• Status
    Not open for further replies.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    After reading more about the run in at city market, it was stated the main issue that initiated the encounter with the LEO's was someone carrying an MP5 around.....which would be well outside the norm of what one would expect to see at the place where you buy cookies. I am not sure you would normally see MP5's at the place you buy cookies in Bosnia, much less Indianapolis.

True, in Indiana, we currently have the right to carry MP5's when we buy cookies, and some may feel that right needs to be vigorously defended. However, if I am eating my cookie with my kids, and someone I don't know comes in with an MP5, I will be very relieved to see a LEO check them out and vet them as non-criminal or non-psycho. If they refused to be identified or refused to cooperate, I would be relieved to see them handcuffed until their story was sorted out.

Does that make me a commie? Or make me hate the 2nd Amendment? Or do
    I just seriously question the judgment of someone who would bring an MP5 to a cookie shop, like I would question the judgment of someone bringing rifles near a shopping mall on Black Friday?

Have a LEO check us when we are carrying is not the problem, I don't mind being asked for my LTCH and ID when carrying it's the detaining and taking of weapons that has to stop.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    After reading more about the run in at city market, it was stated the main issue that initiated the encounter with the LEO's was someone carrying an MP5 around.....which would be well outside the norm of what one would expect to see at the place where you buy cookies. I am not sure you would normally see MP5's at the place you buy cookies in Bosnia, much less Indianapolis.

True, in Indiana, we currently have the right to carry MP5's when we buy cookies, and some may feel that right needs to be vigorously defended. However, if I am eating my cookie with my kids, and someone I don't know comes in with an MP5, I will be very relieved to see a LEO check them out and vet them as non-criminal or non-psycho. If they refused to be identified or refused to cooperate, I would be relieved to see them handcuffed until their story was sorted out.

Does that make me a commie? Or make me hate the 2nd Amendment? Or do I just seriously question the judgment of someone who would bring an MP5 to a cookie shop, like I would question the judgment of someone bringing rifles near a shopping mall on Black Friday?

the gentleman that was cuffed was NOT carrying an MP5. The gentleman who was cuffed had a handgun only and showed his ID.
    So now how do you feel about that?

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Does that make me a commie? Or make me hate the 2nd Amendment? Or do I just seriously question the judgment of someone who would bring an MP5 to a cookie shop, like I would question the judgment of someone bringing rifles near a shopping mall on Black Friday?

Do you question when people protest at a military funeral while a family is trying to mourn?

If you would question someone's judgement for carrying something they are legally allowed to carry, you should probably be carrying a handgun yourself just in case they have bad judgement and are indeed a criminal.

If they had ill-intentions you wouldn't have time for the cops to come check them out anyway. :twocents:

Freelancer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    the gentleman that was cuffed was NOT carrying an MP5. The gentleman who was cuffed had a handgun only and showed his ID.
    So now how do you feel about that?

The same as before. He was standing next to the guy with the MP5, and was refusing to follow the instructions of the officer. If you were a cop, what would you do? Think to yourself, gee! These are some savvy law abiding citizens just out enjoying lunch with a machine gun, I'll let them on their way!

Seriously?

You are going to get detained because this is not something normal people would do. You don't normally need to bring an MP5 to lunch, unless you are stationed in Iraq. Are you honestly ok with someone you don't know just showing up someplace you take your kids with a rifle, and you are just going to automatically know this person isn't a psycho?

Freelancer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Do you question when people protest at a military funeral while a family is trying to mourn?

If you would question someone's judgement for carrying something they are legally allowed to carry, you should probably be carrying a handgun yourself just in case they have bad judgement and are indeed a criminal.

If they had ill-intentions you wouldn't have time for the cops to come check them out anyway. :twocents:

That is an excellent question....SHOULD we be allowed to carry a rifle into a Hagaan Dazs? I am not sure that's a right I would really wanna fight for, being able to carry a 9mm seems to be enough firepower for when I am getting my double scoop on.... ;)

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    The same as before. He was standing next to the guy with the MP5, and was refusing to follow the instructions of the officer. If you were a cop, what would you do? Think to yourself, gee! These are some savvy law abiding citizens just out enjoying lunch with a machine gun, I'll let them on their way!

Seriously?

You are going to get detained because this is not something normal people would do. You don't normally need to bring an MP5 to lunch, unless you are stationed in Iraq. Are you honestly ok with someone you don't know just showing up someplace you take your kids with a rifle, and you are just going to automatically know this person isn't a psycho?

So we are just supposed to do whatever a cop says to do even if we are doing nothing illegal?

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    That is an excellent question....SHOULD we be allowed to carry a rifle into a Hagaan Dazs? I am not sure that's a right I would really wanna fight for, being able to carry a 9mm seems to be enough firepower for when I am getting my double scoop on.... ;)

Dude, NEVER Carry a Long Gun into a Hagaan Dazs? The Extra Rich Cream Will Rust the Barrel :rolleyes:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010

Dont confuse your opinion with my rights.

THe problem with your logic is that you will give up the right to carry a MP5(which is a handgun in Indiana) for your right to carry your Hipoint.

You cant have it both ways.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side

Seriously?

he refused to unload his handgun in a crowded market. I for one would rather his handgun stay safely in his holster. We all know the more a gun is handled, the more likely it is to go off. So especially with my children there, I would have been glad they checked his ID, saw he was a ok and let it go at that. There was no reason to disarm him or to ask him to unload it in a crowded market.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Several members are planning on carrying only long guns because they don't need a license to carry a long gun. Therefore there should be no reason for LEO's to ask for ID.

I'm ignorant on long-gun laws... But you don't need a license to carry to bring a rifle to am event like this? My friend doesn't have an ltch, but he's coming with me and owns a rifle.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009

I think so, if you have the right to carry a pistol why not a rifle?

Maybe you think it's not necessary but that's your opinion

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I'm ignorant on long-gun laws... But you don't need a license to carry to bring a rifle to am event like this? My friend doesn't have an ltch, but he's coming with me and owns a rifle.

No license needed to carry a long gun.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I am actually really glad this discussion is going as it is, because we are in fact, educating right here in this thread, even before we have the event +1 on education.:yesway:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom