• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Anybody went and played here? Seems full size truck friendly.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Anybody went and played here? Seems full size truck friendly.
    Looks like a fun place. Wish it were closer to Silver Lake. It could be a whole vacation. Instead it’s two separate outings.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I bought a weekend pass. I'll leave early Friday, tent camp Friday night and check things out for those 2 days. I got locked out of the email address I used to register though so if I don't get that fixed Thursday I'll have to call them like an old man that can't figure out tech.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I bought a weekend pass. I'll leave early Friday, tent camp Friday night and check things out for those 2 days.
    Man I'm kinda jealous. Glaciers gonna be cool but this sounds fun too. Maybe next year.
    I got locked out of the email address I used to register though so if I don't get that fixed Thursday I'll have to call them like an old man that can't figure out tech.
    Well, I mean...

If you hustle we can figure out a way to put the rtt on your car. Then you can be that guy that starts the whole "can I do this trail on 28's with no lift" conversation.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Man I'm kinda jealous. Glaciers gonna be cool but this sounds fun too. Maybe next year.

Well, I mean...

If you hustle we can figure out a way to put the rtt on your car. Then you can be that guy that starts the whole "can I do this trail on 28's with no lift" conversation.
    I've seriously considered making a fake snorkel for the corolla just for these types of events.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield

Well, I mean...

OMG! I am an old man! I swear I hit the laughing smiley not the love one. Maybe adventure days are not for me.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Is there a running AMC Eagle left in the US?
    You, sir, need to discover this rabbit hole…

About 10 sold in the last 2 years here.
    Here’s a link to the group…

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I had to Google that. That would be much cooler than the tactical desert tan Toyota Corolla.
    But the Corolla will start and run.

AMC eagles were not known to be the most reliable transportation but they were better than lots of 1980's cars. The Chevy citation for example.

I know an old school mate that overlands a 300d Mercedes. He has had that thing in the family since new and it took the gang to many a Grateful Dead show back in the 1980's-1995. I know that car has to have 400k miles by now.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    ok I like the new setup.

how tall are you. In under 5’10 look at pulling the back seat and the rear back seat panel. A sheet of ply cut. Now you have a sleeping platform and a cooler and clothing box platform.plus you don’t need more than one person (preferably a canine) to go with you anyway.

a good tent, a sleeping pad, a cooler a sleeping bag or blanket and a couple of tarp a bag of stakes goes a long way. Almost all of the land between the lakes is good to go in a Corolla and some nice areas to there with resupply easy just outside the middle island.

old school equipment in spring is hard to find cheap but it is basically not needed in spring and summer. As soon as the first frost people move the stuff at bargain prices. Now that you know what you are looking for and watching other setups in the wild (not at the summit) you will find stuff to get at good prices. Just have to be patient.

i came from a backpacking/canoe camp background so over the years inherited hand me downs and this is not my thing gear and bought stuff. You do not need most of the stuff you just saw. Want maybe need no.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    ok I like the new setup.

how tall are you. In under 5’10 look at pulling the back seat and the rear back seat panel. A sheet of ply cut. Now you have a sleeping platform and a cooler and clothing box platform.plus you don’t need more than one person (preferably a canine) to go with you anyway.

a good tent, a sleeping pad, a cooler a sleeping bag or blanket and a couple of tarp a bag of stakes goes a long way. Almost all of the land between the lakes is good to go in a Corolla and some nice areas to there with resupply easy just outside the middle island.

old school equipment in spring is hard to find cheap but it is basically not needed in spring and summer. As soon as the first frost people move the stuff at bargain prices. Now that you know what you are looking for and watching other setups in the wild (not at the summit) you will find stuff to get at good prices. Just have to be patient.

i came from a backpacking/canoe camp background so over the years inherited hand me downs and this is not my thing gear and bought stuff. You do not need most of the stuff you just saw. Want maybe need no.
    All good info. I come from an outdoor tripping background too. Hiking, canoe, or biking trips, some but much less camp in one place type outings, but wasn't aware of the using your vehicle option until #ditcherman introduced me to it.
    From a non-vacation standpoint, with Revere's Riders, I do find myself wanting to camp just overnight to save paying for hotel on occasion. I've thought about rigging my Corolla to be able to sleep inside, just never seriously sat and thought it through. More of a practical, than overlanding logic though. Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I've had a passenger in the back seat. Hmmm.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    All good info. I come from an outdoor tripping background too. Hiking, canoe, or biking trips, some but much less camp in one place type outings, but wasn't aware of the using your vehicle option until #ditcherman introduced me to it.
    From a non-vacation standpoint, with Revere's Riders, I do find myself wanting to camp just overnight to save paying for hotel on occasion. I've thought about rigging my Corolla to be able to sleep inside, just never seriously sat and thought it through. More of a practical, than overlanding logic though. Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I've had a passenger in the back seat. Hmmm.
    My sawzall and cutting wheels are at the ready.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    ok I like the new setup.

That cant be right!
    You need all that stuff! Especially the skottle! You have to have the skottle!IMG_0385.jpeg

Ok, sarcasm over, in my perfect world this rig would just be home away from home in between backpacking outings.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Rooftop tent all canvas with the fold out floor that becomes the top when you drive with it. They are cheaper and they do work. What the do very well is flap in the wind. If you are used to sleeping in a nice backpacker tent with a dome shape that shape sheds the wind well Then the constant flap flap flap of the canvas is annoying and I seem to pick the times to camp and places to camp that the wind is always howling.

IF I was looking into truck camping (not happening with current prices and all the dual cabs and no truck bed space) setup I think something like the anti-shanty dwell shell would be my setup., most likely not the anti shanty but something like it cause I believe they run over 13 k and that is to much overland tax. It would allow some regular truck bed use and still be a nice camp setup. I guess when I hit the winner lotto ticket I will have a couple rigs.

I have an FJ and I want to still canoe. I think my personal setup is the OZTENT and some side flaps to make it encompass the rear of the FJ and most likely still sleep in the small deck of the FJ.I have always been a fan of the baker style tents. I had a chance long ago when the surplus guy was still in Bloomington to get a surplus armored vehicle shelter from England. I think they were like 300 and he had many. Now you can not find one for any price. Same type setup.

OZTENT you can setup that tent in 30 seconds if raining and ten minutes for full deploy and pickup. I can drive the FJ still without camp breakdown say to make a beer run. I can use my little wood stove with it in cold weather. Looks old school which I think is great once you see those guys driving 100k rigs with 75 k of toys attached.

my main things are sight seeing, fishing and hunting. I find an area and explore from there. So I don’t drive all day sleep drive rocks trails all day sleep. I find lake setup fish drink sleep. Fish or move to find fish and sleep. It is all I what you want it to look like and how you use it. Right now my tent I think I purchased in 1995 and it still works like a champ.

Top Bottom