• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wwwildthing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Arizona
    So... you need a gun to mow the lawn in Fort Wayne?

Sounds like that other guy that needed a gun to go to the Doctor's office.

That's just unbelievable... Indiana use to be a really safe place.

Still glad I live in Arizona most of the year. Four tons of gravel eliminates that whole 'mowing the yard' thing.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Sorry to hear that you were treated this way in your own yard. We should all work to make the public come to the same conclusion we do when seeing OC. "Thats a nice holster, wonder who made it." Each visible holstered weapon acts as a deterrent against crime in the same way a conspicuously placed police car slows down that pack of speedy drivers on the interstate.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    If I arrive and see a guy riding a lawnmower with a gun on his hip, I'm immediately going to roll my eyes, and think about how ridiculous the situation I've been dispatched to is.

I'm not LEO but I agree with what you are saying, just thought I would bring it up since it popped into my head.

Lawnmower driver sparks Purdue shooting | WLFI - West Lafayette, Indiana

3128imagefromofficermar.png

Granted the suspect was nuts and the gun was fake.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I would have told the chicken suckers to to ticket me, arrest me, or get the hell off my lawn, your smashing my pretty grass.

With the shootings and the murder here yesterday just 12 blocks away, maybe carrying while mowing isn't a bad idea.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Last edited:

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    File a complaint. I am a former LEO and have filed complaints about LEO's and have LEO's in the family. However, the bad LEO's give everyone a bad name. I would bet that this will not be the first complaint about that particular LEO. If it is, there will probably be a ton to follow. I was the first person to complain about one young LEO who now leads his post in number of complaints filed. It helps when everyone knows which are the bad apples.

That's a shame. But he may one of those with the attitude of: "If I am getting complaints then I MUST be doing my job."

Have run into those before and they are REALLY irritating. They seem to forget that a certain percentage of the job is PUBLIC RELATIONS. It is hard to promote your department as serving the people when they see your officers as having a Gestapo like approach.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    So, today I am mowing my yard, cleaning up leaves, etc. I am carrying a G19 in a holster on my belt, like I usually do. Well, I got this feeling that I was being watched. I was. A FW police officer had pulled up to my yard and was exiting his vehicle. I shut off the mower and gave the officer a big smile, said hello, and approached him. He asked to see my LTCH. I complied but asked why in a friendly tone. He looked at me and said, "because I said so". I let a laugh escape me bc I was so shocked. He asked me what was so funny. I told him that there was nothing funny about what was happening. Again, I asked him what the problem was, again in a very friendly manner. He said to chill out and wait until I was spoken to.

Can you feel what I was feeling right now? I was getting scared.

It turns out my neighbor called it in bc he thought that carrying a gun was illegal. I nicely informed the officer that I do not even need a LTCH to carry on my own property and my LTCH allows me to carry openly or concealed. It didn't go well after that.

In the end it took a supervisor and two neighbors standing by as witnesses to stop this jerk off from railroading me.

I am STILL angry. To try to calm this moron down I told him I am a former po and my brother is still a po. To that he replied, "I am duly impressed".:n00b: so insulting and humiliating. When it was all over I asked the officer in front of his supervisor for an apology for the way I was treated. That didn't go over well either.

I am so pissed still I can hardly see straight. This is why I tend to conceal carry. Too many uneducated, misinformed idiots in blue.

Get his name...and get one of our attorney's to "re-edumicate him. ;)

Gun Bunny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    This kind of reminds me of the guy in WI that got arrested for "disturbing the peace" when he was planting some trees in his yard. LEO's couldn't get him for OCing so they got him on some trumped up charges.

Glad they didn't have guns drawn on you in your own yard!

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    File a complaint, have a gun cleaning party in your front yard, get a glock flag for your pole. This is VERY bad a LEO is rude /unprofessionall at your house! This LEo needs at least time off for the attiude.

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I appreciate all the responses. I am scheduled to talk with a commander today. The impression I am getting is that the officer got a dressing down and it is being handled but I want to be sure.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I appreciate all the responses. I am scheduled to talk with a commander today. The impression I am getting is that the officer got a dressing down and it is being handled but I want to be sure.

Please request that the ENTIRE DEPARTMENT be educated on the concept of 1) Carry on your OWN PROPERTY and also on 2) Open Carry OFF your property with a LTCH. Ask for follow up (copy of the memos, video of the instructional meeting, etc)

The way I see it, the supervisor who came to your property is JUST AS GUILTY as the young officer. He should have resolved the situation right on the spot. The fact that you didn't get your apology from both of them is a sign that neither was well informed.

Save the rest of the residents a lot of hassle and get the commander to retrain his officers.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    "..he wants to get home to his family blah blah" implies he was responding to a threat. Pray tell, how is a man mowing his lawn with a gun on his hip on private property, a threat? :dunno:

Hey you never know He could have been a lawn terrorist ...out destroying america's Lawns by mowing them to low ..:D:laugh::laugh::laugh::D:rolleyes:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    There are too many of these types of posts. We need to start naming names of officers involved. Embarrass them, embarrass their command, their departments, and barrage mayors and chiefs with complaints. Maybe then some will think twice about abusing their positions.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    There are too many of these types of posts. We need to start naming names of officers involved. Embarrass them, embarrass their command, their departments, and barrage mayors and chiefs with complaints. Maybe then some will think twice about abusing their positions.

They won't be embarrassed by having their names posted here. It will only make them mad.

Personally I like to build a bridge of civility and understanding between civilians and the police. It would be better if we all shared common goals and worked together rather than try to embarrass them.

Sure there are some bad cops. There are some bad civilians too. I strongly believe that the OP needs to take this to a logical conclusion and insure that ALL officers are trained in the simple laws of OC in our Hoosier state, but we should not be out to embarrass officers. Yes, from the description the officer played the role of 'bad cop' and likely was a total douchebag, yes, the officer needs to get smacked. But that is for his command to do.

But so does the supervisor who came to the rescue. The supervisor should have apologized for his officer and should have required the officer to apologize too. Clearly BOTH are at fault but only 1 has the focus of most of the posts in this thread.

JMO

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom