• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Only thing I ever forgot (once) was 3 screw in steps (always pull bottom 3). Got to stand and then remembered.

So I sat there. Looking up now and then at that great stand placement.

Killed a 10 pointer at less than 20 yards after an hr.

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Had an 8 point chase a doe right in front of me. She never stopped for a shot. They ran across the field to where I have another stand set up. He was grunting the whole way!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Glad I noticed before I got to my stand, got some decent scouting in on another location.

My rope is currently tied to my truck keys, lol.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Missed my chance at a shooter,2 smaall bucks came down trail right in front of me and the big boy went behind me. stopped in the brush and I was commited to the right side of the tree. Should of been on the left side,Then I would have had a shot. Never gave me a shot and couldnt move .Maybe next time

herby31

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    fort wayne
    so between school, work, weather, and warranty issues with my xbow scope, my first full season is still deerless (my next deer will also be my first ever). but i had a close encounter last night that made me want to stick it out. I was walking in to my stand on some public ground (more than a mile in) and stopped for one last pee.

When i turned around to continue walking, I heard movement in the woods opposite me across a wide trail/access road. just 5-6 feet inside the edge of those woods was a 6 pt, working a licking branch above a scrape I hadn't noticed before. I was upwind of him and he didn't smell me or spook! there was thick enough brush in the way to keep me from having a shot, but i watched him with my xbow scope hoping he would move into an opening.

he never did, and a few grunts couldn't draw him out. he just walked away into thicker cover. the reason i was so excited by this is that he never seemed to notice me- my camo and scent control must have been working well, I guess i just need to get out there as much as i can and not get discouraged.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Small forky this morning. The two buttons came by, without mommy. Guy at the parking spot was getting his cart ready when I pulled in, said he shot a doe last night back by where my stand was. Seen her with the buttons a couple times. Not today!

Not big but hey, tag filled on public ground- good for him :)

I doe bleated at the two knotheads and they spooked. Over the oak ridge they went, and then the wounded rabbit started bawling. Whoever it was switched calls to more of a jackrabbit type............and then evidently left (no shots fired).

Quail restoration project nearby, DNR had bulldozed more, and trucks in and out today. I said enough and got my cart, yanked my sticks and stand.

I'm hunting private this weekend. Nothing decent seen on that big area up north. Used to be a lot of deer, and the doe killer took a bruiser there before. So something has gone on.

Oh well, I saw some deer.........small ones, same ones.........over and over.

Beats seeing nothing :)

On way home way out in picked beans...........lone buck, medium rack. 1/2 mile from where I'll be Sat. Recurve I'd pop him, but not gun.

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    My trail cameras are averaging 300-400 pictures a week, very few shooter bucks and even those are marginal. One camera had 1240-sum photos on last check but I'm thinking I must've forgotten it on the last check and that's 3 weeks worth of photos. Cruising through the photos real fast it was all does, yearlings and a couple spikes. Honestly haven't looked at all the pictures yet. I went ahead and sat there for four hours and saw 26 does and 7 bucks.

Seeing 20-40 deer a day from the stand, haven't hunted the same location twice yet, no shooter bucks thus far. I'll try to sit in a good spot all day Saturday or Sunday and see what kind of mid-day activity is going on. This is the time to be out there but coyote hunting all night and running traps before daylight really puts a damper on my deer hunting anymore. I averaged out my number of deer seen and hours on stand and came up with an average of a deer every 12 minutes. Hard to catch up on sleep in those conditions! :)

FordMan08

Shooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    24   1   1
    Nov 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    After a week of being sick of making a bad shot and searching, we found the buck I killed last saturday. (When I saw a bad shot, I mean the arrow deflected and hit him poorly)

2012buck.jpg

Llamaguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkadelphia, AR
    My first deer. I sighted my rifle in on a windier day than I thought and hit the spinal cord. Quickly ran over and finished it (hence the cropped picture). Should be a nice and tender baby doe.

15181_10100398232221504_22750122_n.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Had a BIG doe and 2 fawns come in and join a button that I had been watching for 15 minutes or so. They were all around 35 yards, and the brush/trail would have them pass at 20. Time 8:30.

So I was just sitting there with my Hoyt waiting for them to move in and..............

it sounded like a Monster truck rally. Some giant 3 wheeler spreader comes down the road, romping...........pulls into picked beans and hammers down along the woods.
    Deer freak and go back and over, blow out across other road. Guy makes 4 passes and then goes across the main road and proceeds to drag race the other bigger field.

I had bulldozers trashing fencerows when on public ground.

Me and big equipment seem to be clashing this yr.

jsheets1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Portage NWI
    Went and sighted in the shotty at Kingsbury yesterday. I decided to walk some public ground afterwards I had heard about. Has anyone ever hunted the Galena WCA? Saw a fair amount of sign. I think I might take the bow out there next Friday morning to fart around.

Top Bottom