• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Young- I'd leave him alone if I were you. Everything he said makes sense.

As far as assuming everyone has suspicions, the OC'ers are also assuming the same thing- that people need an education. Do they not like guns and need an education or not? What are we to assume? Can we both make our own assumptions or should we agree on one single assumption?

Do you take your shoes off when you enter someone's home even before you are told to? Shouldn't THEY have to tell you if that's their wish? Some things are done to be considerate, even if it makes you "too" considerate and a "*****".

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Sooo... back to the OP...

In his attendance at multiple garage sales that day, possibly OCing at more than one, there were some number of non issues and at least one very positive encounter. Nothing bad seemed to happen. Was it just luck? Did he beat the claimed odds?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    You have no way to have any such suspiction unless you walk around thinking everyone has a negative opinion about seeing a gun as you seem to have.

Because you are doing nothing Illegal. If he doesn't like what you're doing on his property he can ask you to leave.

NO, you had no way to know anything could happen...unless you're psychic.

+1

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Do you take your shoes off when you enter someone's home even before you are told to? Shouldn't THEY have to tell you if that's their wish? Some things are done to be considerate, even if it makes you "too" considerate and a "*****".
    I ask if I should take them off or leave them on. Glad we got that straightened out. But I don't need to, if they desire my feet a certain way it is up to them to request it.

But if I didn't and just walked around with my shoes(gun) on and they didn't want that on their property then they are perfectly within their rights to ask me to remove my shoes(gun) or leave their property.

Did someone call someone a "*****" and I missed it. Thought we were going to stop that crap JosephR. Let's continue to keep it civil.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Sooo... back to the OP...

In his attendance at multiple garage sales that day, possibly OCing at more than one, there were some number of non issues and at least one very positive encounter. Nothing bad seemed to happen. Was it just luck? Did he beat the claimed odds?

Ok, none of my "bad" ideas came from it. Did any of the OC supporters' "good" events turn out from this either?

It's neither good nor bad, it's not an OC/CC debate either.

I was just suggesting the more considerate route, which it is.

BUT, you most certainly don't have to agree with me on what is or is not considerate and whether you need to go out of your way to practice it.

The only reason I defended my statements was because I thought I was misinterpreted and I wanted to make it clear what my beliefs were.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone. That is, except for Varminter. He came here to fuel his own fire. I hope he got what he needed for the next time he wants to hop in just to point out I am "mean" to him.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    You have no way to have any such suspiction unless you walk around thinking everyone has a negative opinion about seeing a gun as you seem to have.

You are telling me though your course of travels throughout the state you are not able to garner suspicion that some localities do not really cotton to people carrying firearms.

Because you are doing nothing Illegal. If he doesn't like what you're doing on his property he can ask you to leave.

Not exactly correct. There are several laws that could be in violation with out you even being aware of them...

NO, you had no way to know anything could happen...unless you're psychic.

So just by exercising a little bit of intelligent thought you can not deduce that a person in certain localities will not enjoy you carrying on the property.

:D

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    I ask if I should take them off or leave them on. Glad we got that straightened out. But I don't need to, if they desire my feet a certain way it is up to them to request it.

But if I didn't and just walked around with my shoes(gun) on and they didn't want that on their property then they are perfectly within their rights to ask me to remove my shoes(gun) or leave their property.

So you do ask? I always at least motion to take mine off. That way they can tell me I don't need to OR be happy that I was considerate.

I guess it's just how we're brought up, not one way being better than another.

It's no problem for you to ask. Some people would rather just take them off. You are the type that doesn't mind asking. I do ask because I wouldn't want them to think I was insinuating it was a big deal and have them go "nah, don't worry" but that's their problem.

I'm also the type though that will tell you if you have a booger hanging out or if you misspell something, thinking that it will only help you out to know. Most people consider these things inconsiderate.

I guess we're all different. We need to just focus on our similarities here.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I think the described event was excellent. The undescribed events also seem to have been. How many others that day saw a normal person carrying a gun who previously thought only wackos and criminals did such things (aside from LE.)

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    But I don't have any comfort problems with my OWB holster.:dunno:

:):

Grrr. I wasn't talking to you ;)

I have worn OWB very occasionally and I always find that having my holster inside my jeans allows me to slide into a seat easier or other similar situations. Same with getting up, the top of the gun has something over it to keep it from snagging.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    That is a very good point, and i respect that opinion... i am mereling arguing the point that if a person chooses to they can OC wherever they want (within legal parameters). that they shouldnt HAVE to conceal just because there is a CHANCE that someone COULD get offended... if that were the case OCing wouldnt be legal.

Nick, you just hit the bullseye! Too many of our freedoms are being eroded on a "chance someone could be offended."

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN

+!

It's simple. Chose to be a more respectful person or don't. You have the right to go around saying "it's my right and I just don't give a F*ck."

People have the right to burn the flag you know. Think of how it makes you feel to see that. It's an extreme case but it's relevant. Some things you don't HAVE to do just because it's your right.

Hell in this state I have the right to bang 16 year olds. That is NOT gonna happen just because I have the right ;)

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    You are telling me though your course of travels throughout the state you are not able to garner suspicion that some localities do not really cotton to people carrying firearms.
    The OP decided not to walk around and live my life in fear of other people's fears and prejudices. We should all be so brave in life.

Not exactly correct. There are several laws that could be in violation with out you even being aware of them...
    Waiting for an example

So just by exercising a little bit of intelligent thought you can not deduce that a person in certain localities will not enjoy you carrying on the property.
    Please list us your locales that you don't carry to(that are not against IN law already). Curious to know.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Nick, you just hit the bullseye! Too many of our freedoms are being eroded on a "chance someone could be offended."

And I COMPLETELY do NOT endorse this kind of situation.

I strongly believe that if we are more prudent, more a$$holes won't find a need to make the law in the first place.

Speed limits are there because we can't drive at safe speeds when left to our own devices.

I hate laws like this...

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    The OP decided not to walk around and live my life in fear of other people's fears and prejudices. We should all be so brave in life.

Waiting for an example

Please list us your locales that you don't carry to(that are not against IN law already). Curious to know.

I can tell you that I won't carry in someone's home who I know doesn't like firearms or feel safe around them. I'm willing to educate but I'm not going to insist on it if they've decided they don't feel safe with them.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I can tell you that I won't carry in someone's home who I know doesn't like firearms or feel safe around them. I'm willing to educate but I'm not going to insist on it if they've decided they don't feel safe with them.
    Personally, I only CC, the only place I don't carry(other than work where it is not allowed) when I am wearing pants is my neighbors homes. I don't know how they feel about the issue and don't want to have it possibly ruin a friendship if they find out I am carrying in their house.

Other than that, for me, no place is off limits unless stated in IN law.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    For the record, I am at my most courteous when openly carrying. By this I mean mindful that I am representing more than just Mr. ATM but a whole 'nother group which will benefit or pay for my actions through peoples perceptions.

Top Bottom