• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Meet in the park by lake george... walk up the lake sidewalk... go have breakfast at The Spot... take a leisurely stroll back to the park by way of main street... you'll be seen...-edit- or Lake Park Restaurant.... they got some decent food there.. the missus and I frequent there from time to time..

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    I think for this event we should really request that people do not bring long guns. As others have stated, it may dilute our message. We should concise trace our efforts at this time to the way they are interacting with lawfull carriers, regardless on how they choose to carry their weapons. And the illegal search of vehicles of carriers.

Sounds good we'll put it out, no long guns

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    Meet in the park by lake george... walk up the lake sidewalk... go have breakfast at The Spot... take a leisurely stroll back to the park by way of main street... you'll be seen...-edit- or Lake Park Restaurant.... they got some decent food there.. the missus and I frequent there from time to time..

Now theres an idea

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    Got off the phone with the city council, city council has open discussion at the end where anything can be directed towards the council. This Wednesday 6pm. Also the mayor is going to call me back and let me know when he wants to have a meeting to discuss everything as well as talk to him about a permit. I have to type a letter requesting the permit. Any suggestions for what to say to the mayor?

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    I would just bring up the concerns, a cliff notes version of the stories regarding recent interactions with the Hobart Police. Possibly bring up the way some bigger departments have decided interactions with gun owners go.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    Wednesday is a no go for me to the council meeting, I have a sleep study that evening to get fitted with a machine. Hopefully Joe and a few others will have the time to attend.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    If the permit is a no-go then we're a group of people meeting to go to breakfast/lunch/whatever.
    Definitely keep us up to date on what is going on with the mayor/council.
    My son does video rendering, mostly team shooter games that he provides commentary on what the teams are doing. It would take a lot to get a high school kid up that early on a Saturday (Avon is a ways, but I will be there). He has some very strong views on Constitutional rights so he may be there to video the happenings. If not, he could get it off YouTube or whereever you get videos.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I am sure some of the LEOs here can chime in regarding training that is going on down here with IMPD and others. They are doing an awesome job of teaching officers that guns NEED to stay in their holsters unless there is a RAS to remove it from the owner's control. "officer safety" doesnt cut it anymore.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    ...guns NEED to stay in their holsters unless there is a RAS to remove it from the owner's control. "officer safety" doesnt cut it anymore.

So from a cursory reading I am guessing that when you conduct your OC event in Hobart you anticipate some officers disarming you. If that is the case does it make sense that your OC weapons be empty or at lease no rounds in the chamber. Hate for someone to get hurt when an officer causes an accidental discharge while making your weapon "safe". You know that if an accidental discharge occurs the media will paint it as being your fault even if you are not touching your gun. Conceal a BUG if you need to or carry loaded magazines where you can get to them if needed.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    I think the hope is that this will bring awareness, and nobody will be disarmed. I've been to several events where I seen nobody was checked, disarmed, or bothered at all. Hopefully, we have the same treatment in Hobart. We'd like to think that it's just a few particular officers that have the issues with folks carrying. It can be possible that most people mistreated, or that have their rights violated, like in the case of my buddy, aren't familiar enough with their rights and are happy not receiving citations. They don't even think about making a complaint. So it's my hope that the superiors don't understand how often these things happen.

I plan to carry as I normally carry, just like when I go to the grocery store, the hardware store, walk my dogs, go to the vet, or go to family parties. I won't change the way I carry while exercising my right to peaceably assemble. I am taking the bet that nothing "wrong" happends. However in the case that it does, I'd prefer it to be recorded.

But as I said, I expect no rights to be violated during this event. We are working on fliers to hand out to interested parties. Maybe come up with a few slogans for signs. We want to center our focus on the interaction of lawfull carriers and police. Nothing more, nothing less. If there comes a momment where we need to broaden our scope, then we will put our hats together and plan accordingly.

Along with Dan taking the forefront, by speaking with the mayor and city council. Working on getting proper permits and such. Contacting public officials, and with a peaceful assembly of lawful gun owners to bring about awareness and education. I believe and hope that the city of Hobart will look at and make changes to their policy that deals with integrating with lawfull gun owners.

That being said, i do understand your concern. And wouldn't blame anybody for not having a round in the chamber. As for me, I will follow my normal routine, and carry my 1911 cocked and locked.

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    I think the hope is that this will bring awareness, and nobody will be disarmed. I've been to several events where I seen nobody was checked, disarmed, or bothered at all. Hopefully, we have the same treatment in Hobart. We'd like to think that it's just a few particular officers that have the issues with folks carrying. It can be possible that most people mistreated, or that have their rights violated, like in the case of my buddy, aren't familiar enough with their rights and are happy not receiving citations. They don't even think about making a complaint. So it's my hope that the superiors don't understand how often these things happen.

I plan to carry as I normally carry, just like when I go to the grocery store, the hardware store, walk my dogs, go to the vet, or go to family parties. I won't change the way I carry while exercising my right to peaceably assemble. I am taking the bet that nothing "wrong" happends. However in the case that it does, I'd prefer it to be recorded.

But as I said, I expect no rights to be violated during this event. We are working on fliers to hand out to interested parties. Maybe come up with a few slogans for signs. We want to center our focus on the interaction of lawfull carriers and police. Nothing more, nothing less. If there comes a momment where we need to broaden our scope, then we will put our hats together and plan accordingly.

Along with Dan taking the forefront, by speaking with the mayor and city council. Working on getting proper permits and such. Contacting public officials, and with a peaceful assembly of lawful gun owners to bring about awareness and education. I believe and hope that the city of Hobart will look at and make changes to their policy that deals with integrating with lawfull gun owners.

That being said, i do understand your concern. And wouldn't blame anybody for not having a round in the chamber. As for me, I will follow my normal routine, and carry my 1911 cocked and locked.

Well said

Frost49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Tim Buk 2
    What my question would be is although not contradicting state law and your right to carry how you choose to carry, what does the local ordinance mean in "loaded condition" Is it referring to rounds in the chamber/magazine? or carrying +1 with autos? You might not be breaking state law, but you might be breaking local laws. It doesn't say you can't carry, but to carry loaded seems to be illegal if I am reading it correctly.
    It is unlawful for any person, except an officer of the law in the discharge of his or her duties, to carry in a loaded condition:

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    That ordinance as worded would be unenforceable, if they did try to enforce that ordinance there'd probably be one happy lawyer around these parts.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    What my question would be is although not contradicting state law and your right to carry how you choose to carry, what does the local ordinance mean in "loaded condition" Is it referring to rounds in the chamber/magazine? or carrying +1 with autos? You might not be breaking state law, but you might be breaking local laws. It doesn't say you can't carry, but to carry loaded seems to be illegal if I am reading it correctly.
    It is unlawful for any person, except an officer of the law in the discharge of his or her duties, to carry in a loaded condition:

And the firearms preemption law passed couple years ago invalidated that.

hd96heritage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2014
    Wheat-tucky
    state law supersedes local law.

if you park at the damn, walk to the diner, eat, and walk back, is that really considered an event that would require the permit? seems like an even would be a fixed location where this would be a breakfast and a stroll downtown...

Top Bottom