• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    But so does the supervisor who came to the rescue. The supervisor should have apologized for his officer and should have required the officer to apologize too. Clearly BOTH are at fault but only 1 has the focus of most of the posts in this thread.

JMO
    I am a former PO and I am resisting the urge to name names. I don't think it will help. As long as the issue is discussed and the command gets the message I don't see any reason to further embarrass anyone. They have a tough job to do but they need to remember that we are not all scumbags to be dealt with in such a snotty, disrespectful manner.

Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin
    Well you could turn it into a "teachable moment" and file a complaint. In your complaint, don't ask for any monetary damages, you probably won't get that anyway, but ask for the ENTIRE DEPARTMENT to be educated on the legalities of #1) Carrying Openly on your own property without a LTCH and #2) Carrying Openly off your property with a LTCH.

That will eliminate many of the "misinformed idiots in blue."

This.

And follow up with a letter to the editor of the local paper. Public education is a good thing.

Better yet, the dispatcher who took the call should have been able to inform the neighbor who called that it is not illegal.

Bingo. This is one of those things that COULD have ended before it began -- just like that case of the fellow with the gun at the zoo.

If the folks answering the phone just knew the law well enough, they could have defused and ended the situation right then and there.

Tony

Last edited:

DaddyFixSemi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Princeton, In
    I am a former PO and I am resisting the urge to name names. I don't think it will help. As long as the issue is discussed and the command gets the message I don't see any reason to further embarrass anyone. They have a tough job to do but they need to remember that we are not all scumbags to be dealt with in such a snotty, disrespectful manner.

:+1: I think that is the right attitude to have concerning what happened. There are officer's out there, that no matter what you do to see that they learn some type of lesson they never learn. It only makes them seem to target you more when they can.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    They won't be embarrassed by having their names posted here. It will only make them mad.

Personally I like to build a bridge of civility and understanding between civilians and the police. It would be better if we all shared common goals and worked together rather than try to embarrass them.

Sure there are some bad cops. There are some bad civilians too. I strongly believe that the OP needs to take this to a logical conclusion and insure that ALL officers are trained in the simple laws of OC in our Hoosier state, but we should not be out to embarrass officers. Yes, from the description the officer played the role of 'bad cop' and likely was a total douchebag, yes, the officer needs to get smacked. But that is for his command to do.

It may be hard to believe, the police are civilian employees of your local government. "Command" (they love those military sounding terms to appeal to the badge sniffers) is a civilian supervisor usually politically appointed, in other words a bureaucrat. Obviously, those bureaucrats are not getting the hint, or taking the education, to stop hassling their employers (the public) over things that are not illegal or over which they have no authority granted them. They ONLY thing that makes bureaucrats sit up and take notice is the thought of losing their cushy jobs and retirement. Sunlight is the best antiseptic. They're ALREADY MAD, obviously, they're ALREADY out of control. If having their names published "makes them mad" for dumb*** antics they perform then they really, really, really need to find a new line of employment. Ticking timebombs with badges need to go, now.

Tandor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    Chesterton
    I'm not one looking for trouble but, This arse needs a lesson...complain! Easy for me to say that but as most of us middle class law abiding folks feel,WE ARE TIRED OF BEING PUSHED AROUND! I got a ticket last year for speeding, they asked to search my truck, didn't have a problem with that, but a young PO asked why I carried a AXE in my truck. I said to chop wood...he thought I was being a smart a** but I was being truthful....tada f*ing magic I chop wood. I still laugh today seeing the look on his face when I said "chop wood"....Tada. Best wishes and Good luck.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Given that the officer humiliated a law-abiding citizen, maybe in front of his/her family, a little crow-eating seems in order.

If the officer can't handle crow, maybe a tort(e) would be more to his liking.:D

revolvers&w

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Albany
    Yes sounds like a complaint needs to be filed! and maybe even going over to the neighbor for a friendly chat.

I am in agreement with the complaint but I think the chat may be ill advised so soon after the incident, give it some time.
    Besides, the neighbor is allowed his ignorance. The LEO should have a responsibility to have a grasp of the law as well as the ability to interact with the public in a professional mannor.:twocents:

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    What were you wearing also? If you were in a speedo and mid-riff shirt, then the officer behaved appropriately. I just think we're inferring too much in his thread.

OK, fess up, you saw him and you are the neighbor that called it in on him. I know Greyhound and he does have an outfit like that. (LOL)
    Sorry I, couldn't resist.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    The source of the problem needs to be addressed.

Greyhound 47, did the officers speak with your neighbor? Although I think a complaint is in order and additional training for the FWPD, the neighbor problem is still there. Is this the same guy with the motion detectors? Perhaps we need an OC BBQ or lawn party at your house to properly de-sensitize your neighbors to OC. Keep us posted on what the outcome is after the "training" is completed. I am surprised you maintained you cool and didn't plead with the officer to "Don't taze me Bro".

(PS: if you were OCing the M&P none of this would have happened, your neighbor is probably an anti-glockite)

DaddyFixSemi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Princeton, In
    Given that the officer humiliated a law-abiding citizen, maybe in front of his/her family, a little crow-eating seems in order.

If the officer can't handle crow, maybe a tort(e) would be more to his liking.:D

I agree if things had been taken further by the PO and his supervisor, then yes most defiantly file a complaint as well as go to the chief of police and the press.

However seeing as we are not the one's involved in this,, I think it best that we fellow INGO members stand behind whatever decision(s) that greyhound47 and his family decide, even if we may not agree with it personally.

LanceRobbins24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    South Bend
    If an officer came up to me IN MY OWN YARD and tole me to show him my LTCH, I would politely decline. If he demanded it, I would politely inform him that Indiana law allows one to carry on their own property without a license. If it went beyond that, I would shut up, let them do whatever they wanted (interpret - not resist, while at the same time not giving permission), and find a good lawyer (Guy). I would then sue them for violating Indiana law regarding carrying a firearm.

^^^^^^^^^dis is da troof^^^^^^^^^^

Same here!

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I agree if things had been taken further by the PO and his supervisor, then yes most defiantly file a complaint as well as go to the chief of police and the press.

However seeing as we are not the one's involved in this,, I think it best that we fellow INGO members stand behind whatever decision(s) that greyhound47 and his family decide, even if we may not agree with it personally.

Thx Daddy. I WON the interaction. I did not get tazed. Beaten. Go to jail, etc. I won and they knew it. I just needed to talk w the superiors as I did feel I was spoken to in a very unprofessional manner and generally treated in a shoddy manner. As I told their commander today, the lack of training was obvious, lack of professionalism was blatant, and these actions further separate the good people from the police dept.

In response to armed and ready, yep, it was THE neighbor! Jack hole of the year. Must I oc my AR? Does it really need to come to that?:D.

Top Bottom