• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    I would like to post up outside the police department at some point too. Idk well see what the mayor says about a permit when I call him again tomorrow

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    state law supersedes local law.

if you park at the damn, walk to the diner, eat, and walk back, is that really considered an event that would require the permit? seems like an even would be a fixed location where this would be a breakfast and a stroll downtown...

Just strolling? No.

But these guys are wanting specifically to demonstrate, including mentions of picket signs and they are organizing an event. All of those are subject to permits if done on public property and the discretion of private property owners if they are at businesses.

Therein lies the difference in getting your message out.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Don't forget the mayor retired from HPD, and councilman Claussen is current HPD.

That being said I would have a copy of IMPD ' S current copy of how they deal with armed citizens and make sure it's sent ti the ILEA Academy right down the damn street.

Also show them their out of date ordanence along with these laws/cases:

Richardson v. State

Starr v. State
    One is only required to ID one's self if they have committed an infraction or ordnance violation

Washington v. State

Terry v State
    An officer may detain an individual temporarily for criminal investigation purposes only when the officer*has developed reasonable suspicion.

United States v. Cortez, 449*
    U.S. 411, 417-18 (1981).
    However, an officer “must have a particularized and objective*
    basis for suspecting the particular person stopped of criminal activity.” This basis must focus on particularized suspect behavior and not descriptive*or environmental factors.*

United States v. Black, 707 F.3d 531, 540 (4th Cir. 2013)
    Absent any other suspicious behavior, the carrying of a firearm alone does NOT create reasonable*
    suspicion for detention.
    (“Where a*state permits individuals to openly carry firearms, the exercise of this right, without more, cannot justify*an investigatory detention.”).
    Thus, officers stopping an individual for carrying a firearm must be able to*point to additional suspect behavior that led them to believe criminal activity was afoot. There is NO*Indiana statutory authority that permits an officer to stop an individual carrying a handgun*solely for the purpose of verifying the existence of a valid handgun license.*

IC 35-47-14-3 Warrantless seizure of firearm from individual believed to be dangerous

Last edited:

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    Been playing phone tag. Well see what happens this morning. I told them I work 2-11 this week and theybkeep calling around 4 and dont answer when I csll, goes to voice mail.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Been playing phone tag. Well see what happens this morning. I told them I work 2-11 this week and theybkeep calling around 4 and dont answer when I csll, goes to voice mail.

That's not a coincidence, I'm sure.
    Prevents them from actually doing/denying anything.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    That's not a coincidence, I'm sure.
    Prevents them from actually doing/denying anything.

I was thinking the same thing. They are trying to run out the clock, or they can't tell time.

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    Yea im assuming the guy is just busy in the morning and less busy the later it gets. Hopefully today i get a hold of him, if not I'm sure I will monday as im off all day.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Yea im assuming the guy is just busy in the morning and less busy the later it gets. Hopefully today i get a hold of him, if not I'm sure I will monday as im off all day.

I'm still going with, "they can't tell time." ;)

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Dan - I've got tickets to the Purdue v Michigan State game, been planning to go for some time. Sorry I will miss this one. Take pics and bring the video cam! :yesway: :patriot:

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    Dan - I've got tickets to the Purdue v Michigan State game, been planning to go for some time. Sorry I will miss this one. Take pics and bring the video cam! :yesway: :patriot:

Wish you couldve made it! But I understand, and honestly we might not even be able to do it on the 11th, didn't anticipate not being able to reach the mayor. Im going to call him again at 9am monday and if I dont get an answer I'm going there and waiting till he is able to have a meeting. Hopefully it will be on for the 11th still, the sooner the better.

And go Purdue!

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    I spoke with Dan a couple hours ago. He's still waiting on the mayor of Hobart. And he's currently working on a letter to hand to the mayor in order to get a permit. He should be online sometime this evening and we'll be discussing what to include on flyers/pamphlets and if were still planning for this Saturday. We should know for sure by tonight, I assume.

At the rate the mayors office is moving, I'd be surprised if we received a permit by this Saturday, although we can keep our fingers crossed.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    Or I should say discussing on how to best format the flyer/pamphlet. As we know we'ed like to include other departments protocol for dealing with licensed firearm carriers, along with how Hobart has been interacting,

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    Sorry for not being around. Been on midnights this week so when nkt trying to reach the mayor ive been asleep or at work, idk whats going on with thier office but I cant reach him for anything. Thinking Saturday isn't looking promising

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    This event is officially NOT happening this Saturday the 11th. though it is not the end, I will return and post again when I get more information. going to continue relentlessly reaching out to the mayor and anyone else that will listen. Am going to the mayors office Monday to speak with somebody in person.

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    *UPDATE*
    So come to find out it was my phones fault and not the mayors that he didn't reach me, my phone recently did an update and I received a bunch of voicemails I didnt have before some of which were the mayor of hobart returning my calls. So I called him once again apologized on his voicemail and asked that he give me another call.

Yesterday I got with some ingo members and we discussed the whole thing and have come up with a bit so far.

we want this to be a "rally to defend gun owners" or something of the sort, we could use help with the name so it appeals to the public and not just ingo. We want to stay away from an "OC" event because as weve seen hobart isnt targeting just OCers its all gun owners in possession of a firearm in the city of Hobart. Of course there will be OC but we don't want it to necessarily be an OC event as it applies to more.

Also we discussed the where, so far we think a walk from lake george through downtown Hobart and ending at the police station possibly after getting lunch at a restraunt.

We want to make it clear to anyone willing to listen that the Hobart police are breaking laws, targeting gun owners, etc. Etc. There is a possibility of a guest speaker ill keep that quiet until I know more, and we might get the media involved as well as youtube obviously.

We want to make clear and to the point flyers that we can pass out to people stating what the PD is doing what laws they are breaking and possibly the IMPD procedure.

we are working on the flyers as well as the letter and key talking points for the meeting witht the mayor

we plan to attend city council meetings

we plan to make a ln event on social media such as Facebook

we want the city of hobart to know that we will not stand for the targeting of gun owners and the police breaking the laws and violating rights. So with that said we want to get as much coverage of the rally as possible and really get the word out.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom