• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tonto

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2024
    Madison
    So I've been going over it in my head quite a bit, I really want an AK-47. I scratched my itch faintly by getting a 9 mm carbine, it was a Hi-Point 995 TS- and I love the thing. That was about 2 months ago and I figured that would stop me from wanting to go did the gun store and pick up something more serious and badass. I've seen a couple AKs for around 450 here at my local gun store and I'm damn near a fuzz hair away from going on ahead and buying it because I'm afraid prices will go up. I don't know much about the different types, as far as US made etc but honestly from what I've heard and seen about AKs you can't really go wrong. In my opinion 762 or 556 wouldn't bother me either way but I've never shot anything other than a 762 that someone let me shoot at the range. I really fell in love with the AK then, That's why I'm more leaning that way. But I love any type of semi-automatic rifle a packs of punch. I'm just in that mindset where if Trump loses this ****ing election or ****ed so I'd like to get it now while the getting's good. Any personal experience and opinions welcome

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    What kind are you seeing for $450?
    The only US made that is liked by some, but disliked by a lot is the newer PSA AKs.
    If I was going to buy something, this would be the cheapest one.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    While I have AKs of both 7.62x39 and 5.56x45, the 7.62x39 has one big thing going for it, all surplus mags are built to the same standards, so an Egyptian mag will fit a Chinese rifle, will fit a Romanian... etc. The 5.56/.223 is different, where each manufacturer has their own mag. Sometimes you can get one to work in another, but not so easy.

Agree with Expat, the WASR-10 would be a great choice for a first AK variant since it is factory made to AT and unconstitutional F standards, and then converted in the land of shall not be infringed to accept standard AK mags.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    While I have AKs of both 7.62x39 and 5.56x45, the 7.62x39 has one big thing going for it, all surplus mags are built to the same standards, so an Egyptian mag will fit a Chinese rifle, will fit a Romanian... etc. The 5.56/.223 is different, where each manufacturer has their own mag. Sometimes you can get one to work in another, but not so easy.

Agree with Expat, the WASR-10 would be a great choice for a first AK variant since it is factory made to AT and unconstitutional F standards, and then converted in the land of shall not be infringed to accept standard AK mags.
    Well... not quite. The Croatian mags that were being sold by a lot of places don't fit an Egyptian Maadi without modification. At least they wouldn't fit mine. Wouldn't lock in place.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    I don't have much experience with AKs, but one piece of advice given to me is check the trunnion and bolt. Milled or forged is far better than cast. Cast will likely deform over time making the gun unsafe to shoot, though I doubt it will happen after several hundred rounds like some AK elitists will say.

Another thing to consider is ARs are way easier to do work on. AKs require a little more intensive gunsmithing to install certain modifications. Lower work for an AR for example only needs an armorer's wrench, a punch set, and a vice grip with vice block. You can do the work without the vice grip, though it won't be as convenient. That is versus a friend of mine who wanted to put a scope rail on his AK, and he had to drill out a rivet and pop in another rivet in a different position.

Also the days of cheap 7.62x39 are looking bad after the ammo ban and all the BS going on in Eastern Europe.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    So I've been going over it in my head quite a bit, I really want an AK-47. I scratched my itch faintly by getting a 9 mm carbine, it was a Hi-Point 995 TS- and I love the thing. That was about 2 months ago and I figured that would stop me from wanting to go did the gun store and pick up something more serious and badass. I've seen a couple AKs for around 450 here at my local gun store and I'm damn near a fuzz hair away from going on ahead and buying it because I'm afraid prices will go up. I don't know much about the different types, as far as US made etc but honestly from what I've heard and seen about AKs you can't really go wrong. In my opinion 762 or 556 wouldn't bother me either way but I've never shot anything other than a 762 that someone let me shoot at the range. I really fell in love with the AK then, That's why I'm more leaning that way. But I love any type of semi-automatic rifle a packs of punch. I'm just in that mindset where if Trump loses this ****ing election or ****ed so I'd like to get it now while the getting's good. Any personal experience and opinions welcome
    You don't want an AK from your LGS that sells for $450

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    What kind are you seeing for $450?
    The only US made that is liked by some, but disliked by a lot is the newer PSA AKs.
    If I was going to buy something, this would be the cheapest one.

Dack just had Zastava M70 for $880. The WASR is fine. OP should wait for a used WASR to come up for $600-700

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    If you really want an AK that will last forever, try looking for a Maadi. I know there are many others that are mechanically awesome, but Maadi's are so recognizable...good luck finding one, and you sure as all get out won't find one for anywhere even close to $450. As others have mentioned, if it's priced around that number, don't buy it--it's probably junk.

If you think you want to get into the addiction of modifying/upgrading a rifle then you definitely want an AR platform. If you don't care about mods but just want one that goes bang every time you need it to, find a good AK.

While I'm at it, if you want one that's going to be really accurate, don't get your hopes up about AK's--they're not meant for precision like the AR's (by and large) are. Conversely, AK's don't seem to care what bullets you feed them, while AR's can get fairly picky (depends on how much accuracy and which make/model) about bullet weights, brands, etc, etc.

If you want to go outside these boxes, you might think about IWI's Tavor line. Bullpup configuration really is kind of an acquired taste, but IWI builds some really awesome stuff. Ain't cheap, but pretty awesome. Kind of between AK and AR for modifying--the X95 can be played with somewhat (still nowhere close to AR modifications), while the original SAR is (mostly) a kind of as-is type of rifle--aftermarket trigger packs to reduce trigger pull, maybe some different furniture for hand guards, but not much else is easily/cheaply modded compared to AR's that you can change almost anything with aftermarket stuff.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If you really want an AK that will last forever, try looking for a Maadi. I know there are many others that are mechanically awesome, but Maadi's are so recognizable...good luck finding one, and you sure as all get out won't find one for anywhere even close to $450.
    Good to know! I did have @vitamink install a Red Star adjustable trigger at the first and only INGO AK build party that I attended shortly after I first joined. He was very gracious, despite sustaining an injury (or two) and I think he actually enjoyed it!

1726526547391.jpeg

This is the before pic.

1726527027669.jpeg

eric001

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Though modified by the guy I bought mine from years and years ago, mine still has all its internal parts as original...
    I really like the replacement cover that has the integral rail on it. I still have the original wood stock around somewhere that matches the other wood... I just like the aftermarket one better.

Must be a later Maadi, as it is stamped steel and not milled. Still, it's as reliable as can be. Eats anything and never has given me any problems.

Used to think it was the cat's meow until I got my Tavor SAR--even easier to break down/reassemble, and way more accurate.

20240916_190814~2.jpg

eric001

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Good to know! I did have @vitamink install a Red Star adjustable trigger at the first and only INGO AK build party that I attended shortly after I first joined. He was very gracious, despite sustaining an injury (or two) and I think he actually enjoyed it!

View attachment 380629

This is the before pic.

View attachment 380630
    Have to admit, I REALLY like the "after" pic of yours. Love that wood finish, and the grip looks more comfy than what's on mine.

Obviously, I forgot to include this in my last post. Been a long day.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    AK-47...is gun...it shoots...
    After this weekend where the latest attempted assassination attempt with the potential shooter using an AK...prices might jump high.....Seems to happen after every stupidity involving semi-auto rifles....

Top Bottom