• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    One would think so, but obviously that doesn't happen (or at least didn't happen here). Clearly there must be some explanation for this gross incompetence.

Or gross incompetence is the explanation.

It's just ridiculous that this happened and it was on his own property.

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I'm curious did the officers ever go to the neighbor?
    They did after the super arrived. It went pretty well after he got there but it turned a little ugly again after I asked, politely I may add, that I would appreciate an apology considering I did nothing wrong and was exceptionally compliant even beyond what the law calls for. That was when I got the "who do you think you are to question a PO" attitude. I told them I manage people in my job and would expect my employees to apologize if they behaved inappropriately. The Sargeant said, "Well, no harm no foul" and they left.:dunno: Very friendly but not responsive.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You BETTER file an official complaint and start looking into legal remedies as well. As an officer myself, I'd like to let you know, that I apologize for his ignorance. We're not all like that.

Last edited:

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    You BETTER file an official complaint and start looking into legal remedies as well. As an officer myself, I'd like to let you know, that I apology for his ignorance. We're not all like that.
    Oh, I know that!:) No cop bashing here. This was just a very young officer looking to pick a fight and a sarg not wanting to stir the crap, I suspect.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Oh, I know that!:) No cop bashing here. This was just a very young officer looking to pick a fight and a sarg not wanting to stir the crap, I suspect.

If a complain isn't filed, this "young officer" will be free to do it again to someone else, and maybe next time it'll end up worse. If he's doing his training in the field through trial and error, then the OP is doing him a disservice by wasting his classroom time. His quiz should earn him an "F" for the day.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    If a complain isn't filed, this "young officer" :chuck:will be free to do it again to someone else :nono:, and maybe next time it'll end up worse. If he's doing his training in the field through trial and error :bash:, then the OP is doing him a disservice by wasting his classroom time. His quiz should earn him an "F" for the day.

This ^^ :+1:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Worst part about the whole thing was it happend on your property. But dont let that discourage you, if you want to OC do it you have that right! But yes I would file a complaint no question. I do kind of like the idead of OC'ing an AR or something the next time out doing yard work:laugh:

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm gonna be the devils advocate here to a point. We don't know what the actual call to the PD was. The "young officer" doesn't have the option on what calls to respond to and what ones not to respond to. If he is dispatched he has to respond. Put yourself in his shoes for a minute. He's responding to a call about someone with a gun. He wants to get home to his family at the end of his shift like we all would. He didn't ask for your gun from your post, he asked for your LTCH. The way he asked could have been better, but he gets trained to keep control of a situation because when he loses control all sorts of bad things happen for everybody. Having said that, I'd still request a visit with the Police Chief to discuss how you were treated. Instead of being confrontational he could have said "sir I just asked to see your LTCH due to a complaint" or something along those lines. PO's deal with all kinds of situations and what it looks like at first glance is hardly ever what it really is. He reamins firm, but polite. I try to give them the benefit of the doubt for some of their actions. SOME. I would still talk to the Chief and see what he has to say. Maybe they can come up with something so this doesn't happen again to you or someone else going forward.

Those are my two pennies on the situation.:twocents:

RetDep310

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Columbus
    Sorry for your bad encounter. I assure you that not all LEO's are that way. I have to admit that firearms laws aren't one of the training topics normally brought up in annual training, but my former department did keep us updated with laws as they changed, and the state posts those changes. The individual officer needs to take the initiative to make sure he/she knows at least the most common laws concerning firearm carry.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I'm gonna be the devils advocate here to a point. We don't know what the actual call to the PD was. The "young officer" doesn't have the option on what calls to respond to and what ones not to respond to. If he is dispatched he has to respond. Put yourself in his shoes for a minute. He's responding to a call about someone with a gun. He wants to get home to his family at the end of his shift like we all would. He didn't ask for your gun from your post, he asked for your LTCH. The way he asked could have been better, but he gets trained to keep control of a situation because when he loses control all sorts of bad things happen for everybody. Having said that, I'd still request a visit with the Police Chief to discuss how you were treated. Instead of being confrontational he could have said "sir I just asked to see your LTCH due to a complaint" or something along those lines. PO's deal with all kinds of situations and what it looks like at first glance is hardly ever what it really is. He reamins firm, but polite. I try to give them the benefit of the doubt for some of their actions. SOME. I would still talk to the Chief and see what he has to say. Maybe they can come up with something so this doesn't happen again to you or someone else going forward.

He had no more cause, or right, to ask for the OP's LTCH than he would have had to ask for his "permit" for the lawn mower. Neither item is illegal on private property.

"..he wants to get home to his family blah blah"
    implies he was responding to a threat. Pray tell, how is a man mowing his lawn with a gun on his hip on private property, a threat? :dunno:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

I also want to go home at the end of my shift. But I don't think an re-enactment of the "North Hollywood Shootout" is about to go down everytime I see a gun. This is where common sense comes in. If I get a "man with a gun call," of course I'm going to respond. If I arrive and see a guy riding a lawnmower with a gun on his hip, I'm immediately going to roll my eyes, and think about how ridiculous the situation I've been dispatched to is. I will make contact, and inform the gun owner that some of his neighbors obviously don't appreciate the way he carries his weapon (just kinda to give him a heads up). I would then go to the complainant's home if it wouldn't be made obvious to the gunowner who the person is (by phone if so), and have a talk about why they had an issue.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I also want to go home at the end of my shift. But I don't think an re-enactment of the "North Hollywood Shootout" is about to go down everytime I see a gun. This is where common sense comes in. If I get a "man with a gun call," of course I'm going to respond. If I arrive and see a guy riding a lawnmower with a gun on his hip, I'm immediately going to roll my eyes, and think about how ridiculous the situation I've been dispatched to is. I will make contact, and inform the gun owner that some of his neighbors obviously don't appreciate the way he carries his weapon (just kinda to give him a heads up). I would then go to the complainant's home if it wouldn't be made obvious to the gunowner who the person is (by phone if so), and have a talk about why they had an issue.

Can't rep you again, sorry... :rolleyes:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana

THIS.

Thank you Kutnupe for posting how an experienced, professional, and level headed officer would respond. Now we just need to work on the dispatchers too.

P.S. Can you come to Evansville? We really need some help with our department...

Top Bottom