• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    How does the wind affect you? If you can get out of it you will. I think deer feel the same way. Do I think they stop moving? Absolutely not. There are plenty of bottoms and protected wooded areas where the wind is minimal. Will wind stop me from hunting? No!

jstiz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Greensburg
    Good Year!

My dad and I haven't been out hunting together for over 8 years. This year was our year back at it and we had a very good year at that! First pic is Dad with his 9pt buck. He shot it at 50 yards with his 44 mag revolver. Deer dropped after 10 yards, perfect shot. Next pic is me with my 6pt. I shot him at 75 yards. I saw how wide the rack was and got excited and took the shot. I could have probably waited another year on him but regardless 2 deer in the freezer!

photo 3.jpg
    photo 4.jpg

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Strong winds (over 15mph) will make the deer either lay up to wait it out or move them to areas they know are protected. I've seen some big bucks in strong winds, either checking for does or moving to a bottom area. I hunt accordingly. See picture of my daughter a few posts before for the results. The DAY AFTER a windy day/night can be super.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Strong winds (over 15mph) will make the deer either lay up to wait it out or move them to areas they know are protected. I've seen some big bucks in strong winds, either checking for does or moving to a bottom area. I hunt accordingly. See picture of my daughter a few posts before for the results. The DAY AFTER a windy day/night can be super.

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I will plan to go out in the morning then. I missed out on three does and am a little disappointed because they were some nice-sized ones. I was totally in the wrong position and they seemed a little skittish about something opposite of where I was sitting. I'll see if I can get them over the next couple of days. :-)

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Or, put another way. "You can't win the pot if you ain't there for the draw" Hunt when you can. A coyote, dog, falling limb -anything -can push a deer to you.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    My dad and I haven't been out hunting together for over 8 years. This year was our year back at it and we had a very good year at that! First pic is Dad with his 9pt buck. He shot it at 50 yards with his 44 mag revolver. Deer dropped after 10 yards, perfect shot. Next pic is me with my 6pt. I shot him at 75 yards. I saw how wide the rack was and got excited and took the shot. I could have probably waited another year on him but regardless 2 deer in the freezer!

View attachment 33460
    View attachment 33459

Always great to hunt with family! Both of you made some nice kills. That 6 is WIDE man...holy cow! Some good genes in your area for sure. I saw a little 6 the other night that was about as wide as that guys ears! :)

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    After sitting with me a couple times, my wife is going out to hunt for her first time tomorrow morning :)

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    How does wind this strong affect movement?

I toughed it out for 3 hours this morning, first chance to hunt this year (work commitments). The bottoms I hunt flooded, I over-topped my boots walking in so it was destined to be a short morning and I was too chilled to continue by 9:30. No deer in the open harvested soybean fields I was hunting. Despite the wind, there was a herd of does across the over-the-banks creek in standing corn stubble, the only real food source nearby.

Long and short, deer still need to eat. Wind may keep some action down but not stop it in core areas. Only problem for me was I hunt on permission I am grateful to have, and the deer were over where the property owner had reserved for himself on this day. No complaints, I'm glad to have the opportunity where I was.

But I will be out again tomorrow, hoping there is more movement as a result of today's nasty conditions....and that the water has gone down somewhat.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I took my wife once.she wanted to take a snack and was packing pretzels. I said no! A quiet snack. So later we are in the blind and she peels a banana. I said no it smells! She ate it and I buried the peel. I said open your mouth. She said why? I held up a bottle of raccoon **** and said I'm going to mask your banana breath. She learned a lesson that day! The next afternoon she killed her first big doe with a .54 caliber muzzleloader. Very cool!! She cried, I laughed.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    How does wind this strong affect movement?

I personally would say that wind causes deer to not move as well. I always assumed they could not hear predators as well so they would bed up. from my experience I don't tend to see as many in the wind.

I did read a article on mossyoak.com once that stated they had done a 20 year study with merging hunting reports and that days national weather service information. They found most kills were done in cold, sunny/clear days with high wind...with the cold and wind causing deer to move for warmth and the sun giving them confidence because they see better in bright conditions.

So who knows..

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    LOL. I could see her crying. Could see you laughing cause she was crying too. Shot a lot of deer while smoking, cooking lunch in the blind, etc. It's all about wind direction.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    I toughed it out for 3 hours this morning, first chance to hunt this year (work commitments). The bottoms I hunt flooded, I over-topped my boots walking in so it was destined to be a short morning and I was too chilled to continue by 9:30. No deer in the open harvested soybean fields I was hunting. Despite the wind, there was a herd of does across the over-the-banks creek in standing corn stubble, the only real food source nearby.

Long and short, deer still need to eat. Wind may keep some action down but not stop it in core areas. Only problem for me was I hunt on permission I am grateful to have, and the deer were over where the property owner had reserved for himself on this day. No complaints, I'm glad to have the opportunity where I was.

But I will be out again tomorrow, hoping there is more movement as a result of today's nasty conditions....and that the water has gone down somewhat.

Second time was the charm. Nothing moving so set to stillhunting the ditches. A nice group of 7 does was bedded down on the ditch 500 yards away from the one I was on, got up and headed for mine. Their closest approach point before they got into some trees was 300 yards; by the time they got there I had picked out the biggest one and dialed the scope on my 358 WSM up for the range. This was the first deer for the gun, and it performed well. The 225gr Accubond shredded both lungs and left a nice exit.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    We went out yesterday morning for a few hours. Didn't see any movement. I checked our trail cameras in both sets of woods we hunt. There hasn't been any deer movement in front of them in the last week. The week before that, it was almost continuous. I'm guessing in this area, the rut has slowed down big time.

Top Bottom