• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I was able to assemble the lower on Sunday and get everything together. Went with a 18" .223 Wylde stainless 516R barrel, BCI upper, ALG EMR gray 15" handguard, Harris bipod, Geissele G2S-E trigger, Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x40 and mount (from A&A Optics), Spike's LPK, Strike Industries forward assist and ejection port dust cover, Anderson BCG, Precision Armament M4-72 compensator... That's the most of it, which brings me to the Magpul stock and pistol grip. They are Magpul gray which I had hoped would be a closer match for the EMR gray than they are. I had seen a picture online of the two side by side and they didn't look too bad, but they're not very close in real life.

Brings me to my question... I'm now looking into B5, MFT, and BCM stocks and grips in gray. Does anyone have any of the gray furniture from one of these manufacturers that may be able to shed some light on which may be the best match? I don't mind buying them as I'm sure I can sell or just keep the Magpul for a future build, but I'd like to only buy one more set, and I'd like it to be fairly close although I'm not really a diva about it (I don't think, at least). I haven't had much luck finding pics of the gray ALG rail next to any of the above online with the exception of one picture with B5 furniture and the ALG which looks pretty good, but I haven't found any of the other colors compared to the ALG.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Here are a few pics of my rifle and then the one I found on the Internet with MFT furniture and gray ALG hand-guard

Last edited:

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Good looking build, scottka.
    I'm curious .... what is the twist-rate of your barrel, and why did you choose it ?

Nice photo of yours, RustyHornet. <thumbsup>

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Good looking build, scottka.
    I'm curious .... what is the twist-rate of your barrel, and why did you choose it ?

Thanks! I went with 1:8 twist mainly because I didn't want to have to make the decision of 1:7 vs 1:9 so I split the middle. My other AR is 1:8 and although I pretty well exclusively use 55gr in it, I've been more than pleased with it, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it, I suppose. Figured the 1:8 left me the most options for plinker ammo and heavier target loads both.

Last edited:

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Thanks! I went with 1:8 twist mainly because I didn't want to have to make the decision of 1:7 vs 1:9 so I split the middle. My other AR is 1:8 and although I pretty well exclusively use 55gr in it, I've been more than pleased with it, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it, I suppose. Figured the 1:8 left me the most options for linked ammo and heavier target loads both.

Solid reasoning .... thanks for your response. :)

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Picked up ours a this afternoon as well. Paperwork was approved in just a couple minutes. #93 & 94. Also picked up 5K CCI #500 SPP, a pound of HP-38 to try out, and 1K of Extreme 124 HP. Excellent shop with lots of reloading components to offer, we will be back.

The pictures on here look nice, but they in no way do justice to the quality of the finish in person. Extremely pleased. Next comes a LPK and a Hahn 9mm adapter.

Hers will be a 9mm pistol and mine will end up being a 300 pistol, possible SBR in the future for both of them.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I muscled my way through most of the lower tonight. I had to stop at the grip screw. I'm going to need to tap the threads. I struggled with it long enough and needed to walk away.

Things haven't been going together easily, but so far I haven't destroyed the finish. So i got that going for me.

Top Bottom