• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    that comment in itself is why i am arguing on behalf of the OCers.... OCing INCREASES public awareness and helps eliminate the stigma that ONLY CRIMINALS wear guns.

Yes that is true as long as your "Audience" is open to such education. We all know that unfortunately, most of the time they are not.

I suppose OCing at a garage sale is not like OCing most other places. Around here, the sales occur on larger lots where the people are much more rural in nature and probably wouldn't care.

The poeple weeding through piles of garbage probably don't even notice.

There are those sales that are parts of large subdivisions full of stupid sheeple who have flocked to those types of areas though...

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN

WOW. Thanks for the misquote and the mix and match.

How about the rest of what was said after "ignorant"--

IMHO. PLEASE don't take that wrong- not ignorant as in "stupid" but more like in the true sense of the word- you just aren't thinking about or are aware of their situation and what you may be doing to them.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Nah, that was sort of funny. He's obviously ready to settle down and stop all of this nonsense as am I.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Yes that is true as long as your "Audience" is open to such education. We all know that unfortunately, most of the time they are not.

How in the H-E-doublehockeysticks are we supposed to know if our "Audience" is open to such an education. Anti-gun people are everywhere, you can't possibly know where they are lurking.

Heck, you may go to a garage sale and be invited to see the homeowners 50 gun collection and come away with a new shooting buddy.

YOU NEVER KNOW

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    its the audience that is NOT open to such an education because they dont understand that not everyone that carrys a gun is a criminal that the OCers are trying to educate...

Stupid gun haters are stupid gun haters. I'll find better ways to help educate the masses- perhaps leave it to those more capable of it.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    How in the H-H-doublehockeysticks are we supposed to know if our "Audience" is open to such an education. Anti-gun people are everywhere, you can't possibly know where they are lurking.

Heck, you may go to a garage sale and be invited to see the homeowners 50 gun collection and come away with a new shooting buddy.

YOU NEVER KNOW

Yes but I don't OC so that I can meet other gun owners. Is that what OC is all about? Letting others know you carry? I mean, for that reason just so they know in case they want to start a chat?

I don't care so much about some stranger's gun collection. I'd rather CC and not worry about a lot of the other downfalls to OCing that we really don't need to get into.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    How in the H-H-doublehockeysticks are we supposed to know if our "Audience" is open to such an education. Anti-gun people are everywhere, you can't possibly know where they are lurking.

YOU NEVER KNOW

My point exactly.... there could be someone who is not open to an education ANYWHERE does that mean we should NEVER open carry? NO... all that means is that is the manager, or in this case homeowner chooses to not be educated, then conceal your gun or leave.... but to not OC just in case someone COULD be offended is against the core reason for OCing.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Just for the record I am an OC'er. However, I do on occasion CC. It all depends on the locality and the group of people I will be interacting with on how I choose to carry. It is my responsibility (as a licensed Firearms Carrier) to choose the proper carry option for the proper time.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Just for the record I am an OC'er. However, I do on occasion CC. It all depends on the locality and the group of people I will be interacting with on how I choose to carry. It is my responsibility (as a licensed Firearms Carrier) to choose the proper carry option for the proper time.

That is a very good point, and i respect that opinion... i am mereling arguing the point that if a person chooses to they can OC wherever they want (within legal parameters). that they shouldnt HAVE to conceal just because there is a CHANCE that someone COULD get offended... if that were the case OCing wouldnt be legal.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Indy- My statement that you just refuted was in response to a statement made that OC'ing is good because it educates. So, with the thinking that maybe noone is open to education as you just used to make a point, then "Education" is not a reason to OC.

Which is it? Please don't make a point and when I point out another side to it, overgeneralize so that you nullify my point because that same overgeneralized situation nullifies your point as well- it becomes a draw.

I'm all for OC, I just chose not to do it. I'm for gay marriage, but you bet you won't be seeing me do it. It's their right in some states but I sure wouldn't want it done in front of me. I know inherited several gay friends through my girlfriend but they're great guys. A few are in a relationship together and even though they have just as much of a right to show affection in public as she and I do, they chose not to depending on the situation. They aren't hiding anything, they are just being prudent. I may need an education on gay relationships but they haven't chosen to make themselves the spokesmen for that and I respect that very much.

I hope this analogy makes a little sense.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    That is a very good point, and i respect that opinion... i am mereling arguing the point that if a person chooses to they can OC wherever they want (within legal parameters). that they shouldnt HAVE to conceal just because there is a CHANCE that someone COULD get offended... if that were the case OCing wouldnt be legal.

Let me state that I'm not really worried about what someone thinks about your OC'ing. I should have been MUCH more careful about what I said and how I said it. What I said was taken in a much too general sense.

I was just thinking about some poor schmuck we aren't even talking about who's trying to sell his wife's junk to recoup some money for his own hobby finally...

IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    And your usefulness her was what exactly? To point out that my opinion is wrong? Ok, you're leaving. You must be right? :rolleyes: Sorry our first encounter had to go this way.

Not quite our "first encounter". Remember this? You made it clear to me that you are only posting to invite arguments and stir the pot.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...handgun_tanfoglio_gt_380_auto.html#post340495

Oh well, as I said before, I'm done here. OP, good job for excercising your right to OC, no matter where it is. The gentlemen who asked about the pistol could very well be on his way to obtaining an LTCH now after his encounter with you. :yesway:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    However the very point you bring up is the point that makes it irresponsible as a gun owner to do. If you have a suspicion that the land owner will not receive you wearing in an OC configuration. Why should he have to tell you that he does not appreciate what you are doing on his property. Shouldn't you as the responsible carrier changed your carry option before the incident happened?

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Not quite our "first encounter". Remember this? You made it clear to me that you are only posting to invite arguments and stir the pot.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...handgun_tanfoglio_gt_380_auto.html#post340495

Oh well, as I said before, I'm done here. OP, good job for excercising your right to OC, no matter where it is. The gentlemen who asked about the pistol could very well be on his way to obtaining an LTCH now after his encounter with you. :yesway:

Oh, I made that clear to you? I invite people to go ahead and read what I wrote.

So you admit you opened your mouth in this thread just because you have an axe to grind? Nice of you, very thoughtful to everyone involved. I could tell there was a chip on your shoulder immediately.

So, is your axe sharp now?

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    If you have a suspicion that the land owner will not receive you wearing in an OC configuration.
    You have no way to have any such suspiction unless you walk around thinking everyone has a negative opinion about seeing a gun as you seem to have.

Why should he have to tell you that he does not appreciate what you are doing on his property.
    Because you are doing nothing Illegal. If he doesn't like what you're doing on his property he can ask you to leave.

Shouldn't you as the responsible carrier changed your carry option before the incident happened?
    NO, you had no way to know anything could happen...unless you're psychic.

Top Bottom