• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warrior

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    I go into the LGS in Muncie (McGalliard Guns & More) looking for a .22 rifle to plink & target shoot with. At that time I wanted to spend around $100 but I was interested in a sales presentation on why I should spend a little more as my budget allowed for more if a compelling reason was offered. A good working used rifle would have been fine. I get helped by a gentleman who is not dressed the same as the others in the store, although I have seen him around them in the store and at gun shows more than once, who tells me a long and confusing tale about his 10-22 with bull barrel that outshoots an Anschutz in competitions. Now at this point in my education a bull barrel and what it does is about as obvious to me as the function of a football bat. The lone 10-22 on display was a basic model for $300.

Story #2 at the same LGS happened after a bought a used Savage-Stevens rifle at a gun show for $150 but now I am looking for a Smith & Wesson M&P Shield. They didn't have one in the case so I inquired when they would get some. One of the clerks, this time I got one dressed in the uniform of the store, informed me they had some on order that would arrive in 10-14 days. I inquired about the price (knowing suggested retail was at that time $449.00) he said it would be $599. I thanked him for his answer and haven't returned. I bought one elsewhere for $459 as I am not opposed to a business making a profit.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Nope. I repeated it, had him unload...and then I helped him find a holster.
    I don't know if he's an INGOer, but I'm fairly certain he's a lurker. Like maybe 90-ish% sure.
    Ish.
    We've interacted before. I've taken a couple guns away from people, but not this guy.

We'll see...
    Rules 1 and 2 bit the dust!

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    1. You can shoot both .45 and .22 out of a Ruger 22/45.
    2. 45LC is for rifles. 45ACP is for handguns. Wouldn't sell me a box of 45LC when I told her that it was for my Blackhawk.
    3. DNR is letting mountain lions loose in (insert county) to help control the deer population. Was actually told it was black panthers in Fulton County, so all you hunters in Rochester need to be extra careful at night.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    at local farm and fleet store that sells firearms

Me: "do you have any lever action .357"
    Clerk: "No, that one's hard to get. way harder than normal .357"
    Me: "No, i mean the rifle"
    Clerk: "yeah, the rifle round."

Still have yet to find one... the rifle or the round :):

Integraholic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    At home
    I'll admit when I don't know something. Even though I work at a store, it doesn't mean I sit down every night and learn about every single gun. The majority I learn is from customers. Typically if someone's coming in for a specific type of firearm, they already know a decent amount about it.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    About five hours ago;

SomeGuy: "I'm looking for a holster for my G30."
    Me: "Lemme go see if we have a G30 in the case. We can open the packages and test fit."
    SomeGuy: "I got mine" (pulls his carry gun, sweeps my guts)
    Me: "Hey! Don't sweep me!"
    SomeGuy: "I won't"
    Me: "Dude! You just did!"
    SomeGuy: "I never keep one in the chamber so it doesn't matter"

After all these years you incorrectly believed somewhere there was a list of 4 gun safety rules written by a famous gun guy. :)

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    My all-time favorite:

I was in a shop in Terre Haute (which is sadly no longer in business) one morning. Two other customers walked in a few minutes apart. One was a right-thinking individual who brought his Remington 700 in .300 Winchester magnum. I don't recall the name applied but it was essentially a magnum-length action version of the Varmint Synthetic (OK, I'm revealing my age somewhat here) with a really nice Leupold scope and a bipod--a really nice rifle. The other guy, well, didn't have the sense God gave a brick and demonstrated it with a flood of stupid questions and comments. He eventually asks customer 1 how many people he's killed with that rifle (seriously there genius?). Customer one gave a reply that was a true classic: "You, if you keep asking stupid questions."

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    #1 "how about a russian mauser" holds up a mosin
    #2 " this right here is made to higher standards and is better quality than the colt on his hip (points to my brothers hip)" holds up a hi point
    #3 "youre not old enough to appreciate this type of gun how about this one" i told him i was old enough to appreciate a good salesmen so i would be shopping elsewhere
    #4 this one really made me mad "if you want an AR join the army you coward"

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    #1 "how about a russian mauser" holds up a mosin
    #2 " this right here is made to higher standards and is better quality than the colt on his hip (points to my brothers hip)" holds up a hi point
    #3 "youre not old enough to appreciate this type of gun how about this one" i told him i was old enough to appreciate a good salesmen so i would be shopping elsewhere
    #4 this one really made me mad "if you want an AR join the army you coward"
    Where do they find these clowns?

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    My reply to #4 was "go F yourself A-hole". I get really hot when someone blames my lack of military service to cowardice when they no nothing about me.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Sometimes I miss working in a LGS and doing shows. Some of this **** is entertaining and some is just a downright painin the ass. Any of you people that do work there, it might behoove you to have a little fun with people's bs and see how deep a hole you can get them to dig themselves (especially in front of others who you are aware know what they are talking about). I would frequently enthusiastically ask people about their bs guns they would talk about or their bs accessories that only "snipers" or "special forces" can get ahold of. If you ask them difficult questions in a manner that makes you seem interested, they will give you some pretty entertaining responses and you will see just how skilled they are in these arts because a point will come in the convo where they are forced to find a reason to leave because they are out-bsed. My brother and I would do this on numerous occasions back in Coldwater, MI. Eventually, they run out of lies.
    I could probably go on for days about stupid **** I have heard at shops and shows. Every group of annoying shoppers has something about them I can manipulate for my own entertainment. The way you get good at this is by experiencing it several times and almost being able to predict what they are going to say/do before they do it. Seriously though, next time you guys are around some serious bs-ers, try doing what I just described. There is no real need to prove whatyou know to these imbeciles. I can spot someone who is actually knowledgeable right away as Im sure a lot of you can. Therefore, the people that know better arent going to question your knowledge if you feign interest until these queers step on their own d!cks. This will work better if you are 1. a woman or 2. younger looking than you are (my particular affliction). Cons see people like this as easy targets.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I went along with a guys BS he went on forever until he realized he was out of lies. His was that the 16ga is the strongest shotgun shell ever made and that only navy seals can get hold of it but he knows a seal and was wable to get some 16ga shells. It was a very interesting and entertaining conversation.

Top Bottom