• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    My puppy is going on 5 months old. I have never seen a 4 month old puppy that has acted aggressively towards people. And a 4 month old puppy that probably is just starting to loose her teeth isn't going to do any damage. Puppies BARELY have any recall. Mine is only about 60% recall right now, and she is a heeler. I bet that pit has about 20% recall lol. Whenever a puppy sees something, a cat, person, etc, it will run for it and lick it.

However, the person being chased down isn't going to really focus on that stuff, and realize a 16 week old puppy just wants to play. I don't see why you would need to shoot eight times though? Shoot when the wolf/husky hybrid was after the chickens, father shot it once in the butt with birdshot from a .410 and it ran away like a baby. I highly doubt a 16 week old puppy is going to keep charging you..... Wonder what the officer was thinking, someone needs to do a brain dump on the officer to see.

Shoot we can't do brain dumps yet. Nothing to see here.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    All of those going "It's just a 4 month old puppy" - you do realize he has every bit of the strength needed in his jaw muscles to rip flesh from bone, even at 4 months, right?

Not saying that the 'puppy' was intending harm - but harm could certainly be caused if it was.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Yea if it was a dead carcass laying on the ground or if you sat there singing to it while it eated you. A 16 week old puppy even if it decided to gnaw on you, it would only cause cuts. I don't see aggression being present in a 16 week old puppy. They will gnaw on you a little, even mine does, but it will stop if you firmly say no. I bet this puppy is just like mine and it saw someone and ran to them and was probably just going to lick them and it was shot. She will see someone a hundred feet away ( on our property, and a family member ) and bolt straight for them and I have to say NO! Come HERE!.

But I don't think it shouldn't have been shot. A dog running at large towards a person should be shot or pepper sprayed or zapped. The person is going to have tunnel vision and only see the dogs mouth, and they are not going to think about how old it is, what it wants, etc. They are going to be on the defensive. I am just saying people who think this dog could have hurt someone are over reacting and I doubt it needed to be shot 8 times. If a wolf dog runs off after 1 shot, I don't see this monstrous puppy going in for the kill after 5 6 7 shots lol

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Who cares if the dog is four months old. Is that something you know before you react? What's the cutoff on pitbulls? Five months? Six? Seven? How can you tell when it's running? 21 foot rule likely shorter with animals...

Here's a 4-month pitbull. I could not tell you how old the dog is by looking at it standing still.

americanpitbullterrier_munoz.jpg
    Because it doesn't take eight ****ing shots to put down a 4-month old puppy. A good swift kick should have done it.

After reading the story in it's entirety I doubt anyone that has posted would take kindly to any dog charging/chasing their kid on a bike.
    Nope, I wouldn't. But I wouldn't automatically reach for the firearm on my hip, let alone loose all the rounds contained therein either. I've been "this" close to drawing on a dog that came barreling out of a front door when I've been out walking with my kids. I wouldn't have even considered such an action for a puppy doing the same thing.

All of those going "It's just a 4 month old puppy" - you do realize he has every bit of the strength needed in his jaw muscles to rip flesh from bone, even at 4 months, right?

Not saying that the 'puppy' was intending harm - but harm could certainly be caused if it was.

Nobody is disputing the potential damage the puppy could have caused. But nobody who defends the cop seems to be in favor of critical thinking either. Did it really take one shot, let alone 8, to stop the dog? No call for it. Absolutely no call for it. And the only reason he gets away with it is being a member of the King's Men.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Nobody is disputing the potential damage the puppy could have caused. But nobody who defends the cop seems to be in favor of critical thinking either. Did it really take one shot, let alone 8, to stop the dog? No call for it. Absolutely no call for it. And the only reason he gets away with it is being a member of the King's Men.
    Replace dog with 'criminal'. Should we rail people who defend themselves and fire more than the one shot 'necessary'?

Seriously - if you're in fear of serious bodily injury or death - you don't stop shooting until you're sure the threat has stopped. I certainly wouldn't take on a man armed with a bat or a dog by hand unless I was absolutely certain it was something I could handle without a firearm - if the threat doesn't stop on it's own, I'll stop it.

All of that said, I didn't read the article.

Killion

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    Indianapolis/warren
    I hate when dogs get shot.....makes me sick! I hope that nobody ever shoots my dog and puts me in a very bad situation. If I saw somebody shoot my dog....I would treat it like i would someone shooting at me.

I had a 150lb German Shepard charge me and my 12 week old puppy a few years back. He wanted to eat my dog. Like I said...my dog means the world to me. I would never let anything happen to him. I protect him! now he is big and in return he watches over the the rest of the family. I jumped in front of my puppy and stood my ground. If the angry dog was going to attack lil pup, he would have to get through me. I took several steps towards the charging dog and yelled. He immediately stopped and retreated. I could have shot that huge angry German Shepard, But he could be the love of someones life! You wouldn't shoot a person for yelling or running at you?? Doesn't make sense that dogs are gunned down and people are ok with it

Dogs are, in a way like guns.....

People that don't love and understand them are scared of them. What does citizens of USA do when they don't understand and fear something??? They try to get rid of them.

bottom line.....dont **** with my dogs or I WILL **** YOU!.

sorry this just pisses me off more than anything.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    And to the person who says they can't tell how old that puppy is? Take it a look at our adult mix :D You see that chain? He saw someone near the brush line a few hundred feet away ( neighboring farmers doing so work ) and freaked and took off running so hard that he snapped the chain in half. We saw it and got him back before he ran over there though, and it was still our property, there is just a corn field behind us. Part is ours, part is farmed.

But if he ever decided to go after someone, I would expect them to shoot. He is incredibly strong, and this is the one that I said I was in fear of my life when he got me to the ground by running around me and tripping me.

Look at him, and look at that 16 week old white puppy up there, LOL. That puppy still has a fat belly, and a baby face. This dog is all muscle and has a human sized chest.

He is mixed with English Bulldog, so he is DUMB AS A ROCK lol but he is so strong and buff looking. Glad he didn't turn out all wrinkly like those bulldogs do, ick. He was wrinkly as a puppy.

Last edited:

Killion

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    Indianapolis/warren
    how many dog bites happen every year that are well deserved?? usually someone is messing with the dog, or someone comes into the yard and its his job to protect his territory. So many stories of cops opening a gate walking on the property uninvited. WHen the dog reacts to this threat they are shot. Dogs don't know who cops are, no idea what a warrant is. If you are going to enter a home or yard with a dog. Maybe animal control should go with you, since they can detain a dog without killing it. This thread ****ed up the rest of my day

Killion

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    Indianapolis/warren
    that dog is probably pissed you have him chained up! I would be angry too. Chain me up and I will bite every son of ***** that passes... why??.... because i'm pissed!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    lets replace the word "criminal" with child??? 8 shots still needed?
    Well you can pick any innocuous word you want to make your point. "bunny" "flower" etc...

Point is - you either fear for serious bodily injury or death or you don't. If you do, you stop the threat. If stopping the threat is a boot to the face or 8 shots to the mid-section - that's a decision one must make in an instant and not hesitate.

To be clear, I'm sure this guy isn't going around talking about how happy he is that he got to shoot a dog? I mean if the guy really did fear bodily injury or death - who are we to be armchair quarterbacks and tell him he did it wrong?

I'm not defending the guy or his actions in this particular case but simply saying if you ever feel the need to defend yourself using deadly force - it's on you to make sure you make the right call and all anybody else can do is speculate.

Would this thread still exist if the guy decided not to shoot and ended up mauled to death? ... Maybe, but it would probably be "Dumb@ss should have shot the dog."

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    any grown man or child in the presence of a "grown up" mauled to death by a 4month old puppy you are correct is a dumb@ass

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    any grown man or child in the presence of a "grown up" mauled to death by a 4month old puppy you are correct is a dumb@ass
    So your assertion is that a 4 month old pit bull could not kill a grown man?

You do realize that if that dog were to knock you down and get it's jaws on your throat you would be done for, right?

BIGKAT9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Valpo.
    If dog was on a leash none of this would have happened at this time , sounds like owners got 2 tickets ,leash law ,pet lics.?

ryang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Well isn't an officer that is on vacation similar to a regular person? Or at least in a dogs eyes (and mine) so if the shots really were necessary, what should one of the 2.7 million people in Chicago that aren't allowed to carry supposed to do? Is he only alive because he is a LEO?

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Well isn't an officer that is on vacation similar to a regular person? Or at least in a dogs eyes (and mine) so if the shots really were necessary, what should one of the 2.7 million people in Chicago that aren't allowed to carry supposed to do? Is he only alive because he is a LEO?
    Off-duty police officers can still carry as near as I understand and yes, the other 2.7 million people are screwed.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    yes I am saying a 4month old puppy COULD NOT KILL a concious grown person... have you seen a 4month old puppy? ......... you guys are insane you think this is super puppy or something? they have 4month old puppies at my local pet store that they let in little rooms with SMALL CHILDREN oh the humanity of them................... dont they care about the children!

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    there are purse dogs that get that big................ you think a ****zhu needs 8rnds also????

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Now I wasn't there, and I'm sure no one else here was either, but if that was my son, or daughter that was being charged at by a dog (or anything else), I would do everything in my power to defend him, or her. I don't think it would take me 8 shots, but like I said... I wasn't there. And IMO it really doesn't matter if the person in a LEO or not. The headlines should read "neighbor shoots dog 8 times".

Top Bottom