• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Great deer with the trad equipment, hookeye! I've been shooting recurves for twenty years, but have only taken deer using "training wheels". Currently nearing the end of my year long wait on a new kohannah kurve. Was quoted eight months, but am days away from a year. Love the black widows too.

Thanks. I had a Blackwidow MA2 back in '87 and tried to stick one for two years. Shot under a couple :(
    Got back into recurve in 2001 and smoked a yote, then a close to 100" 8 pt that year. Next yr I blasted another 8 and a doe.
    Following yr a doe and a 6pt.

I had maybe 5 in a row with my then Blackwidow SA2. Of course late season some deer come by as I'm walking back, and I got two missed shots in 5 mins. The shots were beautiful.............deer long gone by the time the arrow got there.

Current bow an old '83 HS58. Missed last yr, confidence was in the toilet. Not much time to practice, hurt both hands.......not been an easy yr. Plus the other stuff of late.

New recurves bring good luck................you'll fill the freezer with it for sure!

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Thanks Yote. "Rest" what is this thing you speak of? 2 hrs sleep and back at it.........cuz better zip something this time LOL. Dunno what they'll call the deer I shot, so I'm stuck hunting does this morning (check in the other one after hunting). Breakfast will include a large Mountain Dew of some sort ;)

As I type this my 177" gross gun kill is sitting on the dining room table, trying to figure out where we're gonna hang it.

Yup, like big bucks..............but my current spot sucks for that. Chances are I did nothing to nix a P&Y chance this year. Figure the check in has a 50/50 call on the Widow kill. Was a cool shot, first knock down that wasn't a spine shot w a bow. Have no idea how slow that arrow is..........but it weighs 540 grains and has an FOC of over 20% :)

Kid had some episodes last night but less than day before........got out and had some fun w mom last eve. So yeah, was halfway decent.
    Thanks again for the prayers. She wanted to go on the deer recovery.....maybe next yr.

With a 177 gross you know what big bucks are & still a cool kill... lol , Hell you may luck out and it not go 3" and you will still get that chance at that P&Y or a B&C ... ,lol Good luck and gods speed to your young'n bro.....

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'm no big buck slayer. The antler yield per time and $ spent is pretty low, even after all these years.
    I've seen some good ones, but only taken 3 over 120". Would have been 4 if not for broken tine.
    Lots of them between 100 and 120"............ no big deal.
    Nothing over 100" net by bow :(
    How in the heck will I get 25" more inches??????

That'd be like winning the lottery.

Figure I've only got a couple more years of stickbow. Trying to get it done (looking at better ground- lease).

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Got a nice fat doe this morning. Havent had much time to hunt this year. Let her walk by early for some dumb reason. While in the process of kicking myself she came back by an hour later. Didn't give her a second chance. Thought i made a good shot but she was quartered to me. Found good blood but decided to wait a while. Went out after a couple of hours and there she was only about 100 yds from where i shot her. Entrance wound perfect right behind shoulder. Squeezed the shot in through some branches. Only my second bow kill so i'm pretty stoked.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Looking good for the evening hunt so far, in the stand at 3:00, saw 2 bucks (+/- 100-110") and a doe by 3:20. Hunting on my grandparents farm, only the second time to this set this year. Scrapes and rubs EVERYWHERE on the logging road heading to the stand. Hopefully the next post will have a picture attached to it...

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We saw our #1 and #2 bucks at 2pm this afternoon crossing a pasture with three other bucks. I guess we aren't getting too close to the rut if they're still hangin in their bachelor groups. The good news is we watched them head into the piece of property we're hunting this evening. The temps are nice, the wind is right and I love hunting over a winter wheat field.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Up for testing..........(not a fan of two blades w/o bleeders)..............Calmont 125.
    Wide...............see what swath it cuts next weekend.

dNxeI7d.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Got a nice fat doe this morning. Havent had much time to hunt this year. Let her walk by early for some dumb reason. While in the process of kicking myself she came back by an hour later. Didn't give her a second chance. Thought i made a good shot but she was quartered to me. Found good blood but decided to wait a while. Went out after a couple of hours and there she was only about 100 yds from where i shot her. Entrance wound perfect right behind shoulder. Squeezed the shot in through some branches. Only my second bow kill so i'm pretty stoked.

Good job! Hell yeah you oughta be stoked! :)

datIANguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2014
    Colfax
    Went out this morning got in a bit later than I liked. Didn't see anything but did find a LOT of bedding areas and a little bush that was destroyed by I'm assuming the fork I let walk last week. Also found out I get to share my woods for the next 3 weeks :(

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Had two little forkers fighting in front of me most of the evening.

[video]https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152503514888528&l=7300257019597849953[/video]

Saw 2 does during my sit, but they were a long way off.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I hope not. I let a dozen walk last year and two so far this year.

Maybe it is a bad omen after all lol

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Went out and did a little scouting tonight before letting the woods cool off until gun season.

Counted 6 fresh scrapes and two decent rubs tonight. 4 scrapes and a rub were actually along a pretty well established trail that is in essence the first row of the cornfield that is still up. The other two scrapes were in the woods, the biggest being about 20 yds from my stand. What's even better is it in one of my shooting lanes!

I did have to evict a couple tresspassers though. One of which had the audacity of sitting in my stand! His buddy was in the tree right next to the stand. I popped them both DRT. That will teach them to use my tree stand!

Walking back out of the woods the way I came in, I heard a deer snort and then take off through the woods. Walked a little farther and near one of the scrapes I saw on the way in was a fresh puddle of urine.

I decided to sit tight for a bit and try to see what kind of deer it was. After about 15 minutes, I heard the corn next to me crunching, and could watch the stalked moving. About 50 yds in front of me two decent does walked out and meandered around the edge of the field and woods. I watched them for about 15 more minutes and they'd occasionally glance at me and then go back to what they were doing, which looked to be trying to get my scent.

Really has me fired up for gun season. The scrape near my stand was pretty big, complete with a broken branch up a tree about 3 1/2 feet. The rubs were both on small saplings about 1 1/2" in diameter. On sapling had a fork that was partially rubbed opposite the main part of the rub. There was about 8" between the forks, so a deer with a decent rack must have made it.

Good luck to those bow hunting this week...think the cooler weather and approaching full moon should be really working in your favor!

Top Bottom