• Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    That's pretty dangerous.

Darn tootin'. Only bad things are going to happen with that approach. Too many instinctive reactions can happen, an elbow back toward the source, attempt to draw and end up wrestling with a loaded pistol before you realize who it is, pull a knife and stab the hand.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    GOOD JOB!!!!......you had a relativley good experience....there is an issue with Indianapolis officers sneaking up behind you...and without announcing their presence or intentions placing their hand on your weapon or in some cases removing it from your holster....this is asking for a provoked arrest, injury, lawsuit, and/or death...

It's not that I don't believe you... but this sounds so darn stupid that I would want to see some verification to trust that I understand just what they are actually doing. This is akin to an electrician sticking a bobbypin into a electrical outlet to see if it is hot. I am sure it has happened... but not to any electrician that wants to live the next few minutes.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    It's not that I don't believe you... but this sounds so darn stupid that I would want to see some verification to trust that I understand just what they are actually doing. This is akin to an electrician sticking a bobbypin into a electrical outlet to see if it is hot. I am sure it has happened... but not to any electrician that wants to live the next few minutes.

Yeah, I tend to agree with you Jack. This sounds a little over the top. I would want verification before believing this as well.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    There are at least 2 cited cases of it within the last week happening downtown. Both have filed formal complaint with the department and sent formal emails to various city government representatives. In response to both the officer's actions and the lack of support from their superiors this group (citizens for civil rights) is forming to collect citizens similar occurences and present them to city council as well as other branches of local and state government in a formal demand for better educating local PD's on how to appropriately handle the situation respectfully and without disregarding the citizens' rights. You can find them on Facebook and join the cause if you wish. They do not require funds, just click a Like button, and help however you can. Sitting silently and complaining about governments actions or lack thereof will never change their actions. Combine together for common goals and you have a much bigger voice. Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Yeah, I tend to agree with you Jack. This sounds a little over the top. I would want verification before believing this as well.
    I distinctly remember one posted here on INGO. For the life of me, I can't find it now (darn you, search tool!). It was at least a year ago. Maybe Google will find it for me....

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I distinctly remember one posted here on INGO. For the life of me, I can't find it now (darn you, search tool!). It was at least a year ago. Maybe Google will find it for me....

Ok, it wasn't a year ago because I believe I was talking to the guy it happened to unless we are thinking of different ones. It might not have been its own thread either. but alas I agree with those who say that this happens. First hand accounts on here to say the least.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I had been harrassed on two separate occasions a few years ago...one, the officers snuck up behind me and placed his hand on my gun and the ONLY reason I didn't turn around with my front mounted fixed blade and drop him was because a friend was in front of me and saw the officer coming up to me and gave me a look and quietly said "dont" when I initially felt the hand....that was STUPID of any cop....the second time I was harrassed by a bunch of idiots who thought they knew the laws better than me even though I had a copy of IC 35 in my truck...SEVEN officers surrounded me removed my weapon, stripped it entirely down adn removed every round from the mag and proceeded to harrass me for 30 minutes about both openly carrying and my choice in weapon at the time (Beretta)...as if they thought wearing a badge made them firearms/ballistics experts...I was pretty irate about both of them and in fact called a high ranking official whom I'm friends with...but basically told me there was nothing I could do without knowing each of their names and ID #'s...and at the time I was so furious I didn't think to try to get them

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    freud-quote.png

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    LEO: Why are you walking around with a gun?
    ME: Because I can’t carry a cop on my back.
    LEO: Because you can’t carry what?
    ME: Because I can’t carry a cop on my back.
    I just about peed myself
    Now that's funny!!!! :) :)
    Seriously, kudos to you for standing up for your rights!!!!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    You can't make up that kind of "doe eyed" ignorance!
    :yesway: blonde teenage girls :rockwoot:

Thanks for that Bill. I did the same thing as you did, only I went to the Extension Office, which is in the "Annex Building". It houses the jail, dispatch, Recorder...blah blah....and they have a court room too. I actually didn't even know there was a courtroom until I was leaving and saw a sign that said "Courtroom ^". I'm not sure what it is for. Every time (yes multiple) that I've been to jury duty it was in the "Courthouse" on the "Square".

So by what you said, if it isn't "The Courthouse"(?), and there isn't a sign, then it is legal to carry?

You're welcome. As I understand it, a law must prohibit something for it to be unlawful, thus, unless I know there to be a courtroom in the building and until notified that there is, I'll consider being prohibited to carry in a government building to be a financial opportunity. If that happens, I'll drop a line to the various attorneys of whom I'm aware on INGO and see which of them would like to take the case. This is an excellent situation by which you can challenge government action in court without actually becoming a "criminal".

I recall the situation as well. Someone at a WalMart had one of their security (or a cop, I forget which) come up behind and grab his gun... I THINK that's the thread that someone linked in this one.

Blessings,
    Bill

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    But when OCing, are we not just "asking" for it?

And an attractive woman who is dressed provacatively is "asking for it" when she gets assaulted so that makes the rapists actions OK? :dunno:

How is this any different?

You have a right to remain silent. Use it. Also, just plainly say "I'm not answering that question" or "no, I don't want to discuss that with you". The officer will probably get angry but I assure you its better to face that than play the rat race of questions which they have HOURS upon HOURS of practice at. They will always get the best of you. And you were not intimidating people btw. You were breaking no laws. The less you speak, the better off you are. Also, YOU asked first if he was asking you to leave. You might have been able to stay, but you gave the opening invention for the officer to ask you to leave. I see someone posed eariler that they do have a no weapon policy, which isn't a surprise I guess.

Yeah, i think it would have been better for him to simply ask the cop if it was private property & have the cop come up with the idea to have him leave.

BUT just because a person asks a cop to do something that isn't legal for the cop to do doesn't miraculously make it otherwise legal.

If someone told the cop "go ahead, just shoot me" & the cop did when they were offering no threat of SBI, the cops actions would still be illegal.

Maybe it's the fact that I'm new to the forums, but it seems by the way alot of people on here talk that you all are open carrying all the time. It also seems like a lot of you are walking around hoping that you can incite some type of excitement from a LEO or ignorant civilian.

Yeah, I think it is EXACTLY the fact that you are new to the forums that you think that since most people here DON'T OC.

Also, since you are so new to the forums it is bad form to come on here & insult "a lot" of the people on INGO without spending any REAL time getting to know the people you just insulted.

Marion County Fairgrounds has a similar rule, When I rented the facility it was stated in the contracted No Firearms are permitted on fairground property.

So they REQUIRE you to have a no firearms policy if you rent the place for a private function?

I may be wrong but I think that falls under having a "rule, policy or ordinance" as prohibited by the new pre-emption law.

So, who's going to take that one to court?

3x's attorneys fees, baby! :rockwoot:

You would have to expect this happening at a county fair. Just carry concealed so you dont ruin your kids day!

Proving a point must be more important than your kids. Well done.

Or we could all just sit down, shut up & take it & teach our kids to not stand up fort their Rights that they probably won't even have when they are of age because of people like you who are too afraid to stand up for their Rights.

:rolleyes:

+1

OiRadio47

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Mishawaka
    YEAH! You should expect to be hassled while performing a lawful activity! YEAH! It's the OP's fault YEAH! NOT the Reserve Deputy who didn't know the law YEAH! It's totally ridiculous to show your kids how to stand up for one's principles YEAH! :rolleyes:

Let me know when you guys change the worlds opinion. Im holding my breath.

OiRadio47

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Mishawaka
    -1 for you. CC rhetoric in an OC thread shame shame. But telling a man how to raise his kids??? I see no better opportunity to teach my kids about their rights and responsibilities as Americans than OCing in public and handling problem encounters in the outstanding way that the OP did. I guess your poor children will be too afraid of ruining their day that they won't be willing to excersize their rights any way they want either.

First off, i oc and cc. Im not a oc hater. At a place like that, you know they dont want exposed weapons. So why complain when they ask you to leave? Common sense.

Second, i can care less about your silly negative rep. I wont lose any sleep tonight over it!

;)

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Let me know when you guys change the worlds opinion. Im holding my breath.
    I don't really care what you or anyone else thinks or even feels. Sorry your wants, needs, and desires just do not matter to me. It is a really big puddle you are swimming in out there.
    First off, i oc and cc. Im not a oc hater. At a place like that, you know they dont want exposed weapons. So why complain when they ask you to leave? Common sense.

Second, i can care less about your silly negative rep. I wont lose any sleep tonight over it!

;)
    First how about you carry how ever you feel is the right way for YOU, then shut the hellup on how I choose to carry as long as it is LEGAL...

Second, refer to my reply for your post above this one...

Bmrdude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    An unfortunate incident. Thankfully you were tactful and well knowledged in Indiana law. Me, I don't carry open. My reason... if a purp sees me carrying a gun... I become the first target to shoot!

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana

;)
    I dont carry with the intention of letting everyone else decide what I do. You are probably the kind of guy that thinks an OWB holster under a jacket is OC. :rolleyes:

I think I might just OC at this years Fall Festival and take notes (and a recorder). I usually CC in large crowds that tend to be fairly violent. And I'm not talking gun violence I'm talking highschool kids getting into scuffles...

Top Bottom