is the political correct term of the wave of fence jumpers ..... "Illegal-Americans"?
    Will they have their own box to check on forms?

Lol. Dang DD, how wide do want to expand this conversation?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    So what you are saying is that some don't like when I ask questions that make you think? And when I say "think" most of the time, it's trying to find a way to answer a question without admitting something that supports my premise.

Your inference machine is way out of calibration.

I simply meant I rarely understand exactly the aim of your inquiry. "What kind of car do you drive" is straightforward. "What is the best way to drive" is not. The answer could be "safely", "according to traffic laws", "hands at 10 and 2", or "from the driver's seat". None of those are bad answers, unless you really wanted to know which route to take on a trip.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Your inference machine is out of calibration.

I simply meant I rarely understand exactly the aim of your inquiry. "What kind of car do you drive" is straightforward. "What is the best way to drive" is not. The answer could be "safely", "according to traffic laws", "hands at 10 and 2", or "from the driver's seat". None of those are bad answers, unless you really wanted to know which route to take on a trip.

All of those fall under the umbrella of "safely" do they not? None contradict the other, and there's a general understanding. So all are acceptable answers. So do you want to take a crack at answering the question I posed earlier?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    All of those fall under the umbrella of "safely" do they not? None contradict the other, and there's a general understanding. So all are acceptable answers. So do you want to take a crack at answering the question I posed earlier?

You didn't read the end of my quote, did you? You could put them all under safety. But that doesn't answer the question when someone wants to know what route to take.

So how am I to know what you ask? Clearly asking for clarification isn't how I should know. That just gets me stuck with "stop avoiding the question."

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

I'm quoting this again, just because a statement this ridiculous bears a second look. How could you possibly get that from what I said?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Wouldn't it be simpler for him to just make his case, rather than try to drag us kicking and screaming into an exercise of the Socratic method

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Wouldn't it be simpler for him to just make his case, rather than try to drag us kicking and screaming into an exercise of the Socratic method

I love the Socratic method. But for it to work you need people to understand what you are asking. Make it too convoluted and everyone gets lost in the sauce, squirrels get chased, and you never come back to anything, except a general sense of frustration on all parts. The "Socrates" thinks his questions are being avoided, and the "Athenians" think "Socrates" is trying to change the subject.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    What a pointless load of misdirection this thread has become. Block! Parry! Spin!...what were we talking about?

My original interest was in waiting for the hypocrisy to go on display from those who think anybody who faces persecution should be able to take refuge in America in unlimited numbers. Hypocrisy expected because these people, while undeniably facing the risk of persecution and murder, don't ... fit the usual asylum profile, shall we say. But I only had to wait a couple pages for that, the rest is the draw of the slow motion train wreck

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    nLeO9pR.jpg

Top Bottom