• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    Hey guys. Been lurking on this thread since it started. Been deer hunting for 4 years, started bow this year, and have been very jealous of you guys who see deer x infinity wandering around every time you go out :D

My experience for four years has been on the polar opposite side of the spectrum... I've seen a handful of deer over 4 years and haven't been in position to harvest one. I know, I suck. But today was different. HOLY CRAP WAS IT DIFFERENT.

Hunting from the ground with bow, 1955 Bear Kodiak Special... figured since I suck so bad, why not make it even more unlikely to bag some sweet deer freezer meat. (Love squirrel hunting & have plenty of it in the freezer, no problem getting 3 or 4 when I go out).

Saw a doe on opening day that busted down a trail, spooked by someone else. No shot.

Taint seen a dang thing deer wise since then other than tons when driving. Seen plenty of squirrels though, every time I go out. Even popped a couple with a field blunt I carry in the quiver.

This afternoon went to a new spot, private property right behind where I work. Got permission from the boss. A narrow (40 yd wide) strip of timber running between a crop field and the nice 20 acre mowed grass yard behind our building.

Got in at 12:30, followed the property fence line back in, found some fresh scat, then a rub line, then a scrape, then set up at the base of a big old oak off the edge of what looked to be a nice thick bedding area.

Twenty minutes later I see tines above the brush coming from the bed area, big tines, lots of em. Buck's walking downwind from bedding area, through woodlot, to waterpond that's several hundred yards south. He steps into view and he's a beaut. Boss' neighbors dogs start barking from 400 yds away, buck stops & looks around, continues on.

He steps into a narrow lane about 25 yds out, I'm drawn and let one fly, first shot ever on a deer with any equipment... arrow hits an overhanging branch and deflects... THWACK, TWANG into a tree down the lane about 10 yds in front of the buck. He looks my way, I'm frozen, he looks around, and continues on. Got to watch him for a couple minutes in the woodlot before he headed off. WOW, that was cool.

After 10 minutes, decide to move closer to where the tree line meets the grass field. Set my stool alongside a blow down about 30 yds inside the woodlot, giving me cover on the right to ambush anything else that comes downwind.

Sat there frozen in camo, seeing how close the squirrels will come; they're walking right by on the blow down 3 yds away. Guess the ASAT 3D Vanish camo is doing its job.

14:44 a little basket six walks by at a brisk pace on the grass, doesn't come into the treeline. Hit the grunt to see if he's interested, he's not. Ten minutes later a doe follows, plonking alone on the grass, heading down to the water pond (I guess).

15:30 a yearling doe sneaks up from behind me from downwind on my exposed side. I'm frozen & she's 5 yds away. Turn my head to sneak a peek and we play who can stare the longest for 5 minutes. She turns to go back the way she came, stops again nose in the air. Looks at me, looks away, looks again, then goes walking back from where she came.

16:40 a big 8 walks behind me on the other side of the property line fence, nose to the ground. Watched him walk into the corner where the woodlot meets the grain field. Hit the doe bleat a few times to see if he'd hop the fence and come my way. He didn't.

17:20 doe comes walking upwind on the grass field again. Can't believe how many deer I'm seeing today.

17:45 see a flash to my left, thought it was a big squirrel tail since they're hopping all over the place staying busy. It's a buck coming from downwind. Big body, looong tines, but only four of em. Good enough for me :): He's walking up the wood trail heading my way... OMG this could be the one!

He gets about 35-40 yds away, stops, turns, and drops down to rest a bit, back toward me. Now, I'm set up on the wrong side, facing west and the sun is now poking through the clouds. Well, its beautiful so I guess we'll watch the sunset together.

At 18:15 he's still bedded down and I'm thinking, CRAP, I'm gonna have to wait into the night till he leaves before I leave. One of my squirrel buddies comes up the blowdown again, chucking on a branch 3 yds from me. Buck doesn't pay attention so I start flailing my right arm to shoo the bugger away. Takes a few attempts, since he just moved down the branch to create some distance between himself and what must appear to be an animated pile of leaves.

Squirrel's gone and big 4point is still there, looking away to the sunset, chewing his cud.

18:30 I hit the grunt a few times. Nothing. He doesn't care.

I hit the Primos bleat twice and he's up on his feet! Looking right at me! I freeze, he takes a moment then looks away.

I hit the bleat again three times. He's nose to the ground hobbling my way!!

This is it!!! Throw up a quick prayer, "Lord let him walk behind that big oak 12 yds out and he's coming home with me. If not, he'll live another day and so will I."

Sure enough he's coming straight at me, looking bigger every step. He's only got four points, but his tines are looong, a good foot long, he's big bodied and he seems to have some age on him, hobbling along.

4point puts his head behind the big oak and I draw. Now, sitting still on a 3-legged stool, still as a statue, with no gloves on in 40 degree weather... I'm as stiff as a board. I draw but can barely feel my fingers and the arrow comes off the rest, canting... trying to get 90 degrees away from the bow. CRAP. His head is now past the oak and I look like an idiot. He takes another step, head down, and I let off and quietly get the arrow back on the rest.

Another step, I come to full draw sitting on my stool. There he is... 12 yds out... my first deer... a friggin nice buck!!!

Now, I know the motto is "aim small, miss small", "pick a spot and shoot it". Unfortunately I forgot all that in addition to "take a breath, relax, and release".

The only thing I could see was this big brown broadside buck. I drew, pointed, and released, the Zwickey Delta tipped death stick flew... right behind his shoulder, and right below his belly. :):

He jumped and stepped to 20 yds, looked back, and settled. Then went down trail into the brushy bedding area.

After freaking out and condemning myself to a Christless eternity, deservedly, I look over to the brush and there are his tines. He's walking around. O my could there be sweet redemption on the very day I committed the unpardonable sin?

I hit the Primos can a couple times and he turns, walking back through the brush from east to west. My eye catches movement by the wood edge/grass field and in comes a real doe. They meet up and live happily ever after... at least until next time.

Well guys, 4 bucks-- good bucks-- and 3 does in the same day. In six hours!!
    I don't have to be jealous anymore! TODAY WAS INCREDIBLE, AWESOME, MAJESTIC.

Looking for bit of quick advice as it's 22:00... since the wind & weather will be the same tomorrow, should I head back to this deer superhighway for an early morning hunt, afternoon hunt, all day hunt, or give the location a rest so as to not spoil it.

I'd go purchase a tree stand of some kind and get it in one of those trees.
    less likely to have those stare downs
    sounds like you had some great action.
    hope you bust one soon
    good luck

JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Nice evening, but frustrating. Kicked up half a dozen on the way in. Had a couple does walk by just out of bow range an hour later. An hour after that, I had a nice 8 present a perfect broadside shot at 25 yards. Problem is, I estimated the range at 40 . . . . :xmad:

He ran about a hundred yards and blew in my direction once after the arrow went over his back, then sauntered off. He didn't seem that scared--if I'm really lucky, I might see him again during shooting light this season.

Nice evening hunt, made frustrating by operator error. Now, the tactical question: how long to let that stand rest before going back to it?

Last edited:

typhoon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    the worst year ive ever had so far. one spot i hut at a buddys place they have drained the lake with in a mile of. only have seen one little buck there, this is by far the worst year ive ever seen in my area of monore county

nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Buddy got a stud today

My buddy shot this after i called it in to 60 yards, it sppoked for me and the ran about 120 yards right into my buddies broadhead. Sucks i couldnt get it done but proud that my buddy closed the deal.

nx9u.jpg

nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Thanks

Closed a great deal. Congrats!

Ive seen you over on sportsman and appreciate your views and the way you think. The way i see it is a team. I hunt with two other guys and they are twin Bros that i have known since kindergarten. I am the only non family member that is allowed on their 80 acre oasis. I shot a 148" 238lb field dressed in 2009 and have had the oppurtunity for some other nice ones since then. I am just fine shootin does though, you cant eat antlers but they are nice.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    It's cool man ;)
    Bud and I set up 80 yards apart today in a swamp, to possibly double, or at least watch the other zip one.
    Got neither :( but it was fun trying.
    My team struck out (today). Your's didn't.
    At least we have teams :)

I do love hunting alone, but by golly, helping a bud score, and better yet, watching them score..........is pretty freakin' awesome.

My family team member blew out a knee, will be having surgery. The other guy that hunts across from us (same landowner) just had knee surgery.
    I was going south to hunt the gun opener alone, new big ground, public but rather nasty.......but my guys are all jacked up.

So I'll hunt lesser ground, with them, and probably not fire a shot.

If I drag out bucks for my teammates it'll be just fine with me :)

Last edited:

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I saw it is supposed to get up to 70 Saturday. I'm new to deer hunting, and I was wondering how deer act in the rut when it gets that warm so late in the year?

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Pretty slow this morning for me. One squirrel and two raccoons are all thats came my way. Hopefully a nice slick head will come by sometime soon. I haven't hunted this stand since I took my buck on 10/20, so hopefully it will come through this morning.

Here's a pic from the stand.......beans are already cut in the field to the right, corn is still standing to the left.

picture.php

Dukshead

Marksman
    Rating - 90.5%
    19   2   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Southport
    Super slow on Sunday at Camp A. Wind was blowing a little and it seemed perfect but nothing. Saw a nice high 8 on the way out. Darn near wrecked my buddy driving in front of me. Trying again this afternoon. Have seen a couple nice shooters and lots of slick heads but trying to be patient. My patience is starting to wear thin though!

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Here is the video of the small 6pt and forky squaring off. I thought I got more of it but it looks as though I only recorded the end of the sparing match. Just click the picture.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    Saw 5 different bucks to and from Lafayette today, a few were chasing does, had a really nice one cross the interstate to get to a doe on the other side

Top Bottom