• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Was out hanging a ladder stand at lunch today and found a buck someone had hit in the shoulder with a Rage 2 Blade.

Didn't penetrate the whole way, but must have nicked an artery. Hard telling how long this big Ten wondered around before he died. Someone lost a darn nice trophy.

If it nicked an artery I doubt he lasted too long, if it got into one lung they can go a long long way an last several hours.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Was out hanging a ladder stand at lunch today and found a buck someone had hit in the shoulder with a Rage 2 Blade.

Didn't penetrate the whole way, but must have nicked an artery. Hard telling how long this big Ten wondered around before he died. Someone lost a darn nice trophy.

Lets see some horns?

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Lets see some horns?

135090_10151174563733528_1471441998_o.jpg

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    If it nicked an artery I doubt he lasted too long, if it got into one lung they can go a long long way an last several hours.

All I know is somewhere there is a bow hunter with a broken heart and me crying this one won't be walking in front of my stand.

I'm pretty sure this is the one I was after the night I cut my xbow string :(

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I read where a single lung hit would kill in about 30 mins. Of course where on the lung, length/depth, BH type (degree of sharpness, blade # etc) would be factors possibly shifting that (to what % I dunno).

I have only arrowed 2 that got one lung. One went 450 yards, the other 75. The long D deer was shot from the ground, shoulderblade stopped the arrow short (6.5" of penetration).

The doe that went 75 yards was from shot to drop, 18 minutes (according to the clock on my quiver). I couldn't get another in her, she ran 25 yards and bedded in a blowdown, appeared perfectly fine (head up , looking around). Got up after about 15 mins and went out onto the farmer's lane toward the thicket a little wobbly at first, then like normal, and just fell over. Not a drop from bed to tip over. Shot was almost straight down, missed the spine and blasted through the lung with a 3 blade SST Wasp. Arrow buried in the ground pretty good :)

vwarren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    greenfield
    I have friend who took that straight down shot into one lung shot and the deer made it. Because the next year he shot the same deer and the arrow was still in it. The arrow had a really weird fatty growth all the way around it and went perfectly through one lung.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    A friend shot one with an arrow from prev yr still in one lung (know who shot it the yr before). Remnant arrow a bit fwd, had a cocoon of stuff around it.

FWIW the deer was shot from the same stand LOL.

On my straight down one lung shot, the arrow exited. But then with wheelies they always do. And most times with recurve :)

Kraor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Knox County
    Got this 8 pointer Saturday at 8:40 A.M., 180lbs field dressed, 17.5" inside to inside rack measurement. First bow kill ever..
    deer.jpg

Missed the first 8 pointer that came though trailing a doe by about 1 yard... then 10 minutes later this one came down the same trail but stopped just perfectly for me.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    All I know is somewhere there is a bow hunter with a broken heart and me crying this one won't be walking in front of my stand.

I'm pretty sure this is the one I was after the night I cut my xbow string :(

I would say by the photo theres blood in its mouth an nostril, that has to be a lung. I've read stories of guys finding 1 lung shot deer as far as a mile away. Thats one nice rack, wish you could of arrowed him....keep at it.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Thats one nice rack, wish you could of arrowed him....keep at it.

I'm enjoying the time in the woods and know it'll happen some day.

Looking forward to hunting with my son tomorrow and then the gun hunt on Crane Sunday.

The boy and I will be in the woods a lot next week during the turkey day break.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Went for a stroll thru the woods yesterday evening and saw a nice 8 and a doe. Looking for runs and scrapes to see where I'm going to sit tomorrow morning. Going to get the .458 sighted in today and hopefully have it dialed in pretty good. I think by looking at my cams before harvest started I've got 6-8 different bucks running around my farm. Hopefully they hang out during gun season. Goodluck to everyone in te morning and watch out for the other guy!

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Here is a video from a doe that I shot about 10 days ago. I will note that this is REAL hunting, and in real hunting things happen that you regret. In this video I also blow a "gimme" 20 yard chip shot on a decent buck. We looked for this buck for hours and reviewed footage many times on a 55" HD TV. The shot was too low and I'm pretty confident that this buck is recovering from a superficial wound. It sucks, I failed at my job in putting a good shot on him, and unfortunately this stuff happens.

Enjoy ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbOZzh5_7JQ&list=UU3gc_CXTt9PD3-tLYGQf3Nw&index=1&feature=plcp

You caught me bored... I ran this video through software and slowed it down into frames as the arrow was in flight. I pulled about ten frames before impact and ten after.

The deer raises up upon string release, rather than drops. 95% of deer that "jump the string" are actually dipping down initially and haven't had time to gain elevation when the arrow arrives. This buck of yours was "on his heels" when the string thumped, so his leg reflexes immediately drove him upward.

See the "BEFORE" and "AFTER" photo below... this shows the height of the deer immediately before impact, and the wound opening up upon impact.

You're right, he will survive this one. With the elevation you had on him, this shot just opened up his chest cavity and probably didn't even impact his diaphram. He probably bled like hell since it was low, but if it wasn't too cold for a couple nights you'll see him again.

BEFORE.jpg

AFTER.jpg

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    My brother in law took up deer/bow hunting this year. Got him a good doe on Tuesday. Luck for him I warned him about contamination of the meat from the inner loin gland. He had never heard of it. I removed them for him......now back to lunch.

JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Got this 8 pointer Saturday at 8:40 A.M., 180lbs field dressed, 17.5" inside to inside rack measurement. First bow kill ever..

Missed the first 8 pointer that came though trailing a doe by about 1 yard... then 10 minutes later this one came down the same trail but stopped just perfectly for me.

Nice job! The problem you'll have in years to come is that you'll want pass on every other buck you see as "too small."

Top Bottom