• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We're about 30' up in that set. We didn't have much choice in that spot, there isn't much cover until you get way up there. I'm using a shotgun mic on the camera and it seems to work really well.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I've seen two really great rubs on the 60 acre urban tract I hunt and three light scrapes have just shown up. I would post a pic of the rubs but have never been able to figure out how to move pics from phone or camera to this site. Please don't tell me how easy it is - I'm old and a slow learner.

On a separate but related subject a question :

I have accumlated a number of partially used bottles of deer scent over the years. i.e. doe in heat, buck in rut, etc. The oldest bottle I marked was from 2010. Opinions on whether folks think the contents of the bottles retain their effectiveness - or is there a "shelf life" ? I hate to throw this stuff out since it's not cheap but I also don't want to put out a scent that is either no longer enticing or, at worst, downright offensive to deer scent checking scrapes or following a scent trail I lay down. Some of it I got from Hoosier Trapper and other bottles are more nationally known "brands."

Would like to hear thoughts - preferably from real life experience

Thanks in advance

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    We're about 30' up in that set. We didn't have much choice in that spot, there isn't much cover until you get way up there. I'm using a shotgun mic on the camera and it seems to work really well.

Phylo doggie: Damn, 30 foot tree stand height ? ! ! ! For me that is nose bleed altitude ! When I get up 20 feet my knees start to shake. I realize higher is better but suffice to say if I had to go 30 feet up it better be one Helluva stand location with multiple crossing trails, food source, and a hot doe tied to a stake !

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm not fond of being that high either but we do wear out harnesses without fail and that buck came in the first morning of the first day we hunted it so I'd say its worth it!

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    I like it up high keeps your scent up better and carries it away better, Im up about 25" to 28" in most of my stands except my ladder stands and they are only 20" ... Congrats to you guys... Also where is this video you all are talking about ???? Would love to see it...

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    click on that little "broken picture" icon in his thread. Not sure why it didn't post for him.

[video]http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv63/phylodog/Gregs%202014%20Buck_zpsccaelwso.mp4[/video]

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We had a fork horn wander past this morning but that was it. Farmer is out cutting corn today so we're gonna wait and see which fields will get cut before choosing a stand for this afternoon. I thought we'd see more movement this morning for sure.

JMWetzel89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Couldn't hunt this morning because of work, just got in the stand at 12:30 hopefully I'll see something tonight I figured this would be the best day yet except for the wind

ajb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I got my buck last Monday. I almost didn't go out because it was going to be so warm. It's a 9 point weighed 243 pounds, my heaviest deer ever.

DSC01113.JPG

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    saw more deer in one sit tonight than I ever have before. Had probably 10-11 does around and a little forker buck running up and down the road checking the scrape in front of me. He must have come by it 3 times. He kept chasing the does around and I never did get a clear shot at one. The one that offered me a chance was about 12 yards away but looking back in my direction at the buck when he was under me and I never could get the bow drawn.

I'll be back there in the morning looking to fling an arrow.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    With my kid's health issues, I went to the woods with a headache and heavy heart. Thought I saw a deer by the creek, wasn't sure. About a half hour later a small 8 busts out and stops by the other stand ( which would have been a 10 yarder). No way i can snake anything through to the 30 yarder he offers for 3 seconds. Then off he trots. 15 mins later out spooks a doe, charges across the field and into our little thicket- figured the buck must have spooked her.

But he didn't follow. Maybe he's down (hunting bud shot at it). I dunno, she popped out 400 yards away.

Moves in and starts going to where the first possible sighting was of the eve. Spooks and comes back to where the buck stopped briefly. I tell myself if I get a 25 yarder I'll smoke it. Freezing in the wind, it just sits there..............moves a little and back. Finally after 30 mins I see that it has not buttons, but small spikes. Hmmm, will it go 3" or not? I'm pretty darn cold, lack of sleep is killing me.

It then changes direction and indeed, stops at 25. I draw the 60# Blackwidow and the bow feels totally awkward. Arrow moves out a bit from the Velcro, so I twist it back. Hit anchor...........still feels like I've never done this before, all mechanical, no fluidity. The arrow is lined up for 25 yard drop automatcially.......and I'm like "no big deal" and WHAM! The deer is down.

WTH? Did I screw up and spine shoot it? It flops, arrow looks way lower. Laying on it's side, shaft up (looks like crap penetration).........it raises it's head, bleats and lays down, and is dead.

Man that was quick.

Location: Double lung with BH stuck in op shoulder. I had to tug 3 times to get the arrow out. Luckily it came free with the BH still attached (ferrule bent- cleaned and tossed into "Blackwidow coffee cup o' death").

Now............I measured the longest spike. Hmmmm, really close to 3" up the middle, if high side it's well under. I'm gonna let the check in station make the call. That way I can't be accused of anything.

ikazyJ5.jpg

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Time to clean up and crash. Pop the "used" arrow out of the quiver and slap in a backup bullet (got a big 2 blade Calmont with a yote's name on it).

Good luck tomorrow!

Last edited:

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Time to clean up and crash. Pop the "used" arrow out of the quiver and slap in a backup bullet (got a big 2 blade Calmont with a yote's name on it).

Good luck tomorrow!

Congrats Hookeye on your deer, Im sure you would of liked a bigger buck.... But now take some time for your young'n..... Hope all gets better with'm and prayers sent your way for your child Bro..... Get some rest Im sure you need it...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Thanks Yote. "Rest" what is this thing you speak of? 2 hrs sleep and back at it.........cuz better zip something this time LOL. Dunno what they'll call the deer I shot, so I'm stuck hunting does this morning (check in the other one after hunting). Breakfast will include a large Mountain Dew of some sort ;)

As I type this my 177" gross gun kill is sitting on the dining room table, trying to figure out where we're gonna hang it.

Yup, like big bucks..............but my current spot sucks for that. Chances are I did nothing to nix a P&Y chance this year. Figure the check in has a 50/50 call on the Widow kill. Was a cool shot, first knock down that wasn't a spine shot w a bow. Have no idea how slow that arrow is..........but it weighs 540 grains and has an FOC of over 20% :)

Kid had some episodes last night but less than day before........got out and had some fun w mom last eve. So yeah, was halfway decent.
    Thanks again for the prayers. She wanted to go on the deer recovery.....maybe next yr.

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Great deer with the trad equipment, hookeye! I've been shooting recurves for twenty years, but have only taken deer using "training wheels". Currently nearing the end of my year long wait on a new kohannah kurve. Was quoted eight months, but am days away from a year. Love the black widows too.

Top Bottom