• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I will unfortunately not be available for this event due to holiday-family obligations. I must admit that I am still undecided whether I would be willing to openly carry a long gun downtown. Just OCing a handgun downtown would not be an issue at all as I have done that more than once. While I am 100% in support of the spirit of this event, there is a part of me that must consider the possibility of something going wrong. Even if every participant acts in a completely responsible manner (and I fully expect that to be the case) an over-reaction by an observer has the potential to create a negative incident. The severity and extent of that incident is completely unknown.

If I were responsible for no one other than myself, I likely would enjoy the idea of strapping on my "scariest looking black long gun" and taking a walk along with everyone else. The possibility, however remote, that I would create a burden to my family or inhibit my ability to continue in my responsibilities is what is giving me pause, regardless of the fact that any incident would undoubtedly not be the result of any wrongdoing by me or any event participant.

I am in no way attempting to discourage anyone from participating in this event. I simply felt the need as a member of this board to make my position known. I have great respect for many members on this board. I can see validity in many of the positions taken regarding this event. Hopefully my position won't create a loss of respect towards me from anyone here as I expect to be a part of this board and others for a long time.

I do have one suggestion. I haven't read about any established protocol for talking to the media. I would suggest that the group stay together as much as possible so if an interview takes place it can be directed to one person to speak for the group. This way whatever message you wish to convey will stay consistent. I would also suggest that a video camera (other than the one from the media) be used to record any interaction with the media in its entirety. That way if the media chooses to do any editing to create an impression other than what was intended, the complete version of what occurred will be available to refute it. All of this may very well already be planned for, I just thought I'd throw it out there because I haven't seen it anywhere else.

Despite the possibility of something going wrong, my feeling is that this will likely turn out to be a fun event without any of the drama that some in the media are salivating about. I look forward to the AAR! :twocents:

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Since I planned this event I will be speaking to the media, and we have the fliers to hand out

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    And just for the record I'm going to be carrying a lever action .22, I hope others will follow my lead and not bring their AR's and AK's

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Supr, I tried to pull it off my email but I can't, I suggest you PM ATF Consumer so he can email it to you

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    And just for the record I'm going to be carrying a lever action .22, I hope others will follow my lead and not bring their AR's and AK's

Please allow me to play devil's advocate. So, you are now the only speaker? Are other walkers not encouraged to exercise their right to free speech? Also, are you now advocating that AR's and AK's not be utilized? Isn't that similar to what some others have been asking, referring to the use of long guns, period? Where is the freedom in what you are asking as compared to what others have voiced?

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Please allow me to play devil's advocate. So, you are now the only speaker? Are other walkers not encouraged to exercise their right to free speech? Also, are you now advocating that AR's and AK's not be utilized? Isn't that similar to what some others have been asking, referring to the use of long guns, period? Where is the freedom in what you are asking as compared to what others have voiced?

No I'm not the only speaker, anyone can speak, and anyone can bring whatever gun they want, I'm making recommendations because of the increased scrutiny of the event because of the media coverage.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    whywewalkpage1.png

gunlawf.png

whyguniscivil.png

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    No I'm not the only speaker, anyone can speak, and anyone can bring whatever gun they want, I'm making recommendations because of the increased scrutiny of the event because of the media coverage.

So, the increased scrutiny by the media is causing you to take pause, but the voice of your fellow 2A brothers and sisters have caused many of them to be labeled traitors and communists? I know you didn't say any of these things, but doesn't that seem a little backwards?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    To be honest, I had my doubts about this event. I thought it was a terrible idea.

But, after reading the last couple pages, you all opened my eyes. What you are doing NOW instead is WAY smarter.

I still think something COULD happen, but you all are preparing for the worst.

Seriously, good luck guys!

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    It's a common thought really. And its a fine line.

That's why I don't want people to feel like INGO doesn't care about their event, or that it cares about one more than another. INGO is a great place, and I'm glad its here, but its the MEMBERS that make the events awesome. :ingo:

When we (INGO Staff) are speaking to the media, and we're explaining what INGO is and what we provide, we aren't saying that we don't support it, but rather that we don't take a position one way or the other.

Off topic, and I don't want to start an argument, but maybe if the INGO doesn't want to take a position on the events, and doesn't want to claim "INGO events" the section should be renamed "member events" instead of "INGO events" :twocents:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Off topic, and I don't want to start an argument, but maybe if the INGO doesn't want to take a position on the events, and doesn't want to claim "INGO events" the section should be renamed "member events" instead of "INGO events" :twocents:
    :rofl:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

Good one, Cru! :laugh: Whatever the section is called, I don't think anyone here believes any particular event is owned by INGO. Conversely, anyone from the outside just lurking will see it as an INGO event, regardless what it's called.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom