• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I have an "overland" suspension on my Ram, does that qualify me to post in here? I have probably little else to offer on the topic other than thinking it's pretty cool.

My former brother in law enjoyed taking the logging roads in Canada at 70mph so much last fall in my truck that be bought himself a gorgeous od green Ram Powerwagon shortly after we got back. Not a diesel on 37's like mine but I have a feeling it'll do just fine. Hoping to make another trip up there next month in his Ram this time.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have an "overland" suspension on my Ram, does that qualify me to post in here? I have probably little else to offer on the topic other than thinking it's pretty cool.

My former brother in law enjoyed taking the logging roads in Canada at 70mph so much last fall in my truck that be bought himself a gorgeous od green Ram Powerwagon shortly after we got back. Not a diesel on 37's like mine but I have a feeling it'll do just fine. Hoping to make another trip up there next month in his Ram this time.

I don't know I'd want to do it at 70mph in mine, to my thinking that's more Raptor territory. But if your teeth and spine are cool with it...

Downside to speed with the PW is the nannies reconnect the front anti-sway bar once you top 25mph, IIRC. Somewhere around there, anyway. There are aftermarket defeats that correct that, and let you use the 360 camera at any speed. I haven't been brave enough to tinker with anything in the dash, though, and the thought of leveraging that giant ($$$) screen out to put the magic box behind it makes me Constanza After The Pool just thinking about it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I've been rebuilding this Tocoma all year, it's about ready.
    Tocos are a great choice if you watch the weight and stay fairly mild.
    I think used Taco's might be in more demand. The prices for new ones are insane. I love the looks of the redesign, but no way I'd pay that for a midsize truck.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I think used Taco's might be in more demand. The prices for new ones are insane. I love the looks of the redesign, but no way I'd pay that for a midsize truck.
    I've always kinda felt that way about 1/4 ton trucks like the Ranger, Colorado, etc. They cost nearly as much as a half-ton, sometimes more depending on make and trim package. But they can't do as much as a half-ton and get similar gas mileage. I just don't see the value in them, personally. The design and features of modern trucks are bad-***. But their purchase price sucks-***.

As to off-roading, weight can be a real issue. So too can physical dimensions. In that regard, 1/4 and 1/2 ton trucks tend to be superior. That is one of the reasons I never understood the Power Wagons. They can't quite keep up with a purpose built 3/4 ton for work, and can't quite keep up with a purpose built 1/2 ton off-roader (assuming stock v. stock). They are a neat concept and since I have no real experience in one, perhaps they are more capable than I'm giving them credit for. Plus, they look cool - and I've never been a Ram guy.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've always kinda felt that way about 1/4 ton trucks like the Ranger, Colorado, etc. They cost nearly as much as a half-ton, sometimes more depending on make and trim package. But they can't do as much as a half-ton and get similar gas mileage. I just don't see the value in them, personally. The design and features of modern trucks are bad-***. But their purchase price sucks-***.

As to off-roading, weight can be a real issue. So too can physical dimensions. In that regard, 1/4 and 1/2 ton trucks tend to be superior. That is one of the reasons I never understood the Power Wagons. They can't quite keep up with a purpose built 3/4 ton for work, and can't quite keep up with a purpose built 1/2 ton off-roader (assuming stock v. stock). They are a neat concept and since I have no real experience in one, perhaps they are more capable than I'm giving them credit for. Plus, they look cool - and I've never been a Ram guy.

PW splits the difference between the 1/2 ton and the 3/4 ton. It's a very smooth ride for a 3/4 ton since it's sprung softer, more flex in the radius arms, etc. Then it has all the Jeep Rubicon style goodies, front and rear lockers, disconnecting front sway bar, factory wench. Solid front axle vs IFS. I like it because it's something I can drive to Texas or Utah and not want to stab my eyes out on the trip but can still do the sort of off road stuff I want to do when I get there. I could almost certainly do all the same things in a less capable vehicle, but since I'm alone the extra robustness and capability provide a buffer that I prefer.

There's only one half ton with a front locker available that I'm aware of, the Silverado ZR2. The skid plate package is nowhere near as robust on the Silverado, and the transfer case is weaker.

But, yes, it's a trail whale.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    When I bought my 1/2 ton truck we were looking at Tacos and Colorado's mostly. I had actually decided on a Colorado Zr2, because I'm a little too tall and a little too wide for comfort in a Taco. Got to the dealer. Almost bought a Black Zr2. Then I saw the truck I ended up getting. A Silverado. They had some incentives on the Silverado that made it a little more than the Zr2. Drove home with it.

When I first bought the Silverado it had the Z71 pkg. I had aspirations of taking it off road. I used to have a '96 Jeep XJ. Loved that thing. Should have kept it. Whatever. Anyway let's just say the Silverado doesn't see much dirt.

I think the PW is a good overland rig. But still I think there's a lot of places it can't go. At least not without significant body damage risk.

When we had to replace my wife's car we got a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Now that's fun. I'm not really into overlanding. Not into hard core rock crawling either. I just like to go places I couldn't go on road.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    That's funny. I haven't heard that term before. The PW sounds like a nice ride for a "tweener".
    That's what the guys in Iron Horse 4x4s used to call my old F250...

I would always pull everybody out being the biggest strongest truck, but being the heaviest (the trail whale) sucks when you break through the ice in the dead of winter...

broke through 3.jpg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    When I bought my 1/2 ton truck we were looking at Tacos and Colorado's mostly. I had actually decided on a Colorado Zr2, because I'm a little too tall and a little too wide for comfort in a Taco.

I posted my thought process during my search, as you probably recall, and was very interested in mid-size trucks. I just couldn't find one that was both comfortable and capable. I still think of the Ranger Raptor had been available I may have went that way, but in the end I'm glad I went with the PW. The few times a year I do "real truck stuff" the 6.5' bed is welcome. The only downside I deal with is parking can be a bit more challenging. When I rent a Wrangler I'm always impressed with just how agile and maneuverable the little fellow is in tight parking lots, garages, etc.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    My wife’s 3.0 Duramax makes 460 ft pounds of torque at 1250 rpm.
    I got 31 MPG coming back from Terre Haute.
    My M1009 6.2 makes 190 ft pounds(unless somehow it digests some propane) and gets 32 mpg :)
    Well until I put 33s on it...now it get 5mpg.

My f150 running 33s....sigh. It is underpowered as well. It may get an upgrade soon. I do not care at all for the crap engine it has. I only purchased it to play with so no real loss. Dropping in a new engine is on the list though.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I don't know I'd want to do it at 70mph in mine, to my thinking that's more Raptor territory. But if your teeth and spine are cool with it...

Downside to speed with the PW is the nannies reconnect the front anti-sway bar once you top 25mph, IIRC. Somewhere around there, anyway. There are aftermarket defeats that correct that, and let you use the 360 camera at any speed. I haven't been brave enough to tinker with anything in the dash, though, and the thought of leveraging that giant ($$$) screen out to put the magic box behind it makes me Constanza After The Pool just thinking about it.
    I wouldn't have done it if it were beating the truck to death. I bought this truck intending it to be the last one I ever buy and I treat it accordingly. I've been taking this trip to Canada most years since around 2002 and there's usually 6-8 of us going. Over the years we've taken about every make and model of pickup you can imagine up there. The only thing they've almost all had in common was they were rolling on standard suspensions and wheel/tire combos.

Usually the logging road/final leg of the trip up is 3+ hours at 40-50mph to keep things comfortable. Last fall when we took my truck up we were averaging 60-70mph through most of it with ease. Little bit of drifting around some of the curves and what not but where's the harm in that? :cool:. Canada's speed limits are so ridiculously slow you gotta make up some time where you can and the RCMP doesn't patrol the gravel logging roads nearly as much as they do the paved roads.

We were both very surprised at how much of a difference a larger diameter tire made on that trip. There are trade offs without a doubt but in that specific instance (and highway travel) the 37s have been great.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I wouldn't have done it if it were beating the truck to death.

I wasn't talking about the truck being beat to death, more so the occupants should I do that in my truck. The truck will take way more punishment than I'm willing to these days. I suppose it depends on how smooth the gravel road is, though.

Tires and airing down are definitely the biggest differentiator. I'll probably go with 35" to keep the balance between long haul highway miles and offroad. Raptor is still the best for high speed on rough terrain, though, IMO.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I wasn't talking about the truck being beat to death, more so the occupants should I do that in my truck. The truck will take way more punishment than I'm willing to these days. I suppose it depends on how smooth the gravel road is, though.

Tires and airing down are definitely the biggest differentiator. I'll probably go with 35" to keep the balance between long haul highway miles and offroad. Raptor is still the best for high speed on rough terrain, though, IMO.
    I'm sure a Raptor is far superior to the solid axles at speeds. That said, the Thuren suspension I installed was a huge improvement over stock. Had to add air bags in the rear for load leveling but that's pretty much a given with coils in the rear.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm sure a Raptor is far superior to the solid axles at speeds. That said, the Thuren suspension I installed was a huge improvement over stock. Had to add air bags in the rear for load leveling but that's pretty much a given with coils in the rear.

I've heard good things about Thuren for sure. Been kicking around the rear track bar for awhile, but don't plan to redo the whole suspension. Stock PW is a good mix of capabilities for me. Probably a track bar to settle the rear geometry a bit more and softer 35" will be my sweet spot.

Are you using jerry cans, and if so how are you mounting them?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've heard good things about Thuren for sure. Been kicking around the rear track bar for awhile, but don't plan to redo the whole suspension. Stock PW is a good mix of capabilities for me. Probably a track bar to settle the rear geometry a bit more and softer 35" will be my sweet spot.

Are you using jerry cans, and if so how are you mounting them?
    No, I haven't/don't plan to tread far enough out there to need any. My truck only sees mild offroad use around my property or out hunting. I did some research after I bought my truck back in 18 and Thuren offered the height and the improved ride quality I was looking for. I was very pleased with their kit and the install was pretty easy for a non mechanic type.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    My M1009 6.2 makes 190 ft pounds(unless somehow it digests some propane) and gets 32 mpg :)
    Well until I put 33s on it...now it get 5mpg.

My f150 running 33s....sigh. It is underpowered as well. It may get an upgrade soon. I do not care at all for the crap engine it has. I only purchased it to play with so no real loss. Dropping in a new engine is on the list though.
    The M1009 was a huge improvement over the M880 Dodge the Dodge did not have power steering.

I have a Jeep Rubicon for hard core off roading/overland stuff. You guys need to hit the LBL it’s fun.

My old junk hauling 2001 Tundra is actually great off road the small V8 has surprisingly good power.

The wife’s 2022 1/2 Silverado Z71 has all the good stuff on it. But that’s my wife’s she would get mad if I tore off a running board.

Top Bottom